View Full Version : advice on amatuer boxing

The Young Gun
07-07-2008, 03:28 AM
was good, i been boxing in philly now for about 2 1/2 months. iam 5'6 140 my styles left handed k0 power. i gotta work on my stamina alil more but the owner of the gym approached me and asked me if i wanted to start amatuer boxing" i replied helly ****in yeah " iam just wanderin if it too early too start amatuer fights or not? and when did sum of use first start?

aussieboxer2320
07-07-2008, 05:18 AM
well 2 and a half months of training probably isnt enough, i had my first fight 6 months after i first started but 8-10 months is probably best but it all depends on your progress

P4PKING_2008
07-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Your style? Left handed ko power? :lol1: You havn't even had a fight yet.

The Young Gun
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
yeaaa iam left handed correct iam setting up to be a k0 puncher. u no 1st 2nd 3rd round k0's. believe me i been in about hundred street fights i no what power i have.

mr tricky
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
well when i had been going about 6 months, i really started to question myself on wen i was going to get my first fight,

i felt i was ready and didnt see anything wrong,

now ive been going almost 2 years and im alomst ready for my first fight, looking back im so glad i waited because ive improved so much since then and i want to keep my record as good as possible,

then longer you train the more advantge your gona have wen u start off fighting oters who havent waited,

still in america ive heard its diffrent and u fight afte rlike 1 month or 2 mothns so its up tou

sukhenkoy
07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
yeaaa iam left handed correct iam setting up to be a k0 puncher. u no 1st 2nd 3rd round k0's. believe me i been in about hundred street fights i no what power i have.

Advice: don't start out too ****y on these forums. These posters will be quick to bash you, regardless of how many street fights you've had (because street fights don't mean nothing when it comes to boxing). Good luck with your training.

mspiegelo
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
ive been training for 3 months and don't intend to fight for another 5 upon the advice of my trainer. our gym has a lot of golden glove medalists in different divisions and a 99% success rate in first fights based on taking our time to develop skills before competing. my advice: keep training another couple of months and spar, spar, spar. Spar friends, guys better, guys who are worse, guys from other gyms (with lighter gloves like 16 oz or 14 oz if they are game). if you're a ko puncher, work on your stamina and box game. you won't be able to ko everybody. if thats your gameplan, youll run into a wall at some point.

what part of philly you from? I grew up in Cheltenham but live in NYC now...

JoHnNyBoXeR
07-07-2008, 10:45 AM
ive been training for 3 months and don't intend to fight for another 5 upon the advice of my trainer. our gym has a lot of golden glove medalists in different divisions and a 99% success rate in first fights based on taking our time to develop skills before competing. my advice: keep training another couple of months and spar, spar, spar. Spar friends, guys better, guys who are worse, guys from other gyms (with lighter gloves like 16 oz or 14 oz if they are game). if you're a ko puncher, work on your stamina and box game. you won't be able to ko everybody. if thats your gameplan, youll run into a wall at some point.

what gym u fighting at?? u at gleasons??? cuz im in a gym in queens that is a boxing/MMA gym.. i want to go to a gym that is strictly boxing

mspiegelo
07-07-2008, 10:51 AM
nyboxing on st nicholas and gates. its dope. come one out dude. brotherhood boxing amateur team fights out of there and there are some pros who train their- luis collazo, travis simms, jaidon codrington....

mspiegelo
07-07-2008, 10:54 AM
i see you're in asotria. the gym's in ridgewood (on the border of bushwick, bk). you might wanna find a bus that connects. its off the l train dekalb or myrtle stops or the m train seneca/palmetto stop. sorry for the hijack!:hijacked:

JoHnNyBoXeR
07-07-2008, 10:54 AM

nyboxing on st nicholas and gates. its dope. come one out dude. brotherhood boxing amateur team fights out of there and there are some pros who train their- luis collazo, travis simms, jaidon codrington....

aight thats uptown .. next question:: how much dough is it?? and whats the number imma call them today

mspiegelo
07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
well- i'll leave the finance to the phone call since there are a bunch of options to choose from. the good thing is that you don't have to pay for a trainer serperately. The fee is for semi-private training meaning each day you'll be teamed up with one of the trainers there and they are all good. its a real team without any of the grimey attempts from trainer to steal kids away from other trainers. its also a communal vibe which is nice. 718-366-6585. ill be there from 5-8 or 9 today. look for the tall skinny white dude with the long hair. my names mike! good luck.

Luke.l.08
07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
you shouldnt be gettin in street fights! my friend did and got scars on his knuckles, because of that he did not pass his medical!

JoHnNyBoXeR
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
well- i'll leave the finance to the phone call since there are a bunch of options to choose from. the good thing is that you don't have to pay for a trainer serperately. The fee is for semi-private training meaning each day you'll be teamed up with one of the trainers there and they are all good. its a real team without any of the grimey attempts from trainer to steal kids away from other trainers. its also a communal vibe which is nice. 718-366-6585. ill be there from 5-8 or 9 today. look for the tall skinny white dude with the long hair. my names mike! good luck.

kool.. my gym membership expires on the 14th so imma check it out.. that number is a fax number.. they gott another or a website?

mspiegelo
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
woops- 718 366-6586. sorry about that and for the off-topic posting.

Sadler
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM
was good, i been boxing in philly now for about 2 1/2 months. iam 5'6 140 my styles left handed k0 power. i gotta work on my stamina alil more but the owner of the gym approached me and asked me if i wanted to start amatuer boxing" i replied helly ****in yeah " iam just wanderin if it too early too start amatuer fights or not? and when did sum of use first start?

If you class your "style" as left hand KO power, youre probably a southpaw.
And if you dont even know what a southpaw is yet you need a bit more time!

Sadler
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM

lol you must be the greatest street fighter on the planet then according to your avatar cause you aint got a scratch on you!

sweet*science
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Young Gun, I have been boxing for nearly a year now and my first fight in coming up August 23rd. I actually have a opportunity to compete at another advancing tournament prior to that fight but I believe I am going to pass. I say wait it out a bit like someone said already, street fighting and boxing are two completely different things. With only two months under your belt you have a lot to learn and probably need to get your body conditioned for whats ahead of you. I'd say wait.

Good luck.

The Young Gun
07-07-2008, 02:05 PM
believe me i no street fightin has nothin to do with it i got in the ring my sec day and sparred n got alil peaced up. what he said was how do u no u have k0 power 'i replied i been in ln aot street fights i no what kinda power i have. sum fighters are built to be ko fighters sum are built to be 12 round decesions. effective straight Right and Cross with power" i set it up with 2 right jabs, i like to throw em" off with the staight left counter, step in get low right hook to the chin.

sterling
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
left handed ko power style! lol jus take ur time lol.

King James III
07-07-2008, 02:10 PM

lol if i had a dollar for how many people have said that...or something similar. Next is the half-assed video saying u got mad skills and KO power...then u get owned in a sparring session with a 10 year old girl and you come back to reality....lol on another note just keep training, dont worry about your "KO' power just get a trainer and work on technique

Sadler
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
left handed ko power style! lol jus take ur time lol.

lol that'll end up being his catchphrase

laurinsane8
07-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Yes I would agree that 2 months isn't enough training. I mean you could go out there and start fighting but you might get you butt handed to you. Take your time don't be in a rush. Find yourself a good sparring parter or two and work with them. That will let you know if you're ready for fighting yet.

I didn't spar for a good 4-6 months. And my first fight came almost a year after I had been training. But trust me the dealy paid off and I could tell when I was fighting someone with improper training because it was a piece of cake. Don't be someone's piece of cake.

The Young Gun
07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
i found it odd too when he aksed me i def thought it was alil early i dont no maybe he saw sumthing in me. i dont **** around in the gym i dont joke with the kids i go in there and work my ass off. that might be a reason why.

!! Shawn
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I love when these kids come in the gym. "Ive had like 150 street fights!" "I got power!" "I'm ready to fight now!"

P4PKING_2008
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
i found it odd too when he aksed me i def thought it was alil early i dont no maybe he saw sumthing in me. i dont **** around in the gym i dont joke with the kids i go in there and work my ass off. that might be a reason why.

Post up a video of you on the bag or shadow boxing.

JoHnNyBoXeR
07-07-2008, 10:31 PM

yo man i went by there and saw ray.. that **** is the real deal.. ill be seeing u there next week!!! good looks on that!

mspiegelo
07-07-2008, 11:09 PM
yo man i went by there and saw ray.. that **** is the real deal.. ill be seeing u there next week!!! good looks on that!

nice. see ya at the gym bud...

mspiegelo
07-07-2008, 11:57 PM

btw, can you tell ray that mike spiegel recommended you to the gym. itll save me 20 bucks for membership this month, haha. just found that out. thanks bro!

JoHnNyBoXeR
07-08-2008, 12:02 AM

yea no doubt

Rafael Benitez
07-08-2008, 12:42 AM
I love when these kids come in the gym. "Ive had like 150 street fights!" "I got power!" "I'm ready to fight now!"Sounds a bit like yourself.

I think anyone starting out in boxing should get some sparring done and look towards getting into as many amateur bouts as possible. No point pondering over this or that, just do it.

!! Shawn
07-08-2008, 12:44 AM
This message is hidden because Rafael Benitez is on your ignore list.

Is it just me or is Rafael Benitez getting smarter? Oh wait, nope thats just the ignore message!

Rafael Benitez
07-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Is it just me or is Rafael Benitez getting smarter? Oh wait, nope thats just the ignore message!

Ignore as many people as you want, they can still leave a message on your profile saying what a tit you are. It is funny how you have so many! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings when I told you that you were ****.

!! Shawn
07-08-2008, 01:15 AM

I really really really hope that Rafael Benitez is not dumb enough to still be trying to talk to me. That would be very disappointing. I don't know if anyone can really be that dumb.

Rafael Benitez
07-08-2008, 01:18 AM
I really really really hope that Rafael Benitez is not dumb enough to still be trying to talk to me. That would be very disappointing. I don't know if anyone can really be that dumb.
I was never talking to you in first place son. Just laughing at your gay videos of your gay trailer park gym.

Man, I wonder if they compete in am's, they would be one hell of a human punchbag supplier.

!! Shawn
07-08-2008, 01:22 AM

He is still going at it? 50 bucks says he talks to his pet rock.

Rafael Benitez
07-08-2008, 01:28 AM
He is still going at it? 50 bucks says he talks to his pet rock.

It is clear to see that shawn is the tit who can't stop replying. His videos are enough to prove how much of a loser he is, which is why he can't stop replying to an auto message. Guy has some issues besides his inability to box. Over and out.

!! Shawn
07-08-2008, 01:30 AM

I wonder if it was this much fun being Jesus.

Sadler
07-08-2008, 02:17 AM
I was never talking to you in first place son. Just laughing at your gay videos of your gay trailer park gym.

Man, I wonder if they compete in am's, they would be one hell of a human punchbag supplier.

calm down bruv leave him alone

Nick Fury
07-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Yo sterling, thats Gamboa in your avatar correct? I work with the dudes uncle lol

Nick Fury
07-09-2008, 10:18 AM
oh and your sig is......ridiculous