View Full Version : Sledge swinging onto tire

batista
07-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Who here does it and how long do you do it for?

iceman55
07-05-2008, 12:17 AM
If it means anything Pavlik does it at the Iron Man Warehouse nearby where he lives. He basically does all sorts of strong man stuff and has stamina and endurance for days so if I had a big enough tire and a sledge hammer id do it too. I do swing a bat at a heavy bag for as long as I can left and right.

Smokin'J
07-05-2008, 02:20 AM
If it means anything Pavlik does it at the Iron Man Warehouse nearby where he lives. He basically does all sorts of strong man stuff and has stamina and endurance for days so if I had a big enough tire and a sledge hammer id do it too. I do swing a bat at a heavy bag for as long as I can left and right.

Maaan, I ****ed my heavybag up with the bat. Aahahahaha.
I'll stick to the old punching instead hitting with a bat.

Landon S
07-05-2008, 02:51 AM
I just started doing it. How long you do it depends on the workout. I recently did this:
20 second swings (I stand with my feet in a boxing stance, switch to southpaw sometimes)
10 second rest
20 second burpees
10 second rest
repeated for 10 minutes, honestly I found it too easy so maybe 15 minutes would be better.

You can also try picking a number like 500-1000 swings and go as fast as possible trying to beat your time each time.

d_lyrik803
07-05-2008, 05:19 PM
i do it. i usually do it every other day of training and i do a few mins of it
i do 1 minute each side and then 1 minute alternating each side. do it for 2 rounds and then i flipped the tire for a round. theres other exercises like pushing and pulling the tire but i dont do that type of tire training, yet.

Pork Chop
07-05-2008, 05:28 PM
I do it for like 20 or 30 reps a set; one set each arm and once both arms together (3 sets) and run up and down this ramp behind my gym 5 or 10 times in between each.
I also wear the 23lb weight vest when I do it.
You may want to work up to rounds of 3 min straight with suicides for a minute in between.

An old story from the gym I used to go to in Fort Worth is that pro boxer Daniel Zaragoza showed up one day and used the sledgehammer on the tire for 45 min straight. It was one of those jumbo tractor tires and he actually stood on it while swinging.

cibola4
07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
i dont use a sledge, but i have this huge dead tree trunk my dad and i pulled up a while back in my backyard, so i take an axe to it, 80 times with each arm...
to be honest the only reason i started doing it is cuz muhammad ali supposedly did it to prepare for his fight with foreman...
but so far i can feel the results real well...
my back is alot more defined and my punches feel stronger.

sugarshanenas
07-10-2008, 12:17 AM
i dont use a sledge, but i have this huge dead tree trunk my dad and i pulled up a while back in my backyard, so i take an axe to it, 80 times with each arm...
to be honest the only reason i started doing it is cuz muhammad ali supposedly did it to prepare for his fight with foreman...
but so far i can feel the results real well...
my back is alot more defined and my punches feel stronger.

how heavy is the axe?

Rafael Benitez
07-10-2008, 12:30 AM
**** this gay ****, sounds like bollocks to me. Just play cricket instead. Siwng that heavy bat before the corcky ball puts a hole in your leg!

batista
07-10-2008, 01:04 AM
**** this gay ****, sounds like bollocks to me. Just play cricket instead. Siwng that heavy bat before the corcky ball puts a hole in your leg!

Nah, it ain't bollocks. I train as old school as most and am pretty cautious about using new **** in my program. I have done my research.

KingDosia
07-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Who here does it and how long do you do it for?

There is a simple equation for these types of exersizes. Go with high intensity for the length of a round. Rest for the length of a rest period for what ever it is. Go for another round. Set a goal of 4 rnds if you can, but keep it intense. What ever you are doing to train for boxing be it the heavy bag or a sledge hammer keep it intense. You will do yourself no favors counting out a certain number of blows. HIt that ****er

cibola4
07-10-2008, 01:21 AM
how heavy is the axe?

haha dont get me wrong i am not a behemith
on 5 11' 165lb.
and still well undertrained...

but the axe only weighs seven pounds
but believe me it feels a lot heavier after three sets of eighty with each arm...hahah...
i might move up weight but

right now...

i can afford a new axe so
this will do for just for toning and helping me build up my punching muscles for now..:usa1:

cibola4
07-10-2008, 01:22 AM
can't* afford

the_godslayer
07-10-2008, 07:24 AM
There is a simple equation for these types of exersizes. Go with high intensity for the length of a round. Rest for the length of a rest period for what ever it is. Go for another round. Set a goal of 4 rnds if you can, but keep it intense. What ever you are doing to train for boxing be it the heavy bag or a sledge hammer keep it intense. You will do yourself no favors counting out a certain number of blows. HIt that ****er

This ^^^^ is the best advice on the subject so far.

potatoes
07-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Years ago I remember seeing the newsreel footage of Jack Dempsey chopping wood. It was all part of the training back in those days. Hitting the tire with a sledge hammer is just a modern variation of old fashioned boxing training.

cibola4
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
i will remember that...
i really need to get a timer..haha...damn.

kamicazze
07-12-2008, 06:29 AM
done it few times for jui juitsu! 50 swings each side then flip the tire!
do it 3 times