View Full Version : Tryin to get into Boxing

Big P
06-30-2008, 05:36 AM
I was just wondering how much weight i would gain if i start boxing or am i able to keep the weight im at and just box.
I'm about 5'11-6'0 and about 139ish- is that a healthy weight to go into boxing?

thx alot

King James III
06-30-2008, 05:56 AM
yea thats a good weight ur at....thats light-welterweight the division that I am in

Big P
06-30-2008, 05:59 AM
i was wondering whats the average height in the light welterweight div?

aussieboxer2320
06-30-2008, 07:09 AM
average height for light welters varies like any other div cos of different builds and that but i'd say around 5''7-5''10 just a rough estimation based on the heights of some prominent light welters....dont worry about your height weight etc just yet. boxing accomodates all different shapes and builds etc

also, i seriously doubt you will gain weight while doing boxing training...if you did you would be the first i have ever seen.

msagrain
06-30-2008, 07:14 AM
i was wondering whats the average height in the light welterweight div?

Khan is a lightweight and he is 5'10 and he is one of the biggest lightweights around.

TheTruthIs
06-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Weight and conditioning are two of the biggest fears and most common questions I think I see, and I see it everywhere on the net for people thinking about starting.

You wanna box? You get your butt to a boxing gym and it will all sort itself out. It's just that simple...

mr tricky
06-30-2008, 12:07 PM
dont fuss on weight and height,

your just starting off, learnt he basics jab hook, right, footowrk, see how good you are at sparring ect......then if you mabey get a fight then worry about weight

Big P
06-30-2008, 04:29 PM
How much is it to start going to a boxing gym and all that?

mr tricky
07-01-2008, 07:24 AM
price varies alot,

my boxing gym used to be 50p (25$) a session its now 1 (66$)

is the dollar sign the same for cents?

Anyway, it can cost alot more like monelty expensive memberships, most are cheap though

P4PKING_2008
07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
price varies alot,

my boxing gym used to be 50p (25$) a session its now 1 (66$)

is the dollar sign the same for cents?

Anyway, it can cost alot more like monelty expensive memberships, most are cheap though

:lol1: :rofl:

msagrain
07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Mine is 1 a time but i'm going some boxfit class atm and it's 3 a time.

The_Shawnster
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Good luck on starting boxing!

Just a few tips for you to practice in front of the mirror:-

1. Hold your hands around chest height

2. Stay on the heels of your feet, god footwork is essential in the sport of boxing

3. For maximum, tense up when you throw your shots, the harder you tense the bigger your bombs!

4. Keep your head still, many make the misake of moving their heads. Big no no! Keep your head still and dead straight in front of your opponent.

5. Breathe through your mouth! Keeping your mouth closed can cause you to get knocked out quicker!

6.Conserve energy by punching with your arms and not with your hips and body! Remember all the strength in a punch comes from your arms.

7. To maintain muscle mass and lose body fat eat a diet high in carbs and low in protein. Just before bed have a snack high in sugar and fat to give your body the special nutrients required to recover overnight.

8. Make sure you incorporate a good weight lifting programme to aid your boxing. There's a right way and wrong way to lift for boxing. You need to do legs, chest, back, arms and shoulders on the same day at least 4 times a week for maximum gain!

9. Make sure you take supplements. An excellent one is Methoxy. It's a legal steroid which at least 90% of boxers take to help their own training. Mike Tyson was quoted as saying Methoxy made him the boxer that he was. When he lost to Buster Douglas he was slacking on his training and diet and had stopped taking Methoxy for 9 months

10. Finally, always seek 2nd opinions. Boxing coaches are amongst the dumbest breed of human being you'll come across. Many will discredit your speed and capability of holding your hands low out of pure green eye jealousy! Always seek the help of fellow boxers on forums such as this one!

All the best!

P.S. Mr_Tricky has some excellent videos displaying technique and ability! Check them out!

Towelie
07-01-2008, 02:29 PM

2. Stay on the heels of your feet, god footwork is essential in the sport of boxing

3. For maximum, tense up when you throw your shots, the harder you tense the bigger your bombs!

4. Keep your head still, many make the misake of moving their heads. Big no no! Keep your head still and dead straight in front of your opponent.

5. Breathe through your mouth! Keeping your mouth closed can cause you to get knocked out quicker!

6.Conserve energy by punching with your arms and not with your hips and body! Remember all the strength in a punch comes from your arms.

7. To maintain muscle mass and lose body fat eat a diet high in carbs and low in protein. Just before bed have a snack high in sugar and fat to give your body the special nutrients required to recover overnight.

8. Make sure you incorporate a good weight lifting programme to aid your boxing. There's a right way and wrong way to lift for boxing. You need to do legs, chest, back, arms and shoulders on the same day at least 4 times a week for maximum gain!

9. Make sure you take supplements. An excellent one is Methoxy. It's a legal steroid which at least 90% of boxers take to help their own training. Mike Tyson was quoted as saying Methoxy made him the boxer that he was. When he lost to Buster Douglas he was slacking on his training and diet and had stopped taking Methoxy for 9 months

10. Finally, always seek 2nd opinions. Boxing coaches are amongst the dumbest breed of human being you'll come across. Many will discredit your speed and capability of holding your hands low out of pure green eye jealousy! Always seek the help of fellow boxers on forums such as this one!

All the best!

P.S. Mr_Tricky has some excellent videos displaying technique and ability! Check them out!

This guy has some great tips, you should seriously heed this advice hes been in the game for years....it made him an animal. Shawnster why are you not a trainer yet?

d_lyrik803
07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
i pay 85$ a month at my gym, im not sure if thats too much but we have some good trainers and 2 golden gloves champ. i would just go ahead and start training and not worry about weight or height. i see a lot of peeps with good potential come in and leave just because they get bored of the routine. try it, see if you really like it, and if you do keep going everyday. always give it your 100% at the gym, try to get your trainer to make your training hard and you yourself make it harder than it already is. that gives you good conditioning and mental training, and also your money's worth. keep busy, train hard, and don't slack.

mr tricky
07-01-2008, 03:29 PM

All the best!

lol dont lisen to this guy ,

its a fake acount to mimic !!shaun,

he purposly telling you bulls*** everyting on there is oopasite to what you should do, ingore it