View Full Version : Anyone see the Khan fight?

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Twas a fooking disgrace.

Gomez was well in that fight, and that last flurry that Khan threw, the last 5 punches missed completely. Weren't blocked, he MISSED!

And ITV still have the cheek to call it a good stoppage!

The hype job continues.

On a lighter note though, any fight that contains Khan on the floor is good by me.

number6
06-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Gomez was blocking too many shots with his head. His defence had gone completely and he wasn't landing any of his own.

He put up a brave fight but as expected, he ran out of gas after 4 rounds like he has done over the last few years.

I thought this was a mismatch before the fight but it turned out to be one of the best fights this year. Glad to be wrong.

I still think the stoppage was well timed tho.

Adam1979
06-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Yeah I thought the stoppage came at the right time. Gomez was taking far too many shots to the head. Hats off to him though for putting up a good fight. Nice to see Khan stuck on his arse again aswell. I cant wait for them to step him up in competition, cos he aint no where near as good as he thinks he is.

The Noose
06-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Bad stoppage, but not terrible. Ref jumped in a bit too quick.

God fight tho.

Amir will get KTFO in the next 3 years.

black.ink
06-22-2008, 05:34 AM
That fight showed he isn't ready for a world class opponent yet. Gomez showed tremendous bravery going into Khan face first, but Khan looked classless against a past-prime fighter who was average at his prime.

Amir better find a good trainer quick because the potential is there, he just needs tuning in places. Especially that suspect chin.

I couldn't help but think what the likes of Katsidis and Casamayor would do to him, yet there are people who think he is ready for these sort of onslaughts.

$partacus
06-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Khans will get knocked out when he fights a decent boxer, he's been knocked down twice by average boxers, his chin is week. Warren knows this and will keep putting Khan in with these fighters.

Mike2104
06-22-2008, 07:00 AM
This fight proved Kahn is still not ready for a world title.
Got hit by a few decent shots and 1 sent him down and the other body shot(in the 4th i think) had him in trouble.
You could tell by Warren's reaction after the fight he knows Kahn isnt ready.

Tha_Greatest
06-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Twas a fooking disgrace.

Gomez was well in that fight, and that last flurry that Khan threw, the last 5 punches missed completely. Weren't blocked, he MISSED!

The hype job continues.

On a lighter note though, any fight that contains Khan on the floor is good by me.

Amir Kahn should retire along with Floyd, if he doesnt want to get exposed,

makaveli_uk
06-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Stoppage was good. He was basically just taking shots, walking in and missing his own.

Funky_Monk
06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I think the stoppage was correct also. He was taking alot at times, and i would perhaps agree the last flurry didnt land much he was going back in straight lines.
He possibly still had a punchers chance but i dont think that chance should have been at the risk of his health.

ophqui
06-22-2008, 09:48 AM
if they dont put khan in with someone good soon he's going to get sparked by someone whos NOT good, and that could be devestating to his career. personally i'd chuck him in with a kastidis NOW, expect him to lose and then let him become a real fighter, rather than a hype job. . . But we all know warren wouldnt do that :rolleyes:

p.s yeah it was a fair stoppage in my eyes, gomez was hurt and i didnt see much changing if the fight continued. sporadic success wouldnt have stopped him getting seriously hurt

Pretty_Hitman
06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Khan's Chin has HUGE question mark over it

Clegg
06-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I felt that the stoppage was a bit quick, but only by about 10 seconds or so.

After the early KD I thought it might be a repeat of the Earl fight, but it turned out to be a very entertaining and competitive match-up.

I think that Khan should take a look at Kelly Pavlik. Like Khan, Pavlik is tall for his weight, but he is an expert at using that to keep shorter fighters on the end of his reach. Pavlik managed to hit Lockett with several power shots despite staying on the outside and remaining composed. Khan on the other hand rushes in and commits himself too much, and last night he allowed Gomez to get inside and fight his kind of fight.

Khan showed against St Clair that he's capable of keeping someone on the end of his jab for 12 rounds. He should've fought the same way last night. Gomez hasn't been to the late stages of a fight for years, and he would've become desperate and wild after a couple of rounds, which would've given Khan several openings to exploit with his speed and power.

Hopefully Khan will start work with his new trainer ASAP, because there is a lot to work on.

Phill "chalks"
06-22-2008, 12:55 PM
1st post so take it easy!

Yes,I watched it and thought Gomez was very brave coming forward.It may have been stopped a bit too soon for me.
Khan was exposed in area's and is not ready yet for a world title,He could'nt cope with the in yer face close up punches/short range stuff.Warren knows this too! Maybe itv can stop bum licking now?

Been a bit disrespectful to Oliver Harrison too in my honest oppinion.

hookoutofhell
06-22-2008, 01:05 PM
gomez did really well in the fight and gave a good account of himself, the stoppage was too soon imo, khan did miss with alot of the shots and gomexz was always htting back - the ref should have given gomez another 10 seconds and if he hadn't thrown back then halted the fight.

as for khan he was far from imprssive - proabably due to the lack of a trainer but khan's infghting looked crap and his chin was exposed again.

if fighters like gomez and willie limond can floor khan imagine what a top quality puncher would do or even someone who would just throw more punches. a better fighter would have hit kahn to the head after landing that body shot in the fourth.

khan thinks he could beat diaz or pac-man then he must be having a laugh.
________
Mflb (http://vaporizer.org/)

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I honestly don't believe some of you think that stoppage was fair in any way, Gomez slipped 5 out of the last 6 punches, which proves his head was still in the fight.

The Amir Khan't hype train was not about to be derailed by abum though, so Khan had to get a gift stoppage.

That fight was bull****, and only proved what real boxing fans already knew, Khan is an average fighter with a ****ty chin and bad defense.

CardioMonster
06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I was screaming when the referee stopped it and I also agree that Khans flurry didnt even land. The only hope Khan has of becoming a good world class boxer is if he adopts the philly shell defence like winky did. Winky used to get battered around the ring like a ping pong ball until he learned the art of defence.

Khan is great going forward, but he needs the head gear back to win a recognisible world title.

Funky_Monk
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I honestly don't believe some of you think that stoppage was fair in any way, Gomez slipped 5 out of the last 6 punches, which proves his head was still in the fight.

The Amir Khan't hype train was not about to be derailed by abum though, so Khan had to get a gift stoppage.

That fight was bull****, and only proved what real boxing fans already knew, Khan is an average fighter with a ****ty chin and bad defense.
So do you think Gomez had any more than a punchers chance? Also at that point he hadn't landed much for some time.

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-22-2008, 03:21 PM
So do you think Gomez had any more than a punchers chance? Also at that point he hadn't landed much for some time.

If it was stopped because he only had a punchers chance, the fight should have never been sanctioned in the first place, a punchers chance is all he ever had.

Gomez might not have been landing, but he was covering up and slipping all the shots Khan was throwing, the stoppage was bull****.

Bobby Shaw
06-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Twas a fooking disgrace.

The hype job continues.

GEt used to it mate.Khan is a 'great fighter'.He's gonna be a world champion soon and he will be a champion for 15yrs.Very soon Khan will be having hands problems,everytime a good fighter will be mentioned Khan's hands will start giving him problems like Joe used to have.

The hype job will continue and Khan will be filling stadiums soon.

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-22-2008, 03:25 PM
GEt used to it mate.Khan is a 'great fighter'.He's gonna be a world champion soon and he will be a champion for 15yrs.Very soon Khan will be having hands problems,everytime a good fighter will be mentioned Khan's hands will start giving him problems like Joe used to have.

The hype job will continue and Khan will be filling stadiums soon.

You have just proved how little boxing knowledge you truly have, you are a disgrace to all stupid Americans, and that's saying something.

Clegg
06-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I have yet to see a chiyoko post that isn't a piece of ****.

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I have yet to see a chiyoko post that isn't a piece of ****.

LOL same, he is just a typical hate filled, pre pubescent American.

I would put him on ignore, but he's not even worth the effort.

majestiC
06-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Stick him in with Murray and lets see what hes made of.

FeFist
06-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I saw the fight he looked green to me. I just don't see him dealing with a hard hitter like Pac. He needs to work on his defence, the type of fighter he is, he shouldn't be trading the shots the way he was, he also needs to be more careful with his punches a lot of people were impressed I found it to me amateurist to be honest.

abadger
06-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Stick him in with Murray and lets see what hes made of.

The tennis player?

I would actually pay to see that.

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-22-2008, 09:13 PM
The tennis player?

I would actually pay to see that.

I think he meant Mitchell, which is a fight I would pay to see.

Mitchell by KO in the mid rounds, if it ever happens.

Clegg
06-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Murray=John Murray, soon to be British LW champion

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=213216&cat=boxer

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Murray=John Murray, soon to be British LW champion

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=213216&cat=boxer

Ah I see, fair enough.

Don't know enough about him to make a judgement, but it would appear as though he has been in with better opposition than Khan, so on those grounds I'm going to have to favour him.

Wouldn't be suprised if China Chin beat him though.

Rafael Benitez
06-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Can't wait to see the idiot on the floor, so I'll carry on tuning in. Apart from ITV's propganda, it was all the more amusing when Khan said he took out a world class fighter! Not even five years ago was Gomez world class! He's a knob in real life too, a right chav and I'm going to be laughing my balls off when he licks that canvas. Mainly because the look on Warren's face will be priceless! It will serve him right for trying to con Joe public.

Nate126
06-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Amir can do no right. After every fight it's "he'll get knocked out" , 'I can't wait to see him get knocked out", "he'll lose again a big time puncher".. He obviously has a lot of holes in his game, not every 21 year old are perfect. like someone else said, under a new trainer, he'll become much more polished.

Rafael Benitez
06-23-2008, 12:17 AM
if they dont put khan in with someone good soon he's going to get sparked by someone whos NOT good, and that could be devestating to his career. personally i'd chuck him in with a kastidis NOW, expect him to lose and then let him become a real fighter, rather than a hype job. . . But we all know warren wouldnt do that :rolleyes:

p.s yeah it was a fair stoppage in my eyes, gomez was hurt and i didnt see much changing if the fight continued. sporadic success wouldnt have stopped him getting seriously hurt

Rubbish, he was hurt so many times I wouldn't have written off Gomez seriously taking him out. He has been hurt before by feather fisted featherweights, so if Warren did put him in with a lightweight he might get decapitated. Putting him in with someone good soon is a risk and Fwank knows it. This is because Amir is a fraud with a glass chin.

In America, he would be unknown. Way too much attention for a silver medallist and pro prospect. The hype probably helped killed the prospects slim prospects. Same as fat useless **** eyed Wayne Rooney. England is good at making a big deal out of raw talent and then ruining it. Shrek would have been better developing his own game at Everton, and concentrating more on finishing. UK need to make their stars earn their reps.

BRAVE-HEART
06-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Slightly early stoppage, but whatever. Gomez caught khan afew times with big punches and almost knocked khan down. If khan serioulsy thinks he can beat pacman and cotto, hes living in a ****ing dream world !

sterling
06-23-2008, 03:10 AM
Khan has chin problems and defense problems.

the_godslayer
06-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Khan has chin problems and defense problems.

This is very true .... Gomez is in the twilight of his career and look at the trouble he caused ....IMO Khan is VERY guilty of believing his own hype .... that could get him in serious trouble with the top guys in the division.

Never Alone
06-23-2008, 03:52 AM
The stoppage was a bit too quick, however, had the referee allowed another ten seconds he would have been stopping the fight anyway. Gomez was a couple of shots away from going when it was stopped.

Once again the fight pointed to Khan's weaknesses and not his strengths. He's nowhere near becoming a champion. Warren's show isn't going to last.

Boxing Bully
06-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I really hope Amir signs up roger mayweather to train him, he needs to improve his defense and roger is the man who would be able to help him the most

Rafael Benitez
06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
This is very true .... Gomez is in the twilight of his career and look at the trouble he caused ....IMO Khan is VERY guilty of believing his own hype .Not the issue. He simply is not good enough. I know from a reliable source that he has a problem with his beak too. So does Daniel Agger but he can still play footy. I think Khan just isn't grade A material. Not even Hatton standard. In fact, even Witter and Woods type fighters never licked so much canvas at local level.

The stoppage was a bit too quick, however, had the referee allowed another ten seconds he would have been stopping the fight anyway. Gomez was a couple of shots away from going when it was stopped.

.Bollocks. Looked no different to the flurries in other rounds, and when he was hurt to the body he was hitting him with the same pitty patter shots before.

I really hope Amir signs up roger mayweather to train him, he needs to improve his defense and roger is the man who would be able to help him the most
I don't think Roger would be interested in a ****e overrated fighter unless Warren was really willing to risk megabucks. Just because he did some padwork with him don' mean ****e. If Roger sat down and watched his fights, he would laugh his **** off.

The Legacy
06-25-2008, 01:55 PM
It was a good fight and I got really into it. I was cheering on Gomez but in the end Khan was far too quick for him to handle.

I feared the worst when Gomez was knocked down after about 30 seconds but credit to him, he got up and managed to land some good shots on Khan.

Gomez did well when he got really close to Khan and forced him back on the ropes, hitting him with body shots and then letting fly with the hook but he seemed to tire going into Round 5. When he stood off Khan he was getting hit with 6/7/8 hit combos and I was amazed he managed to stay up at one point when he was taking a load of hits to the face.

Khan really needs to sort out his defence before he goes for a title.

Njord777
06-25-2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3654605#post3654605

In case you missed it.

Oh, and I've already been told by several posters that I'm a "hater"....so....no need to do that again.

The Legacy
06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Good analysis and I agree with what you've said.

Defence is what Khan really needs to work on.

Decypher
06-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Gomez had been down from a body shot, but imo, there was nothing to suggest he was hurt by the head shots that created the stoppage. Gomez had already taken and survived combinations like that.

Decypher
06-25-2008, 08:10 PM
If it was stopped because he only had a punchers chance, the fight should have never been sanctioned in the first place, a punchers chance is all he ever had.

Gomez might not have been landing, but he was covering up and slipping all the shots Khan was throwing, the stoppage was bull****.

It was bull**** indeed. Gomez wasn't hurt. The ref just decided to save him from the punishment. And if you aren't going to let people fight, why even start a boxing match?

Early stoppage seems to be all too common in a British ring.

`STEELHEAD
06-26-2008, 01:37 AM
after watching the gomez fight i'm starting to question khans power.
and khan gets hit so much from these 2nd and third tier opponents:
http://www.boxingvideosonline.com/2008/06/amir-khan-vs-michael-gomez.html

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
after watching the gomez fight i'm starting to question khans power.
and khan gets hit so much from these 2nd and third tier opponents:
http://www.boxingvideosonline.com/2008/06/amir-khan-vs-michael-gomez.html

It's all very well beating people who are brought in to fall over, but his power is not what he thinks it is and his defense is ****.

When you have defense as bad as Khan's, you need a chin you can depend on, and he doesn't have it.

I have seen 3 knockdowns that Khan has suffered.

1 was against a guy who was naturally the weight below.

1 was against a non puncher.

1was against another non puncher, only this time he was still in headguards.

Khan will go nowhere, mark my words.

sparked_85
06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Khan is still good enough to win a world title.

He won't be elite though because someone will knock him the **** out.

Khan would rape Katsidis.

BetterCallSaul
06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
I like Khan but he will suffer because of the lack of belief Warren has shown in him. Khan should have been fighting Gomez around his 13-14th fight. His defence has not improved since then because the level of his oppopents has not waranted him to. Yes he has been down a couple of time but he has got straight back up on both occasions. Against bigger punchers like Pac or Campbell he may not.

Khan will be a world champion but he wont be elite. How many boxers are elite? Most of the great boxers today have 3-5 defeats, and I can see Khan with a similar record but with a couple of belts.

Khan is terrificly exiting, much much more than any other prospect. When he gets a trainer that can teach him the art of defence, he will be a great fighter.

To agree with my man above, Khan would rape Katsidis. Using the official boxing scene standard of laws, Katsidis got put down by feather fisted Earl who Khan beat in 70 seconds. Thus Khan would rape Katsidis.

madsamurai
06-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Khan is the latest in a tradition of protected Olympiads -going back at least as far as ray leonard in '76' so its no surprise that his diet blown up featherweights or light hitting journeymen - and I wouldnt mind a bit if he would drop the " title shot this year " rubbish - which after gomez looks like he is gonna have to.

Gomez's last best night was against Arthur in 2003 and even then the talk was he was a spent force and a comfortable opponent for Arthur - he upset the form book that night and nearly did against Khan.

any of the full fledged lightweights in the world top ten rankings will cause Khan allsorts of trouble and he lacks the firepower to dominate at that level
- just look at the shots he hit Gomez with , if he had world class power like he thinks he has Gomez would have been finished in round 1 .

you cant put in what God left out - a world class chin and world class power.

sorry Amir - its Franks WBO belt for you but no P4P cigar - not even close.

Rafael Benitez
07-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Good analysis and I agree with what you've said.

Defence is what Khan really needs to work on.
He can't work on ****. He gets rocked by featherweight journeymen and has a problem with his beak. The kid's finsihed before he started. Another overrated Brit prospect like Gay Force.

KJB
07-07-2008, 01:07 AM
You guys know Ali was knocked down several times early in his career, and many pointed to a weak chin as is downfall..... same happened to Trinidad.... same happened to De La Hoya.
Amir Khan is 21 years old, anyone writing him off this early is jumping the gun by a long shot.

x-PeROxiDE-x
07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I like Khan but he will suffer because of the lack of belief Warren has shown in him. Khan should have been fighting Gomez around his 13-14th fight. His defence has not improved since then because the level of his oppopents has not waranted him to. Yes he has been down a couple of time but he has got straight back up on both occasions. Against bigger punchers like Pac or Campbell he may not.

Khan will be a world champion but he wont be elite. How many boxers are elite? Most of the great boxers today have 3-5 defeats, and I can see Khan with a similar record but with a couple of belts.

Khan is terrificly exiting, much much more than any other prospect. When he gets a trainer that can teach him the art of defence, he will be a great fighter.

To agree with my man above, Khan would rape Katsidis. Using the official boxing scene standard of laws, Katsidis got put down by feather fisted Earl who Khan beat in 70 seconds. Thus Khan would rape Katsidis.

Give me Kevin Mitchell over Amir Khan't any day of the week.

Rafael Benitez
07-08-2008, 12:12 AM
You guys know Ali was knocked down several times early in his career, and many pointed to a weak chin as is downfall..... same happened to Trinidad.... same happened to De La Hoya.
Amir Khan is 21 years old, anyone writing him off this early is jumping the gun by a long shot.

Henry Cooper was not an area level fighter. Show me one video, just one of Tito or Oscar getting rocked by club fighters on a regular basis. He is simply not world class. 21? It isn't as young as 17. When they said that after Olympics it made sense. But it looks like the chin is here to stay, and he hasn't got many other tools either. England needs to realise that not all top am's comre good. They got overexcited about Audrey too.