View Full Version : The right hook?

Stimpy
06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey, i've started boxing about 3-4 weeks ago and have been going non-stop since I joined. Well my question has to do with the right hook, is it necessary? My trainer said it's an ugly punch and shuns really using it.

note-Now my trainers a pretty experienced guy, he's from Freeport PAL in New York if anyone knows, and Freeport PAL's no joke!

!! Shawn
06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I know people that love the right hook, but I pretty much agree with your trainer. In my experience, it ALWAYS comes off as a looping right hand instead of a hook.

mightymouse2k
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I like the right hook, i find it a very useful power punch to knock my opponent of balance and stop their lateral movement. Also with head movement it can be a pretty vicious suprise attack. In my opinion its another weapon for your arsenal of punches and worth investigating. (Good in a street fight as well).

J_CON
06-21-2008, 03:22 PM
THere is no right hook. Only if your a south paw. You can throw a wide cross though when your in close range and cant get a decent extension on a straight.

jadagod
06-21-2008, 03:49 PM
THere is no right hook. Only if your a south paw. You can throw a wide cross though when your in close range and cant get a decent extension on a straight.

yes there is a right hook we all know what he's talking about

the right hook is very hard to land i don't really try it in sparring u've got to set it up tho like roy jones done to virgill hill

Trrmo
06-21-2008, 03:52 PM
The short right hook can be effective especially in close, ex Australian champ Darren Obah used to clock me with a few of these in sparring years back.
Didnt expect it at the time. Heres a demo by a kickboxing champ. Only thing I was taught different is to keep the thumb upwards when hooking not towards your body. what about everyone else?
<div style="width:491px;background-image:url(http://cdn-www.expertvillage.com/im/extbg.gif);background-repeat:repeat-x;overflow:hidden;" ><object id="__EVPlayerDivObj" width="491" height="424" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.expertvillage.com/player*****?flv=muay-thai-third-basic-punch"><param name="src" value="http://www.expertvillage.com/player*****?flv=muay-thai-third-basic-punch"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="bgcolor" value="000000"><param name="allownetworking" value="all"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><embed src="http://www.expertvillage.com/player*****?flv=muay-thai-third-basic-punch" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="491" height="424"></embed></object> <a href="http://www.expertvillage.com/video/2644_muay-thai-third-basic-punch.htm" target="_blank" style="color:#003399;font-size:12px;font-family:Sans-Serif;display:inline;padding:4px;">Basics of Thai Boxing & Martial Arts : Muay Thai Hook Punch: Thai Boxing Basics</a> -- powered by ExpertVillage.com</div>

mightymouse2k
06-21-2008, 03:59 PM
The short right hook can be effective especially in close, ex Australian champ Darren Obah used to clock me with a few of these in sparring years back.
Didnt expect it at the time. Heres a demo by a kickboxing champ. Only thing I was taught different is to keep the thumb upwards when hooking not towards your body. what about everyone else?

I was taught to keep my thumb up (palms in, not with my thumb sticking out lol)when throwing any type of hook. Its actually interesting to note that i catch more people in my boxing gym with it than in my muay thai gym with a right hook.

fraidycat
06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
If a boxer threw a right hook at me with his elbow that high I'd step in, take it short, and punch a hole right through his liver. The strong-side hook has to be thrown in close, and if you fight orthodox, keep that elbow down and the thumb up. The way he throws that punch may work great in MT but I have had great success in throwing a left hook counter against that exact punch.

mightymouse2k
06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
If a boxer threw a right hook at me with his elbow that high I'd step in, take it short, and punch a hole right through his liver. The strong-side hook has to be thrown in close, and if you fight orthodox, keep that elbow down and the thumb up. The way he throws that punch may work great in MT but I have had great success in throwing a left hook counter against that exact punch.

I think you are right about its use in muay thai, normally (in my muay thai gym) when i throw a right hook i normally use a lead leg technique to keep my opponent at bay and stop him exploiting the openings, unfortuantely you can't do that in boxing and as you state above, it does provide your opponent with a great opening.

Stimpy
06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess i'll shun from using it unless i see a sweet spot.

aussieboxer2320
06-21-2008, 06:45 PM
yeah like if you have your opponent hurt, you can get in close, time it with your jab and drive one home....but never try it long range, its a sloppy and easily countered punch

Karlos1991
06-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I like the right jab but tend to over use it on the outside sometimes.

Hagler★
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
because i lead with my strongest hand, ie jab and powere puch with my right i use the hook alot i find it quite effective and cos its so shunned its quite effective as it isnt a punch many people encounter alot

Onslow.
06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
throw it in close i guess especially to the body.

but ... yeah, right hooks aren't the most popular shots in boxing.

mightymouse2k
06-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey, i've started boxing about 3-4 weeks ago and have been going non-stop since I joined. Well my question has to do with the right hook, is it necessary? My trainer said it's an ugly punch and shuns really using it.

note-Now my trainers a pretty experienced guy, he's from Freeport PAL in New York if anyone knows, and Freeport PAL's no joke!

Why not try it out in the gym and see what happens?, you might find it works for you and if not you'll learn why you shouldn't. I'd just experiment with it and at the very least learn some ways to counter it. Afterall nothing ventured nothing gained.

regards,

johnjamieson
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
you train out of freeport PAL? Ive sparred with kaylib, the 189 junior a few times.

Stimpy
06-23-2008, 01:40 AM
you train out of freeport PAL? Ive sparred with kaylib, the 189 junior a few times.

Theres like 4 kaylib/caleb's...lmao but i'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about

Where do you train at?

Rafael Benitez
06-23-2008, 01:43 AM
People talk some right ****. Doesn't exist? Ugly punch? Comes off as a looping right hand?! WTF. It is for when you are extremely close and can be a nasty surprise. B-Hop finishing off Tito is one of the best one's I have seen. I always preferlanding it after a left hook. Try it, you might like it.

!! Shawn
06-23-2008, 01:48 AM
People talk some right ****. Doesn't exist? Ugly punch? Comes off as a looping right hand?! WTF. It is for when you are extremely close and can be a nasty surprise. B-Hop finishing off Tito is one of the best one's I have seen. I always preferlanding it after a left hook. Try it, you might like it.

That wasn't a hook...

Rafael Benitez
06-23-2008, 01:54 AM
That wasn't a hook...

Was it a looping right? LOL. After the video's you posted, I don't think you can educate me on boxing fella. Seriously, you got a long way to go. You need to get your head out of your arse and do some real training to develop techniques and get some fights. Then get back to me. At the moment it looks like you're not even sure what a jab is.

..David..
06-23-2008, 02:02 AM
i have the right hook prohibited by my coach hahahahaha he doesnt like that punch and doesnt let me use it, and i agree with him because its a very noob punch, many guys starting just throw this as a haymaker and just get themselves tired,
i would say dont use it unless you dont have a choice or you are really owning your opponent and think you can land it.
Still if you master it maybe it can be useful but i doubt it can be as useful as a good left hook.

Rafael Benitez
06-23-2008, 02:07 AM
i have the right hook prohibited by my coach hahahahaha he doesnt like that punch and doesnt let me use it, and i agree with him because its a very noob punch, many guys starting just throw this as a haymaker and just get themselves tired,
i would say dont use it unless you dont have a choice or you are really owning your opponent and think you can land it.
Still if you master it maybe it can be useful but i doubt it can be as useful as a good left hook.

It has nothing to do with the left hook. It is not an alternative to that punch as you would probably have an opening on the other side. Just shows that people don't actually understand what the punch is for. When the angle is too acute for a straight right hand, you throw it then.

Noobs? I can't imagine noobs landing too many of them in a bout. Never seen that mate. They would get their head ripped off. It is a punch to use sparringly.

x-PeROxiDE-x
06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Never shun any punch, but rather learn when to use it so it is effective.

If your trainer is really any good, he will let you learn your own style, rather than attempt to impose his own on you.

johnjamieson
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I train at lumber jack lou's in deer park. Not many guys come out of our gym but some guys you might know are JoJo Llovet (lous son) and adam willet.

Equilibrium
06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I am a southpaw, so my right hook is one of my best punch. I can imagine it would be hard to make it a good punch from the regular stance. But as a southpaw i find it easy to land it on regular stance fighters. If they have a lazy jab it's even easier.

Trrmo
06-23-2008, 07:34 PM
i found the video of b-hop-tito ,its a peach of a right hook.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOGAIu5sAX0

That was a great punch, perfectly executed right hook this video clip should change a few minds about the effectiveness of this punch! I think that Iran Barkley Knocked out Thomas Hearns with a right hook also but not as textbook as the Hopkins punch

Hagler★
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
well that just goes to show the right hook can be effective if learnt properly

Rafael Benitez
06-23-2008, 11:15 PM
That was the punch I was on about earlier on in the thread. I'm glad someone psoted the clip. Where is the forum tit who tried teaching me that it was not a right hook?

Stimpy
06-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Gracias for the responses guys, seems like it's a very debatable punch!

Rafael Benitez
06-24-2008, 01:25 AM
NO! It is a good punch.