View Full Version : Anyone else proud of Lockett?

TheRocketMan
06-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Clearly over matched but he stuck in there throwing some good shots suprisingly even.

I hope he gets paid well for it.

sparked_85
06-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Well yeah he is a fighter and gets my respect because in fairness he is a decent domestic one and light middleweight.

But here he was horribly overmatched.

konaman
06-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Ballsy of him to get in there with an obviously superior boxer, but he got his arse handed to him so it is hard to give him props.

T-97
06-08-2008, 08:09 AM
He caught Pavlik with some good shots, but was dominated all the way i thought he would. Lockett isnt Kellys level, but props for stepping in there.

ATFsven
06-10-2008, 08:11 AM
he seemd to have the balls to throw a few shots after getting hurt early, but he was stood too close to him all night he should have got on his toes a bit.
Bunce did say he got paid $250,000 tho so i can see why he took the fight!

the_godslayer
06-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Lockett caught Pavlik early on with a decent right hand that stunned Kelly for a second, and in the 3rd round after Enzo Calzaghe was screaming at him to throw some punches he did just that .... the difference was in class really, i felt kinda sorry for him but hey... props anyway for taking the fight ... he had a decent 31-1 record at the time and could have stepped away from the #1 contender slot and waited for an easier payday than Kelly Pavlik, but he didnt so fair play to the lad for having a go i say!!!

CraigM
06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Gary is a decent family man, and did his family proud. Pavlik was just awesome

RimmyDelicious
06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
he has nothing to be ashamed of, besides the stupid faces he made at the weighin and during his ring walk.

Bobby Shaw
06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Clearly over matched but he stuck in there throwing some good shots suprisingly even.

I hope he gets paid well for it.
WHat good shots,the man was a punchbag

Nacho_Analstain
06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Pavlik abused him.

CletusVanDamme
06-10-2008, 06:33 PM
He fought like a total *****, I lost count on how many times he took a knee watching the replay. Taking a knee because he was afraid to take anymore shots.

The Wire
06-10-2008, 08:13 PM
He fought like a total *****, I lost count on how many times he took a knee watching the replay. Taking a knee because he was afraid to take anymore shots.
Yeah you couldn't really even call that a brave performance. He was never knocked down, he went down because he was scared of what was coming. Lockett was terrified before the first bell. He was terrified in interviews in the weeks leading up to the fight. He was probably terrified when the fight was signed. And every time he got caught with something close to a clean punch, he could feel the real power that The Ghost was carrying in those gloves and decided to go down before he really connected.

xEDDIEx
06-10-2008, 08:38 PM
he was like a deer in headlights. had no intention of winning the fight, just there for a payday. taking knees every time he got hit clean with something. lockett is pathetic and i hope he never fights again.

Dan...
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Watched the fight on the net. It was fairly disgusting. Fights like this do not help the sport. As far as Lockett putting in a brave performance is concerned, I would have to disagree. Repetitively taking a knee is not bravery.

Muttley85
06-10-2008, 09:44 PM
shame on warren's bum-chums at the WBO, lockett had absolutely no business being ranked in the top 10 let alone being a mandatory challenger

MWMerlino
06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I give him props for taking a knee instead of getting knocked through the ropes. It probably added another fight to his career and a couple more years of life free of dementia.

Unanimous
06-11-2008, 04:05 AM
I give him props for taking a knee instead of getting knocked through the ropes. It probably added another fight to his career and a couple more years of life free of dementia.

Correction, if he doesn't have what it takes to be involved in this sport at the highest level he shouldn't be there. All boxers know the dangers of the sport, if he really was worried about potential dementia in later life he should choose a different form of employment.

Brian13
06-11-2008, 07:15 AM
No because the protection he has been getting from Frank Warren has let to his destruction in the ring

COLINSRI
06-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Shame on him for taking a fight he knew he could not win..........not good for boxing.

danny stash
06-11-2008, 12:04 PM
WHat good shots,the man was a punchbag
So ****ing typical, everyone is giving an obviously inferior fighter his props for getting in the one ignorant idiot with a floyd avatar speaks like a total moron thus aligning that idiot Floyd with his idiot fans

MWMerlino
06-11-2008, 12:28 PM
so ****ing Typical, Everyone Is Giving An Obviously Inferior Fighter His Props For Getting In The One Ignorant Idiot With A Floyd Avatar Speaks Like A Total Moron Thus Aligning That Idiot Floyd With His Idiot Fans

English...do You Speak It?!

hunter010
06-11-2008, 12:32 PM
lockett taking the knee was a good idea , every shot from pavlik seemed to really hurt him , hes hardly gonna stand there in front of him and get KTFO when he can easily take a knee

dfwtx
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
if lockett would have just waited like 6 more fights in england undefeated he probably would have been hyped as the new calzaghe

Pretty_Hitman
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Yeh man, atleast he fought the best

hunter010
06-11-2008, 12:40 PM
calzaghe wins fights , all of them

CardioMonster
06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I was very dissapointed. He supposedly trained 8-12 weeks for this fight and for me, didnt throw enough punches, or get in close.

I know its easy to say from a chair, but i thought he could have given a better account of himself.

It looked to me like he was just in there to survive for a few rounds and didnt actually believe he could win.

Calzaghe was right when talking to him between rounds, he was getting outworked 5-1.

I just thought he wasted everyones time, at least go down fighting and make pavlik work.

terrible performance

MikeBrew328
06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I think the fight against Lockett says a lot about Jermain taylor. Pavlik's shots you don't recover from, and the fact that Taylor made 2 competitive fights says a lot about Taylor's chin and heart

MWMerlino
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I think the fight against Lockett says a lot about Jermain taylor. Pavlik's shots you don't recover from, and the fact that Taylor made 2 competitive fights says a lot about Taylor's chin and heart

On a side note, your sig makes me "lol" erry time i see it.

Bobby Shaw
06-11-2008, 03:57 PM
if lockett would have just waited like 6 more fights in england undefeated he probably would have been hyped as the new calzaghe
He would have been on the pound for pound list

THE REED™
06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
gary lockett sucks

true story

T-97
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
gary lockett sucks

true story

Your just jelous that Lockett aint American reedi....i can see it in you avatar....jelousy.

:rofl:

kfinger56
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
In Lockett's defense, from where I was sitting at the fight which gave me a little bit of an overhead angle, the knee he took in the third looked anything but voluntary. It seemed to me more like he was wobbled, his legs went, and he fell to a knee

The Legacy
06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Lockett was the contender and even though he was criticized for taking the fight by some members of the British media he put that aside and gave it his best shot.

He even managed to land a few shots on Pavlik but in the end The Ghost was on another level.

Xcel
06-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Errrr. He took the fight, lost miserably. Why does this thread exist?

msagrain
06-17-2008, 11:20 AM
If i was rocketman i would be pissed off.

rudy
06-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Locket came with the journeyman attitude, and came to get paid nothing more nothing less

RL_GMA
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
He did great at taking a hell of an ass whippin

Sick/
06-06-2009, 01:48 PM
i was very very proud

Dubious-Dutch
06-06-2009, 01:51 PM
i was very very proud

Why would you bump this thread you ignorant toss pot?

Sick/
06-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Why would you bump this thread you ignorant toss pot?

What's your problem holmes? i thought we were best buds :grouphug:

alza1988
06-06-2009, 03:21 PM
All Lockett won prior to this was a wbu and a wbo inter-continental belt . No British Commonwealth or European belts.He has got a victory over Ryan Rhodes tho
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=14966&cat=boxer

Sick/
06-06-2009, 03:43 PM
All Lockett won prior to this was a wbu and a wbo inter-continental belt . No British Commonwealth or European belts.He has got a victory over Ryan Rhodes tho
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=14966&cat=boxer

Did you see his face after the Rhodes fight?

Dubious-Dutch
06-06-2009, 03:51 PM
What's your problem holmes? i thought we were best buds :grouphug:

I am sorry man, The Rocketmans stare has put fear into me.

Sick/
06-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I am sorry man, The Rocketmans stare has put fear into me.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eRKdzKd8V95S/610x.jpg

Dubious-Dutch
06-06-2009, 04:01 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eRKdzKd8V95S/610x.jpg

How did Pavlik survive that man? There should be a rematch.

Sick/
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
How did Pavlik survive that man? There should be a rematch.

Enzo Calzaghe was paid off to throw the towel in. it's a disgrace.

Dubious-Dutch
06-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Enzo Calzaghe was paid off to throw the towel in. it's a disgrace.

That sick cunt didn't want The Rocketman to outshine his son!

D-MiZe
06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Jennings and Lockett.

:ugh:

Clegg
06-07-2009, 10:44 PM
No.

He didn't earn his shot and (based upon interviews he gave before and after the fight) he didn't seem devoted to the sport and just saw it as a job. I can understand that mentality (we all need money, of course) but I'd rather support the guy who loves boxing and gives it 100%.

Leakbeak
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Lockett caught Pavlik early on with a decent right hand that stunned Kelly for a second, and in the 3rd round after Enzo Calzaghe was screaming at him to throw some punches he did just that .... the difference was in class really, i felt kinda sorry for him but hey... props anyway for taking the fight ... he had a decent 31-1 record at the time and could have stepped away from the #1 contender slot and waited for an easier payday than Kelly Pavlik, but he didnt so fair play to the lad for having a go i say!!!Completely untrue as that 31-1 record was all at British level so his next biggest payday would have been around £40-50k if he didn't take this fight. I'm just guessing but surely a world title shot pays more than fighting bums picked off the streets of Wales

Gary is a decent family man, and did his family proud. Pavlik was just awesomeI didn't know he was a family man. I heard he was a *** which would explain why he shat himself

shame on warren's bum-chums at the WBO, lockett had absolutely no business being ranked in the top 10 let alone being a mandatory challenger
Not the first time he has protected his flock under the WBO route. Nicky Cook, Johnny Nelson, Joe Calzaghe(champ for ten years, lol) & Kendall Holt are a few reasons why that belt shouldn't be recognised like the other three!
No.

He didn't earn his shot and (based upon interviews he gave before and after the fight) he didn't seem devoted to the sport and just saw it as a job. I can understand that mentality (we all need money, of course) but I'd rather support the guy who loves boxing and gives it 100%.He probably loved it as a kid and then lost the passion for it when he grew up. Happens alot in various sports as I know a guy was once on a Premier League relagtion teams bench, who doesn't even want to play part time football on a Saturday now even though it is a good earner!