View Full Version : GSP On Fitch.

Blair_Wells#32
05-23-2008, 05:02 PM
from mmaweekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced on Thursday that in lieu of the injury to Mark Coleman that will keep him out of his scheduled fight with Brock Lesnar, a new main event will feature welterweight champion Georges “Rush” St. Pierre defending his title against No. 1 contender Jon Fitch.

St. Pierre, fresh off of winning back the title on April 19 in his hometown of Montreal, told MMAWeekly.com about the fight with Jon Fitch, “I’m excited. He’s the man to beat and I’m glad to fight him.”

Fitch, who is currently 8-0 in the UFC, comes into the fight having defeated Chris Wilson at UFC 82 in March.

“He’s good everywhere. He’s going to be my toughest opponent so far,” St. Pierre said about his opponent. “Good standing up, very good in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, very good wrestler as well, so it causes a big problem. But I truly believe I will be able to solve them.”

The champion is currently in Denver, where he is helping friend and training partner Nathan Marquardt prepare for his upcoming fight with Thales Leites at UFC 85 in England.

Never backing down from a challenge, the current welterweight king doesn’t mind the short time between fights and welcomes the obstacle Jon Fitch presents.

“Of course I didn’t have a break after (Matt) Serra, but like we say I’ll sleep when I die,” the champion commented.

This will be St. Pierre’s first title defense since beating Serra and his second shot at redemption for a title defense. The last time out as champion defending the title, he dropped the strap to Serra in one of the biggest upsets in MMA history. A mistake St. Pierre doesn’t intend on making again.

“I found out what it takes to be champion and what it takes to stay champion, and I know it this time. It’s going to be a different story,” he said. “I’m not the same guy (as when) I was champion the first time. I’m a different guy. I will show it Aug. 9.”

Prior to his second bout with Serra, it was Jon Fitch who called St. Pierre’s gameplan into question, stating that he didn’t believe the Canadian would stand with his opponent because he feared being knocked out again.

St. Pierre is happy to let his fight game do the talking for him on Aug. 9.

“I don’t have nothing to prove to nobody. He will find out himself during the fight,” St. Pierre stated in response to Fitch’s comments.

Georges St. Pierre will defend his welterweight championship against Jon Fitch on August 9 in Minnesota as the main event of UFC 87.