View Full Version : Kevin Ferguson, the REAL Kimbo Slice...

Cuauhtémoc1520
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
A little long but a great read to those that want to see who this guy really is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3405201

- "Friends say he has never been a bully, but he likes little else more than fighting them. His first videotaped street fight—a 2003 scrap that traveled from a Miami backyard to the world, the one in which he dropped his fists and kept advancing after letting the sculpted beast across from him take shots at his face, the one that earned him $3,000 for a knockout—was against a dude who'd been terrorizing the neighborhood with crime and fear. (Ferguson himself has never been arrested for a violent act. His one blotter incident came in 2002, when he was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and an open container; the weapons charge was dropped.)"

- "But there are haters, too. MMA elitists treat Kimbo like a circus act. They hate that he is representing their sport on Jimmy Kimmel. Hate that he's guaranteed six figures per bout like only the world's top fighters. Hate that he's on magazine covers and that George Karl motivates his Nuggets with footage of Kimbo. "More and more people are resenting him and his success,"

Kimbo - "To hurt someone vulnerable, I just couldn't do it like that," he says. "You want to be a good father and productive citizen. I could have been on the cover of the newspaper as a killer. I had to fight with myself not to hurt people, some serious mental wars. But who would have raised my boys? They would have grown up knowing their dad died another violent death. They would have been angry, and now, instead of one person dying a violent death, you've got two other little protégés who would have grown up just as violent and vicious, causing even more harm to people. I couldn't have that. I've got to be a guide to my kids. Nobody else is going to do it."

- "Can he keep winning? Who knows? His ground game hasn't been tested, but he's been working for nearly a year in LA (where he stays with IceyMike) with legendary trainer Bas Rutten, a fifth-degree black belt in karate. "Kimbo's a freak with strength," Rutten says. "I wish all my fighters were like him. He has more tools than people think." And Kimbo has already beaten back three doubters with both bloody fists."

baya
05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
great read. i'm now OFFICIALLY a fan.

guys determination is outstanding.

Cuauhtémoc1520
05-23-2008, 11:19 AM
great read. i'm now OFFICIALLY a fan.

guys determination is outstanding.

Bro, I don't know how people can hate on this dude. He's so humble and the places he's been in his life are at the rock bottom. So many young black inner-city kids trun to drugs and gangs and this guy never once got arrested for anything like that. He has been arrested once and it was for open container and a weapons charge that was later dropped.

Much respect to Kimbo, reguardless of how far he makes it.

baya
05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Bro, I don't know how people can hate on this dude. He's so humble and the places he's been in his life are at the rock bottom. So many young black inner-city kids trun to drugs and gangs and this guy never once got arrested for anything like that. He has been arrested once and it was for open container and a weapons charge that was later dropped.

Much respect to Kimbo, reguardless of how far he makes it.

i did at a time, because i was ignorant. just thought he was some ****en thug bad guy.

after this, wow.

1bad65
05-23-2008, 12:19 PM
He's still being promoted by the same guys who were responsible for the backyard fights!

He's playing both sides of the fence. He still acts all thug when he's around those lowlife types, but he puts on his professional, serious MMA fighter mask when he is on Jimmy Kimmel and giving interviews to the serious MMA press.

He's all hype.

1bad65
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
i did at a time, because i was ignorant. just thought he was some ****en thug bad guy.

He's really not a thug. Honest. I even posted earlier he is college educated. He got a scholastic scholarship to go to college. He's never been to prison. He is a family man. I respect that.

The problem is that he STILL associates with the very same guys who built him up as a thug.

Cuauhtémoc1520
05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
He's still being promoted by the same guys who were responsible for the backyard fights!

He's playing both sides of the fence. He still acts all thug when he's around those lowlife types, but he puts on his professional, serious MMA fighter mask when he is on Jimmy Kimmel and giving interviews to the serious MMA press.

He's all hype.

Again, you couldn't be more wrong. If the guy had a checkered past and then wanted to act "civilized", I would agree. He has been arrested 1 tim ein his entire life, and the neighborhood he grew up in in Miami, that's not easy.

I'm not congratulating him for not being a thug but more so because it's so easy to fall into the traps of the street. So what if he smashed a few heads to get where he needed to get, he did it against men who were willing to fight him.

And he's not being promoted by the same guys as he was in the street, he's being promoted by the guy who hired him to be a body guard/ limo driver for the **** company. Which by the way, is doing it for free.

supremelygifted
05-23-2008, 01:55 PM

He's all hype.

First of all, there is no ACTING thug around thugs! Just like there is no ACTING daddy when you are around your kids. You wear a different hat around your kids than you do around your boss. Calzaghe,PBF and ANY fighter in the fight game is hype! The hype doesn't actually end until after the bell sounds.

supremelygifted
05-23-2008, 02:02 PM
He's really not a thug. Honest. I even posted earlier he is college educated. He got a scholastic scholarship to go to college. He's never been to prison. He is a family man. I respect that.

The problem is that he STILL associates with the very same guys who built him up as a thug.

Just because you're not committing crimes, doing time and you take care of your family doesn't mean you're not a thug. What people in the hood consider a thug is not the same literal meaning as people who do not live in the hood. All thugs aren't bad. If you ask him if he's literally a thug he's say hell no. If someone from the streets asks him he's probably say yes because he understands the figurative meaning without being explained. I'll probably get my ghetto pass revoked for divulging that tidbit but... i'm tired of seeing the word thug get thrown around and not everyone is on the same sheet of music.

HotSizzle
05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Just because you're not committing crimes, doing time and you take care of your family doesn't mean you're not a thug. What people in the hood consider a thug is not the same literal meaning as people who do not live in the hood. All thugs aren't bad. If you ask him if he's literally a thug he's say hell no. If someone from the streets asks him he's probably say yes because he understands the figurative meaning without being explained. I'll probably get my ghetto pass revoked for divulging that tidbit but... i'm tired of seeing the word thug get thrown around and not everyone is on the same sheet of music.

Don't even try it dude, that guy is on kimbos nuts like crazy everypost he makes is either a kimbo thread or something that has to do with him.

Virgil Caine
05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Don't even try it dude, that guy is on kimbos nuts like crazy everypost he makes is either a kimbo thread or something that has to do with him.
Lolz, here we go again with the 1bad being "on Kimbo's nuts" stuff.

1bad65
05-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Again, you couldn't be more wrong. If the guy had a checkered past and then wanted to act "civilized", I would agree. He has been arrested 1 tim ein his entire life, and the neighborhood he grew up in in Miami, that's not easy.

You misunderstood me. I know he is not a criminal. I know he never was in prison. But when he was doing his backyard bs, he was being hyped as an ex-con who learned to fight in prison. He knew he was being hyped this way, and he never stopped the lies.

And he's not being promoted by the same guys as he was in the street, he's being promoted by the guy who hired him to be a body guard/ limo driver for the **** company. Which by the way, is doing it for free.

The **** guys were the ones behind the Internet backyard fights! Did you not know that?

1bad65
05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Lolz, here we go again with the 1bad being "on Kimbo's nuts" stuff.

What's pathetic is HotSizzle uses that term and he has no idea what it means!

HotSizzle
05-24-2008, 12:50 AM
What's pathetic is HotSizzle uses that term and he has no idea what it means!

yup I certainly do not:cop:

Gareth Ivanovic
05-24-2008, 02:41 AM
After reading that I respect Slice of Bread more and it is good that he's taking this seriously, but until he faces somebody with a pulse and does well Im not believing the hype.