View Full Version : Ricky Hatton and Manchester United

number6
05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
This is mainly for the Man City fans out there.

Ricky Hatton is a world class fighter, who has given his fans many great memorys in the past and hopefully in the future, but from day 1 of his career he has sold himself as mr Man City. Maybe even built a fan base off it.

As of recent he seems to go public towards his support for Man Utd. He had Rooney carry the belt out for him in one of his fights and only recently he has made comments about how delighted of the great season the red half have had.

I dont think many City fans out there would have liked to watched Utd lift the Champions League Cup.

Do you think the fame and celebrity links he has made over the years has made him sell out slightly.Not sayin he isnt a City fan anymore by any means but he seems to have taken a bit of a liking to the red half.

As an Everton fan (armchair) i would be very disappointed if a boxer sold himself as Mr Everton for years let Steve Gerrard walk out with the belt and make comments in public about how pleased he is to see Liverpool lift Silverware.

Any thoughts?

Patty Tanager
05-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, he's not as pathetic as the hard core City fans :lol1:. He'd be a bit of a sad act at 29 years of age to be saying, "I'm only doing this for City".

number6
05-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, he's not as pathetic as the hard core City fans :lol1:. He'd be a bit of a sad act at 29 years of age to be saying, "I'm only doing this for City".

I know its not ideal for this kind of thread to be in a boxing forum, but he has built a fan base from this.

If the rolls were reversed and he sold himself as a red and showed emotion towards a City team that was on top of the football world what would you think about the situation?

Patty Tanager
05-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I know its not ideal for this kind of thread to be in a boxing forum, but he has built a fan base from this.

If the rolls were reversed and he sold himself as a red and showed emotion towards a City team that was on top of the football world what would you think about the situation?

I think its only a bit of banter as far as Ricky concerned, and is on most peoples part in Manchester. Plus his brother is an avid Manchester United fan. But there are some football fans who take it all way too serious. I remember reading in the build up to the Castillo fight, that a number of City fans were boycotting the fight because Rooney was taking the belt into the ring. Most fans get along barring the hard core fans, its not as intense as a rivalry like Rangers-Celtic.

Onslow.
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Ricky wouldn't want to alienate any fans of his. It's not unusual for celebrities to do this...

Naseem Hamed is a massive Wednesdayite... but if asked on tv- "oh, i support both the Owls and the Blades."

Erm.. i've heard Michael Palin say this also... but he's a big Unitedite i've heard.

Hatton is definitely true blue - but he has friends in the Man Utd squad... no big problem really...

Shambleton
05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Ricky wouldn't want to alienate any fans of his. It's not unusual for celebrities to do this...

Naseem Hamed is a massive Wednesdayite... but if asked on tv- "oh, i support both the Owls and the Blades."

Erm.. i've heard Michael Palin say this also... but he's a big Unitedite i've heard.

Hatton is definitely true blue - but he has friends in the Man Utd squad... no big problem really...

that's just because no one wants to own up to being a wednesday supporter.

number6
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM

I understand mate, but Hatton has been waving the Man City banner more than most and maybe got a few add on fans from it. I dont remember football colours being part of Naz or Palin's act/show/promotion call it what you will.

Maybe the fans arnt lookin too much into it

Cheers for the opinions though, by the way im not a Hatton hater by any means. I was just slightly surprised with some of the comments i heard from Ricky and wondered what the Man City Hatton fans thought of this.

Nicky_Hatton
05-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I think it operates on this level;

Team, Local Area, Region, Then Nation.

For example;

Man City, The next local team is United so you'd naturally support them. Then You might turn it in to a North V South thing so you'd support the next North team say Liverpool, and then finally any team in England who are representing us abroad.

That's how I normally work anyway.

$partacus
05-22-2008, 10:13 PM
I think a few of Utd players are fans and probably alot of Utd fans too, so he gives them the respect they deserve.

Clegg
05-23-2008, 04:51 AM
In an interview a few months ago Ricky was asked who he would punch if he could hit anyone in the world. His reply was "Christiano Ronaldo", so I'm guessing he doesn't like the team that much.

Then again Ronaldo is such a cunt, I'm guessing there are even a few United fans who'd like to give him a slap.

Andre Wardttke
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
He never claims to support Manchester United, he's just respectful of the teams other people support. He's friends with Wayne Rooney....so what? Should they not be friends because Hatton's a City fan and Rooney plays for United?

feed-the-goat
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
He never claims to support Manchester United, he's just respectful of the teams other people support. He's friends with Wayne Rooney....so what? Should they not be friends because Hatton's a City fan and Rooney plays for United?

course they can be friends. I live in Newton heath and all my mates support united and I support city