View Full Version : Frank Mir v.s. Andre Arlovski at UFC 44

Tanner Rhoden
07-13-2003, 03:47 PM
On the "ADCC news reporting Mir/Arlovski" thread, Ricardo Pires, Frank Mir's trainer, has confirmed that Mir has accepted the fight against Andre Arlovski at UFC 44.

I thought Cabbage was supposed to fight Andre??

badguy
07-13-2003, 07:25 PM
bad move by the UFC and Mir

Zen
07-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Cabbage said on MMAWeekly.com that as far as he knows he's still fighting Arlovski @ UFC44. Who knows what the **** is going on. I think it'll end up being Mir vs. Arlovski @ 44 and Cabbage vs. Tank @ 45.

Tanner Rhoden
07-14-2003, 11:15 AM
On the media conference call announcing the main event for UFC 44, UFC President Dana White also mentioned that Wesley 'Cabbage' Correira would be facing Andre Arlovski.

But now, there have been many reports that this will not be the case and that Frank Mir will be Arlovski's opponent. When MMAWeekly.com spoke to 'Cabbage' on Friday, Cabbage said "I'm training for Arlovski as we speak. I plan on fighting Arlovski then turn around and fight Tank Abbott in a stand up war at UFC 45."

The question is which report is true? The reports are very strong that Mir will be facing Arlovski at UFC 44 and that they are saving Cabbage for the stand up war he expects against Tank Abbott at UFC 45. Odds are the UFC is hoping that Cabbage takes out Abbott in an impressive fashion and becomes the new bad boy of MMA. There is no doubt in my mind that he will do it.

The Mir vs. Arlovski battle should be an interesting one. Arlovski dominated Ian Freeman in his last fight and is someone that the UFC would like to get a title shot. A win vs. Frank Mir makes him an instant title contender. Frank Mir lost to Ian Freeman, but before that loss he was considered the up and coming poster boy for the UFC Heavyweight Division. A win versus a big man like Arlovski coupled with previous wins against Tank Abbott and Wes Sims could put Mir in title contention once again.

This should be a good fight between two good young Heavyweights, but I think Andre Arlovski will surprise some people and knockout Mir. Despite winning by disqualification, Mir seemed to be hurt prior to getting stomped illegally by Wes Sims. Mir might not have a chance to recover from a solid shot by Arlovski but it might all depend if he's able to take Arlovski down.

Zen
07-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Great post. I agree with everything you said 100%. I need to see a Mir fight go a couple of rounds to get a better sense of his overall game, but I was really impressed with Arlovski's last fight. If it stays up, look for the KO.

And Tank vs. Cabbage. You're right on with that too. I don't think Cabbage has the game to be the champ, but his style and attitude could bring in fans. He has charisma.

Rock Dog
07-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Good **** Tanner, that makes sense. Oh man Cabbage vs. Tank, I think i just messed my pants.

purerockfury
07-16-2003, 03:31 PM
i want the ufc to bring nog over and school mirs goof ball ass

McCoy
07-16-2003, 04:21 PM
I'd love Andrei to beat his ****y ass. As far as I'm concerned, Arlovski is still just a kid with a HUGE upside in the future

DESTRO
07-16-2003, 04:26 PM
I think arlovsky win this fight easy....KO-KO-KO-KO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ronnie dobbs
07-16-2003, 08:51 PM
if mir can take arlovski down he might be able to sub him but i hope mir gets his legs whacked up and then maybe arlovski can do to mir what pedro did him. two shot to the face and lights out.

Tanner Rhoden
07-16-2003, 08:55 PM
I hate Mir

purerockfury
07-18-2003, 10:55 PM
i also hate mir

The Ensanity
07-18-2003, 11:16 PM
mir is cool

realkaps
07-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by The Ensanity
mir is cool

Fallout
07-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Tanner, you keep saying Mir can't take anyone down.

He took Sims down and he wasn't hurt before the stomp.

If Sims had tried to throw punches insted of cheating, he would of had to come down into Mir's guard. And there is no way (with a stright face) you can tell me he would of been able to do anything inside Mirs guard

Thanos
07-22-2003, 03:27 PM
No idea what happened, but Dana White announced Matyushenko vs Arlvoski. Cabbage is rumored to be fighting Tank at 45 (the show#, not Tank's age). No idea who Mir will be fighting next.

My preference was Arlovski vs Mir.

mmafanman
07-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Vladdy and Arlovski is official now. I would've liked to have seen Cabbage vs. Arlovski because of the potential stand-up war. I think if Mir fought Arlovski, he'd get knocked out.