View Full Version : The thing about Arona in the GP is....

Tanner Rhoden
07-13-2003, 12:15 PM
You guys gotta realize that if ANY of his fights come down to a close decision, Arona's not gonna get the win. Why do you think he was left out of the #1 contender fight? Because, Pride was sick and tired of seeing him barely beat his opponents. Why put Kevin Randleman in there? Arona "beat" Mezger, Henderson and Ninja. The only notable opponent Randleman beat was Ninja. I read somewhere that Pride told Arona if he didn't finish off Murilo that he would be left out of the #1 contenders fight.......I guess they weren't lying to him........I have to believe that he gave some sort of verbal agreement upon signing to fight in this GP that he would be more aggresive and really try to finish.

The biggest reason I don't like Arona is because all I see is a big waist if talent. The guy is a physical specimen. What an athlete. He has also proven to have a rock solid chin. Even with all these attributes the guy NEVER risks anything. I about soiled myself when I saw him go for that leglock on Ninja near the end of round one in their fight..............but, that was the only thing he went for in the fight. If the guy would actually risk something here and there he would probably finish most opponents he faced.

Mark my words.........if the same old lay and stall and pray and lay Arona shows up for the GP......and the decision is somewhat close......he will NOT get the win.

rtbrouwer
07-13-2003, 12:22 PM
I guess I can do nothing but agree here.......

it could go a lot of ways...... he either ****s up and tries for a decision again and doesn't get it...... or he finally tries something and with all that talent he might just win the GP.

Zen
07-13-2003, 09:01 PM
9 fights. 6 victories by decision. 1 win by submission. 1 win by tko. 1 loss by decision. He's the Chris Byrd of mma, he's good, but who the hell wants to watch a guy that takes 77% of his fights to a decision. No one thats who.

This guy has got what it takes to be a ****ing star too, that's the sad part. The look, the physique, the skill. He just needs to let it all hang out and see what happens. Quit being a damn wrestler going for the pin and go for the finish. He is so muscular though, if he was using energy going for sub after sub like Serra he'd probably gas.

Magic Man
07-13-2003, 10:17 PM
I personally like his extremely technical style, but if he really wants to win this thing, he has to pull out the subs imo - and he certainly ****ing has them. I also like his personality, he seems like a really humble cool cat - but I totally agree with tannr.

Bluecifer
07-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Yes. I like Arona but agree 100%. He needs to go for it.

Tom
07-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Arona, the GP champion. Watch.

Piedra
07-14-2003, 02:32 PM
The only way arona will lose is by ko, I personally dont think by decision if he takes down quinton he would get the decision even if he gets a yellow card. as far as I remember in pride he hasnt got any yellow card.

Bluecifer
07-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Arona got a yellow card for stalling against Ninja.

Rock Dog
07-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Tanner Rhoden
You guys gotta realize that if ANY of his fights come down to a close decision, Arona's not gonna get the win. Why do you think he was left out of the #1 contender fight? Because, Pride was sick and tired of seeing him barely beat his opponents. Why put Kevin Randleman in there? Arona "beat" Mezger, Henderson and Ninja. The only notable opponent Randleman beat was Ninja. I read somewhere that Pride told Arona if he didn't finish off Murilo that he would be left out of the #1 contenders fight.......I guess they weren't lying to him........I have to believe that he gave some sort of verbal agreement upon signing to fight in this GP that he would be more aggresive and really try to finish.

The biggest reason I don't like Arona is because all I see is a big waist if talent. The guy is a physical specimen. What an athlete. He has also proven to have a rock solid chin. Even with all these attributes the guy NEVER risks anything. I about soiled myself when I saw him go for that leglock on Ninja near the end of round one in their fight..............but, that was the only thing he went for in the fight. If the guy would actually risk something here and there he would probably finish most opponents he faced.

Mark my words.........if the same old lay and stall and pray and lay Arona shows up for the GP......and the decision is somewhat close......he will NOT get the win.

Tanner = 100% correct. It's a shame really, if Arona played the game right he might've been the champ going into the GP. Hopefully he'll go up against Sak and be forced to fight an exciting match. I see Arona plausibly beating everyone except Liddel.

RuleOfSteel
07-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Arona reminds me of the old Soviet wrestlers; the majority of them did just enough to win despite the fact that most of them could have steamrolled their opponents.

Big_Papa
07-18-2003, 01:05 PM
to be a non-finisher, he only has one loss.

CalfCruncher
07-18-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't see Arona beating Rampage. If Randleman couldn't take him down, I don't think Arona will be able to take Rampage down.

Big_Papa
07-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Arona may surprise you, after all, anyone can be beat.