View Full Version : The GP matches are set, Tamura is in!!!

lightweight
07-08-2003, 11:17 PM
http://www.pridefc.com/

lightweight
07-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Today, Dream Stage Entertainment announced the matches for the opening round of the eight man middleweight tournament, which will take place at the next PRIDE FC event dubbed "TOTAL ELIMINATION."

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Wanderlei Silva
Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Hidehiko Yoshida
Quinton Jackson vs. Ricardo Arona
Chuck Liddell vs Alistair Overeem
TOTAL ELIMINATION features the opening round of the middleweight tournament (4 tournament matches will take place that event, in addition to 3 to 4 non-tournament heavyweight matches) and is scheduled for August 10, 2003 from the Saitama Super Arena in Japan.

The event will also premiere on North American pay per view (through iNDEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH NETWORK, UrbanXtra, TVN1, Bell Express Vu, and Viewer's Choice) on August 10th via same day delay.

The final rounds of the TOTAL ELIMINATION tournament will take place at the next PRIDE FC event---FINAL CONFLICT, which is scheduled for November 9, 2003 from the Tokyo Dome. There are no brackets in this tournament. Matches were selected in advance. The fighters who survive the first round of the tournament will move on to FINAL CONFLICT with matches to be determined soon after the conclusion of TOTAL ELIMINATION.

Three or four additional heavyweight matches are yet to be announced. A total of 7-8 bouts will be scheduled, fight Card is subject to change.

Nuno
07-08-2003, 11:31 PM
I just came in my pants........WOW!!!!!!!!! I love it. Great matches.

Picks
Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Wanderlei Silva - Silva by KO no doubt.
Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Hidehiko Yoshida - Yoshida by sub.
Quinton Jackson vs. Ricardo Arona - Jackson by TKO.
Chuck Liddell vs Alistair Overeem - Lidell by Decision

Nuno
07-08-2003, 11:43 PM
I just thought about it, these matches are perfect.......

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Wanderlei Silva - Pride Veteran vs Pride Veteran
Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Hidehiko Yoshida - Tomato can vs soon to be tomato can.
Quinton Jackson vs. Ricardo Arona - Contender vs contender in my perspective Arona deserves this for beating Ninja.
Chuck Liddell vs Alistair Overeem - Pride newbie vs Pride newbie.

It all makes sense to me.......but who really knows.... I can't wait.

Fallout
07-08-2003, 11:45 PM
I think they are screwing Jackson

He is going to (possibly) have to fight Arona, Liddel and Silva

Mr. Beelzebub
07-09-2003, 12:18 AM
hahahahaha
Rampage is not gonna beat Arona, no way.

Here are my picks:
Wanderlei Silva by TKO (Saku still God)
Yoshida by Sub
Arona by JD
Overreem by TKO

Fallout
07-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Arona does have trouble finishing.

Jackson is someone that you just won't be able to lay on.

If Arona does beat Jackson, he is going to have to finish him

Mr. Beelzebub
07-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Arona's grappling style is pinning you to the floor and waiting. I can't really see Jackson slamming or overpowering Arona, his takedowns and clinch are just that good.

VulgarTheClown
07-09-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Nuno

Picks
Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Wanderlei Silva - Silva by KO no doubt.
Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Hidehiko Yoshida - Yoshida by sub.
Quinton Jackson vs. Ricardo Arona - Jackson by TKO.
Chuck Liddell vs Alistair Overeem - Lidell by Decision

this sounds about right

tamura has been known to do works, i personally think he can beat yoshida and hope he does

Whoremaster B
07-09-2003, 09:04 AM
I love saku, but unless he has something special planned, its back to hospital.

lightweight
07-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Beelzebub
hahahahaha
Rampage is not gonna beat Arona, no way.

Here are my picks:
Wanderlei Silva by TKO (Saku still God)
Yoshida by Sub
Arona by JD
Overreem by TKO

My picks too.

The way I see it-

Silva vs Sakuraba-Silva is coming off knee surgery, Sak is coming off some bad losses(2 from Silva). But this time should be no different, Silva looks to be in good shape, he's got a nutritionist helping him out and he's the younger fresher of the two. Sakuraba's shape hasn't been great lately, I think age and lifestyle are taking their tole. Silva by TKO.

Yoshida vs Tamura-Tamura's game is the ground, but Yoshida's got the Gold medal, has shown good control over opponents when it hits the ground, and submitted Frye(?), and the NC with Royce. I think his skills warrant a sub here too. Yoshida by Sub.

Jackson vs Arona-Two contendors for the belt. Jackson showed great takedown defense against Randleman, as well as good strikes from the clinch and stand up, and these are things that will hurt Arona. I think Arona can still take him down but he'll really have to work for it, and his average cardio will take a hit leaving some lay and pray action to behold. If when it goes down the ref keeps it there he'll get a decision, but if it's stood up Rampage should be able to knock him out. Arona by Dec., or Rampage by strikes........

Liddell vs Overeem-Two good strikers, but I think Overeem is more refined in his standup, a wider variety of strikes, and solid cardio. He lunges in with big knees that will make it very hard for Chuck to counter. He's got the reach as well being 6'5" tall, so think it'll be very tough for Chuck to win. Overeem by TKO.

The Ensanity
07-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Silva-Tko
Yoshi-sub
Rampage-TKO, Arona is going to tire himself out trying to take down Jackson...Jackson is TOO agressive, and has better cardio.
Liddel-Just because I dont know much about Overeem

purerockfury
07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
i say silva
yoshida
arona
liddell

Bluecifer
07-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by purerockfury
i say silva
yoshida
arona
liddell

I agree. I think Silva's style is just too brutal and ruthless for a technician type like Sak to win. Sak back to ICU. But I want Sak to win.

Yoshida, I still don't believe in Yoshida he's a great Judo player but IMO neither of his victories were legit , but I think he will beat Tamura because DSE wants him too.

Arona is gonna beat Jackson by decision. NO ONE has been able to stop his takedowns incuding Tito and I've never seen him get hurt from strikes, not even when Ninja broke his orbital. He will weather the storm and control the fight for a JD. I think he's better than Randleman and will succeed where Kevin failed.

I REALLY REALLY hope Liddell wins, but I think it could go either way when you pair up 2 strikers of this caliber. Still, I give the edge to Liddell because of experience and because he will be hungry as **** to redeem himself. Overeem may have a bit of an advantage because of the height, but then again Chuck trains with Mcgee who is no shrimp. Chuck also is better on the ground. This will be the most volatile and unpredicatble match of the night. This one will NOT go to decision.

I HAVE SUCH A RAGING HARD ON FOR THIS CARD!!!! WOOOHOOOO! I CAN'T ****ING WAIT!

Mr. Beelzebub
07-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Blue Dawg
I REALLY REALLY hope Liddell wins, but I think it could go either way when you pair up 2 strikers of this caliber. Still, I give the edge to Liddell because of experience and because he will be hungry as **** to redeem himself. Overeem may have a bit of an advantage because of the height, but then again Chuck trains with Mcgee who is no shrimp. Chuck also is better on the ground. This will be the most volatile and unpredicatble match of the night. This one will NOT go to decision.

I think Alistair is the one that works better on the ground. Liddell has the best takedown defense, but Overeem is a superior grappler, his armbar is great, and so is his rear naked choke.

Bluecifer
07-09-2003, 04:00 PM
I was refering more to Chuck's wrestling than his submissions. Chuck was an outstanding wrestler in college, we just never see him use it except to avoid the takedown. I have a feeling we may see his wrestling skills in this one though. I would agree that overeem has better submissions.

lightweight
07-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Blue Dawg
Arona is gonna beat Jackson by decision. NO ONE has been able to stop his takedowns incuding Tito and I've never seen him get hurt from strikes, not even when Ninja broke his orbital. He will weather the storm and control the fight for a JD. I think he's better than Randleman and will succeed where Kevin failed.

Mezger almost knocked out Arona with a high kick, he was rocked for a few seconds.

Tanner Rhoden
07-09-2003, 10:30 PM
That's weird. A VERY reliable source told me it was gonna be Rampage v.s. Overeem in the first round.

Oh well............still looking great

bob
07-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Whoremaster B
I love saku, but unless he has something special planned, its back to hospital.

hahahahaha ..........

i reckon the match ups shoud have gone like this

silva vs arona

liddel vs jackson

overeem vs saku

yoshida vs tamura

im not complaining tho....going to be a very ****ing good show

Piedra
07-12-2003, 05:33 PM
No it should be silva vs. jackson the other fights I dont care.

Eyes Of The South
07-13-2003, 06:46 AM
WHO THE **** IS TAMURA!!!!! He that tomato can who gets his ass kicked by EVERYONE!!! What the **** is he doing in the GP??????!?!?!?!?!??!

Tanner Rhoden
07-13-2003, 09:57 AM
NO more must read..

Mr. Beelzebub
07-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Tamura is a decent fighter who has had good matches in Rings (he defeated Pat Miletich and Horn there). Don't call him anything if you haven't seen him fight, this is not sherdog. He is no Iwasaki(wandie's opponent at Shockwave).
Tamura is an average fighter that doesn't deserve to be in the GP, even if he beats Yoshida (which I doubt), he'd get killed in the second round.