View Full Version : Wanderlei Silva

YUHHHHHHH!
05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
First off, I'm new here. I'm not new to the fight game, and haven't been since I was about 11 years old. I have been watching the big Brazilian names, Wanderlei/Nogueira brothers/Ricardo Arona/Anderson Silva/etc. since I can remember. I grew up in Sao Paulo before my parents decided to take our family to NYC, I currently live in Brooklyn, but I am planning a (permanent?) trip back to Brazil as of the end of this Summer. I told you this because I don't want to you to think I am some American nuthugger who just recently decided to hop on Brazil's sack. (About 50% of the UFC Fanbase)

That being said, what the Hell is going on with Wanderlei? My friends and I were discussing this last night at dinner. Many think he is a physically shot fighter, after Cro Cop smacked his head, some think that he will be an easy knock out from now on. Science and simple logic being said, that is far from the truth. Your knock out resistance is around 80% hereditary, 19% from tough training (ex: your brain being used to getting smacked around) and 1% from luck of where the strike lands. Wanderlei still has tough knockout resistance, saying that he doesn't is not smart. The guy gets caught flush by a kick to the temple, and a left hook to the same spot.. Now he has a glass jaw? No way.

I brought up the point (extremely regrettably so) that Wanderlei might be "shook." It's a New York term which means that you're extremely tentative of a situation. Example: You walk down the street at midnight, there's no one but thugs around, you'll be shook. You'll put your head down and not make eye contact or any type of contact with anyone, and walk as fast as you can to avoid conflict. You're shook. I asked myself, "Is Wanderlei, the one we call The Axe Murderer, shook?"

In his past few fights he seemed to be more of a defensive fighter. No longer The Axe Murderer or The Mad Dog that I saw so long ago in Vale Tudo. Did he just forget who he is? What aura of fear he brings into the ring? I truly believe Wanderlei is far from out of his prime. He just needs that victory to help him realize why we call him The Axe Murderer, and why his OPPONENTS are the ones who need to be shook when they fight him, not the other way around.

A lot of typing, any responses would be greatly appreciated.

1bad65
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Alot of WWF guys who abused steroids in the 80s crashed physically by 40. I think that is what is happening now. I think the abuse he put on his body has taken it's toll it's really starting to show and affect him.

Don Corleone
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Wanderlei Silva will always be my favourite LHW to watch next to Liddell but I think the problem is he doesn't stay focused as to what he is doing. He is fighting his offense with defense. I think its a question of "Does he still have it left in him mentally to make a comeback". I don't think his physical spect has taken a toll but his mental one has. He fights more causiously and doesn't fight with the same agression he has before. I think he should just let his hands loose and fight each match with a strategy depending on who is opponent is

Spare Moody
05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't want to you to think I am some American nuthugger who just recently decided to hop on Brazil's sack. (About 50% of the UFC Fanbase)

i already knew you weren't a toolbox nuthugger when you didn't mention Gracie in your list of big brazilian fighters.

silva's fine. he did great against Chuck even if he didn't take the victory. he's always had heart and fury. just because his streak hasn't been great recently doesn't mean he's in a long-term bind. i think we still have a lot more to see from him.

YUHHHHHHH!
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Alot of WWF guys who abused steroids in the 80s crashed physically by 40. I think that is what is happening now. I think the abuse he put on his body has taken it's toll it's really starting to show and affect him.

Wanderlei never abused steroids. Many people confuse harder supplements (usually whey protein) as steroids or banned substances. As soon as a fighter uses a supplement to rehabilitate, the media will always swarm them with steroid accusations. Wanderlei's natural strength, conditioning and muscle endurance is still at top tier.

i already knew you weren't a toolbox nuthugger when you didn't mention Gracie in your list of big brazilian fighters.

silva's fine. he did great against Chuck even if he didn't take the victory. he's always had heart and fury. just because his streak hasn't been great recently doesn't mean he's in a long-term bind. i think we still have a lot more to see from him.

Silva vs Liddell was a tough one for me to watch. As soon as my friends and I watched it, we were all screaming random assortments of "What the **** are you doing?! - This is not right - Wanderlei was payed off - This is dumb, Liddell is EZ Mode for Wanderlei, Dana white is a retard for paying this off."

There have been countless videos and accusations of Dana White paying that match off. I mean, granted Liddell is a great athlete and I love watching him fight. He was a home town favorite, and that was definitely not The Axe Murderer who stepped in the cage with him. I still believe something fishy went on with that fight.

1bad65
05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Silva used steroids. Why do you think he never fought in the US until after PRIDE folded? And notice he has done quite poorly here....

kaps
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Dana paying Silva too lose? Doubtful, if any fix gets caught, that would be it for the UFC, no more sanctioning, no more PPV's, no more fights in the US Period. Vanderlei is a bad match up for Chuck from the get go because of his agression, Chuck is a counter puncher, if you want to beat Chuck Liddell, make him come after you....

Don Corleone
05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
The right time for them to fight was in Pride in the Grand Prix but Liddell lost to Rampage to that didn't happen, would rather see them fight back in Pride

Virgil Caine
05-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought Silva still looked good against Liddell. He has had a long carreer though so he could be on the slide.

Don Corleone
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
These past fights have been the lowest he's been in his career. Some guys win a few and lose a few but he was winning for a while until now but he can still come back and make a good run

YUHHHHHHH!
05-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Silva used steroids. Why do you think he never fought in the US until after PRIDE folded? And notice he has done quite poorly here....

So Joe Calzaghe does steroids because he never fought in America until recently? Same with Fedor? Aleksander? Choi Hong Man? Etc..?

That makes no sense.

I'd rather ask the fighters if Dana has payed off fights before. It's just like any other organization, there's always going to be corruption. Tito Ortiz has spoken out about Dana White's ways several times.

Don Corleone
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Even if you were to ask, you honestly think they would tell you? They made their money and won't say anything. I don't think any of that was going on anyway but even if it were I doubt anyone would speak about it because no sport does

1bad65
05-09-2008, 04:54 PM
So Joe Calzaghe does steroids because he never fought in America until recently? Same with Fedor? Aleksander? Choi Hong Man? Etc..?

I said PRIDE because they had their shows in Japan. My bad, I should have been more clear. Steroids are not illegal in Japan, so fighters are not tested over there.

Steroids are illegal in the UK though.

YUHHHHHHH!
05-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I said PRIDE because they had their shows in Japan. My bad, I should have been more clear. Steroids are not illegal in Japan, so fighters are not tested over there.

Steroids are illegal in the UK though.

Fighters were tested before and after Pride events, it's in the rule book. And there's a video of Bas Rutten talking about it while commentating, I'll grab it for you. Goes along the line of either Quadros or a guest host saying "Wow, it's amazing how some of these athletes can achieve that without juicing." Then Bas chimes in and says, "Yep, no way there is any use of substances here, they're pretty adamant about it in Pride."

I'll grab the video when you get home.

@ Sugar Mosley

Yeah, they probably will later on down the road. Just like football/basketball/K1/Wrestlers/Baseball/etc. Players. There will always be payoffs in major sports, especially when it makes one's business look better. [Ex: Chuck Liddell, face of UFC. Winning over Wanderlei Silva, face of Pride.] I am not saying it's true, but it's definitely a possibility. Wanderlei fought no where near his potential.

Don Corleone
05-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Considering he lost to Cro-Cop and Hendo recently by KO, he hasn't looked good. It wasn't a pay off man. You have to realize guys are going to get KO in this sport, just cause the top class fighter does doesn't mean its a pay off. Everyone always blames a match nowadays on payoffs. Its harder because nowadays if something goes wrong guys are willing to tell the media so the UFC would be risking all by doing it. Payoffs are just excuses when someone loses. Don't get me wrong, they do happen and no one hears about them but that is probobly rare. Its not like Silva was winning a lot of matches before he faced Liddell. They are both my favourite fighters and the win had to go to someone

Atnan
05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
LOL at wand being Shook- you my friend are a ****ing "tool", no matter what hood your from, you should understand what it means- stick to tennis or something!

he got knocked out to the Best/A Class in CroCop ( who is a natural heavy)- that night no one in the world was taking down CroCop NO ONE- he dominated WAND and BARNETT like NO ONE HAS EVER DONE!

I believe he was very sick aganist Hendo, he didnt even look the same in that fight- i mean usually his punches/kicks are a lot stronger and is more aggressive- but i think he just had a bad night! (Best example is his fight prior to crocop when he was landing hard shots aganist Fujita and rocked him bad- he was suppose to have one of the best punches)

his fight aganist liddel was FOTY- he knocked wand many times and didnt seem shot at all- he was firing at all cylinders! If he had a better game plan and focused more on his striking he would have won- anyway that fight was amazing and proved to the world what a incredible chin/recovery time WAND still has! Get off his nuts you fools

Wand is knocking Jardine the **** Out

Dice
05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
The Jardine fight is a def must win for Wanderlei, but a payoff accusastion is a bit rediculoius in my book, I'm not gonna deny it cant happen but Wanderlei has had a hectic career and came off too big losses and a kinda long layoff, hell even Cro Cop started sliding, but I think a win over Jardine will put him back on track.

Also I don't know if ppl think liking the Gracies makes you a nuthugger, but i'm not one and respect the Gracies, I think Rickson has the tools to beat anyone and Royce was UFC's original Mr. P4P

Virgil Caine
05-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Also I don't know if ppl think liking the Gracies makes you a nuthugger, but i'm not one and respect the Gracies, I think Rickson has the tools to beat anyone and Royce was UFC's original Mr. P4P

Rickson's damn near 50. Royce got pummeled by a Welterweight. Nuff said.

Dice
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Rickson's damn near 50. Royce got pummeled by a Welterweight. Nuff said.

Royce was already 40 years old when he got "pummeled" by a welterweight who happens to be one of the best of all time, by any chance did you happen to see that vicious armbar Royce was in?? Did you see how calm his face was?? Could you withstand that pain at your age? Now can you withstand that at 40 years old??

I'm not a fan boy and I actually think the Gracies are kinda stuck up (demanding personal rules) and one dimensional, but you gotta give the man credit, he was Mr. P4P during a time where there were NO RULES and his lightest opponent had a 30 pound weight advantage.

Also the 50 year old Rickson is still a 7th degree black belt, like I said I actually don't like the Gracies that much, I think there sore losers and loved wen Sakuraba became the Gracie Hunter, but you gotta give credit where credit is due

Atnan
05-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Royce was already 40 years old when he got "pummeled" by a welterweight who happens to be one of the best of all time, by any chance did you happen to see that vicious armbar Royce was in?? Did you see how calm his face was?? Could you withstand that pain at your age? Now can you withstand that at 40 years old??

I'm not a fan boy and I actually think the Gracies are kinda stuck up (demanding personal rules) and one dimensional, but you gotta give the man credit, he was Mr. P4P during a time where there were NO RULES and his lightest opponent had a 30 pound weight advantage.

Also the 50 year old Rickson is still a 7th degree black belt, like I said I actually don't like the Gracies that much, I think there sore losers and loved wen Sakuraba became the Gracie Hunter, but you gotta give credit where credit is due

btw Rickson supposedly has a training session with paulo filho a couple months back and beat the living **** outta him, Filho admitted himself that no one has ever dominated him like that in his life- were talking about the number 2-3 MW in the world

Dice
05-13-2008, 01:14 AM
btw Rickson supposedly has a training session with paulo filho a couple months back and beat the living **** outta him, Filho admitted himself that no one has ever dominated him like that in his life- were talking about the number 2-3 MW in the world

Damn thats crazy, Ricksons got some serious skills if thats true, Filho is no pushover

Virgil Caine
05-13-2008, 01:45 AM

Royce Gracie fought mostly hand picked opponents who didn't know submissions, especially in the first few UFCs.

Prime Royce wouldn't even be a contender today.

And yeah I can withstand pain pretty well. I've also competed in Ju Jitsu, Judo, amateur boxing matches, and 10+ years of wrestling.

Dice
05-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Royce Gracie fought mostly hand picked opponents who didn't know submissions, especially in the first few UFCs.

And yeah I can withstand pain. I've also competed in Ju Jitsu, Judo, amateur boxing matches, and 10+ years of wrestling. Since you asked.

Well one of Royces biggest wins came against a prime Ken Shamrock whose most wins came from submissions and who was an excellent wrestler, and since you trained 10 plus years in wrestling you know first hand how much of an asset wrestling skills is, and Royce crushed him, as much as Shamrock was my hero, and as proud as I was that Shamrock got a draw in a rematch, Royce still crushed him.

Also since your so wersitile you know first hand how hard it is to take pain and withstand it, at a fresh 23 years old , i'm also sure you can appreciate a 40plus year old man taking it as well as a man half his age can

Dice
05-13-2008, 01:59 AM
BTW i'm not tryin to start nothing or get on your nerves, its just simple debate, you shoot, I shoot back, and i'm actually impressed by the variety of martial arts you've tried your hand in

Blair_Wells#32
05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
no matter what people say some people jus hate the gracies for one reason or another.

YUHHHHHHH!
05-13-2008, 12:56 PM
LOL at wand being Shook- you my friend are a ****ing "tool"

I don't think you understand what the term shook means, country boy. Wanderlei Silva is one of my favorite fighters, it was just a topic starter. So why don't you help yourself out and stick to your redneck lingo. How am I a tool again? Exactly. Quit acting like you know what it means for someone to be shook.

Virgil Caine
05-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Well one of Royces biggest wins came against a prime Ken Shamrock whose most wins came from submissions and who was an excellent wrestler, and since you trained 10 plus years in wrestling you know first hand how much of an asset wrestling skills is, and Royce crushed him, as much as Shamrock was my hero, and as proud as I was that Shamrock got a draw in a rematch, Royce still crushed him.

Also since your so wersitile you know first hand how hard it is to take pain and withstand it, at a fresh 23 years old , i'm also sure you can appreciate a 40plus year old man taking it as well as a man half his age can

He deserves some credit for the Shamrock fight, but his rematch with Shamrock, and his fight against Kimo exposed his limitations imo, as these were two of the only well-rounded guys he faced. And professional fighters are suppose to withstand pain. Just saying.

Royce did do a lot to bring excitement to the UFC in the early days (though he did far more to promote his family's martial arts schools). I just get sick of people considering him an ATG fighter because if he fought today I don't think he'd make a dent.

Atnan
05-14-2008, 01:46 AM
I don't think you understand what the term shook means, country boy. Wanderlei Silva is one of my favorite fighters, it was just a topic starter. So why don't you help yourself out and stick to your redneck lingo. How am I a tool again? Exactly. Quit acting like you know what it means for someone to be shook.

You ****ing clown- I was BORN AND RAISED/GREW UP in Brooklyn- **** i be in brooklyn like every other weekend you ****ing ignorant immigrant! I just moved to jersey a few years ago- Back in the day when i was still in grade school i used to beat immigrants like you daily (under grad now, 3.96 gpa @ 80+ credits)

Fact is, you dont even kno who came up with the word/meaning "Shook"? Hence your a ****ing tool and a disgrace to brazilian people- Get your mind right ***** boy-

YUHHHHHHH!
05-14-2008, 02:29 PM
You ****ing clown- I was BORN AND RAISED/GREW UP in Brooklyn- **** i be in brooklyn like every other weekend you ****ing ignorant immigrant! I just moved to jersey a few years ago- Back in the day when i was still in grade school i used to beat immigrants like you daily (under grad now, 3.96 gpa @ 80+ credits)

Fact is, you dont even kno who came up with the word/meaning "Shook"? Hence your a ****ing tool and a disgrace to brazilian people- Get your mind right ***** boy-

If you lay in the B come see me then college boy. You won't, because you can't. By the way, with a 3.96 GPA, you should know that the United States was founded by immigrants. Either way, you won't come see me cause you'll be shook walking down here haha.

Atnan
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
If you lay in the B come see me then college boy. You won't, because you can't. By the way, with a 3.96 GPA, you should know that the United States was founded by immigrants. Either way, you won't come see me cause you'll be shook walking down here haha.

I'm still waiting on an answer...where did the word "shook" come from? no excuses *****

YUHHHHHHH!
05-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm still waiting on an answer...where did the word "shook" come from? no excuses *****

Mobb Deep. (lol) Now come see me big man, East Rocks up then, south of the four points. I lay there and work there every day and every night. You know where I'm at? I'll google map ya.

neils7147933
05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I got you stuck off the realness, we be the infamous
You heard of us
Official queensbridge murderers
The mobb comes equipped with warfare, beware
Of my crime family who got nuff shots to share
For all of those who wanna profile and pose
Rock you in your face, stab your brain wit your nosebone
You all alone in these streets, cousin
Every man for theirself in this land we be gunnin
And keep them shook crews runnin
Like they supposed to
They come around but they never come close to
I can see it inside your face
Youre in the wrong place
Cowards like you just get theyre whole body laced up
With bullet holes and such
Speak the wrong words man and you will get touched
You can put your whole army against my team and
I guarantee you itll be your very last time breathin
Your simple words just dont move me
Youre minor, were major
You all up in the game and dont deserve to be a player
Dont make me have to call your name out
Your crew is featherweight
My gunshotsll make you levitate
Im only nineteen but my mind is old
And when the things get for real my warm heart turns cold
Another ***** deceased, another story gets told
It aint nothin really
Hey, yo dun spark the phillie
So I can get my mind off these yellowbacked *****s
Why they still alive I dont know, go figure
Meanwhile back in queens the realness is foundation
If I die I couldnt choose a better location
When the slugs penetrate you feel a burning sensation
Getting closer to God in a tight situation
Now, take these words home and think it through
Or the next rhyme I write might be about you

Atnan
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Mobb Deep. (lol) Now come see me big man, East Rocks up then, south of the four points. I lay there and work there every day and every night. You know where I'm at? I'll google map ya.

Your not on my level- If Im in Brooklyn, imma be with my beautiful Brazilian Girl friend/Queen getting my 2step on...not knocking out some youngin with no future :boxing:! BROOKLYN STAND UP

lol @ you trying to start E-Beff :owned:

YUHHHHHHH!
05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Your not on my level- If Im in Brooklyn, imma be with my beautiful Brazilian Girl friend/Queen getting my 2step on...not knocking out some youngin with no future :boxing:! BROOKLYN STAND UP

lol @ you trying to start E-Beff :owned:

So basically you wanna pick a fight on the internet and keep talking, but you're a ***** in real life? Typical. You don't wanna know me or see me in Brooklyn, if you got half the balls you have behind the computer screen you'd get knocked the **** out.

Atnan
05-17-2008, 06:13 PM
So basically you wanna pick a fight on the internet and keep talking, but you're a ***** in real life? Typical. You don't wanna know me or see me in Brooklyn, if you got half the balls you have behind the computer screen you'd get knocked the **** out.

lol- i shut people like you up on the forums cause you/they dont know what the **** their talking about- i dont **** on people like you cause i want to fight them in real life! you have some personality issues, anger management might be the solution, fall back and do you

YUHHHHHHH!
05-18-2008, 10:42 PM
lol- i shut people like you up on the forums cause you/they dont know what the **** their talking about- i dont **** on people like you cause i want to fight them in real life! you have some personality issues, anger management might be the solution, fall back and do you

Giving you the benefit of the doubt and playing along with you saying you had a 3.9 GPA, you must have been through Critical Thinking 101, correct? I wasn't born speaking English, and yet I still hold a better argument (as well as speak your own language in a superior fashion) than you. As a matter of fact it's the third language I learned. So now, Mr. Scholar, answer me this: Who started the flaming between you and I? As far as I look back, I asked a question/submitted a theory to a forum of people, which YOU replied with the intention of starting a "fight."

Neither one of us is going to win, because we both think we're right. If you wanna squash it, squash it. I am willing to, if you're not, why don't you just stop trying to pick fights with someone on the PC?

Atnan
05-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Giving you the benefit of the doubt and playing along with you saying you had a 3.9 GPA, you must have been through Critical Thinking 101, correct? I wasn't born speaking English, and yet I still hold a better argument (as well as speak your own language in a superior fashion) than you. As a matter of fact it's the third language I learned. So now, Mr. Scholar, answer me this: Who started the flaming between you and I? As far as I look back, I asked a question/submitted a theory to a forum of people, which YOU replied with the intention of starting a "fight."

Neither one of us is going to win, because we both think we're right. If you wanna squash it, squash it. I am willing to, if you're not, why don't you just stop trying to pick fights with someone on the PC?

im in the same boat as you, i wasn't born speaking English- i actually started around 4-5 yrs old- the transition from any language to English is very difficult! ill bury the e-beef; ill respect someone who fights back (such as yourself) compared to *****es who talk **** and whisper!

Atnan
05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
btw WAND is going to knock Jardine out

Virgil Caine
05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
btw WAND is going to knock Jardine out
I hope so, I sorta see this as a difficult match-up for him though.