View Full Version : Huerta vs Florian at UFC 87

2swell k-wells
04-30-2008, 03:15 PM
MMAweekly

Sources from both fighters’ camps have confirmed that Kenny Florian will face Roger Huerta at UFC 87 on Aug. 9 in Minneapolis, Minn. Both fighters have received and are expected to sign their bout agreements.

Florian is just weeks removed from an impressive win against Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 13 in Broomfield, Colo. The Boston lightweight has been rapidly climbing back to contender status since his loss to Sean Sherk for the lightweight title at UFC 64.

Florian knows his next shot at the lightweight belt is on the line.

"It's kind of rare when you get two guys who are positively number one and number two in the division that are actually going to fight to be the number one contender to fight for that belt later on," Florian told MMAWeekly.com. "I think it will be great for both of our careers, and it's the biggest fight you can put together in our division."

Huerta, who currently resides in Minnesota, exploded onto the scene in 2007 with five straight victories, most recently a come-from-behind win against Clay Guida at The Ultimate Fighter 6 finale that was widely considered to be one of the best fights of 2007. The fight with Florian will be his first in nine months, part of a self-expressed desire to take time off following one of the busiest stretches in his career.

"He's a game opponent, and he's never going to quit," Florian said of Huerta's reputation. "It doesn't matter how tired he gets, he's gonna keep going, and those are the kind of guys that I want to fight. He's on a roll, he's very confident right now. And I like the kid. I know him personally. He's a good kid, and we get along great. He has a bright future, regardless of what happens in the fight with me."

The showdown will bolster a fight card that also touts another match-up with strong local interest between Minnesota native Brock Lesnar and former UFC heavyweight champion and Ohio State wrestler Mark Coleman.

Huerta was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

Cuauhtémoc1520
04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Damn good fight, Florian is so good on the ground it will be interesting what Huerta can do with him there. I think Huerta has the stronger punches and is more non-stop but can his ground game hold up?

American_Ninja
04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Why is Lesnar fighting back to back former UFC champs?
Kinda looks like he's taking the high road as
Kevin Ferguson takes the easy road, in Elite.
Or White doesn't want him in the UFC very long.

number6
04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
This is an interesting fight, im not sure on the outcome of this one.

the giant one
05-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Why is Lesnar fighting back to back former UFC champs?

becaue this one doesnt present as much of a problem BJJ wise and is a better draw at age 42 than most of the HW roster right now to market a PPV`

American_Ninja
05-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Honestly I think Lesnar could beat Tim Sylvia right now.
Lesnar would blast in on Big Tim, take him down, and GNP him into a tko in about 1 minute. Nuff said........

Brian13
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
It will be a very good fight but it is hard to pick a winner , it will all depend on Huerta's BJJ

TBEC2
05-01-2008, 02:55 PM
KenFlo is a completely different kind of beast at this point in time. In my opinion he has the better stand up and way better Jits. The only difference maker i see is i feel Huerta has the better wrestling. Should be a good fight but i got KenFlo all the way.

Naps
05-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm really excited by this fight.

I think K-Flo will win.

Mr. Beelzebub
05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Not a good match up for Mr. Sports Illustrated cover.

$ LegenD $
05-01-2008, 07:33 PM
i got huerta.........willing to take bets.......

2swell k-wells
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
a lil too early for that dont ya think?

Blair_Wells#32
05-02-2008, 02:54 AM
i've got Florian, he's been workin hard since he lost 2 Sherk, i believe he has the better stand up as well, Huerta has the hands, but Florian has the Muay Thai training with kicks knees and elbows, as well as the ground game.
can't wait for this fight.

$ LegenD $
05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
ite never too early.....i took bets on silva over henderson as soon as there was a hint for the match to materialize...........

The Prodigy
05-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Kenny has vicious and sharp elbows, so ill go with him.