View Full Version : Kalib Starnes Explains.

Blair_Wells#32
04-22-2008, 05:11 PM
from fightline.com

Despite reports to the contrary, Kalib Starnes was not protesting his contract with his performance against Nate Quarry...he claims to have broken his foot on the first kick he threw.
"Right now, I have a broken foot [that] I sustained with the first kick I threw in the fight,Ē Starnes told The Fight Network. ďMy leg is purple and black from my knee up, I have a black eye, a sprained jaw, and heís questioning my desire to fight? If that isnít enough to satisfy him and the crowd, I can show them the medical report. I can barely walk. [Quarry] totally destroyed my thigh with those kicks. Iím sure a lot of people would rather see me suffer a traumatic brain injury and be rendered unconscious. Thatís too bad. If thatís what they want, theyíre paying the wrong guy $10,000 to get his brain smashed in.Ē

Starnes also took exception to comments made by Dana White on Yahoo! Sports claiming that he released Starnes from his UFC contract. Starnes told The Fight Network that he requested his release the day after the fight.

ď[UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva told me that it usually takes a couple of days for their legal department to complete the paperwork and that he would send me all of the paperwork to indicate that my contract has been dissolved. Later on in the afternoon, after I had spoken to Joe Silva, a story was released by some reporter from Yahoo! in which Dana White said that he had released me from my contract. I received no documentation on that, and it came after I asked to be released.

Starnes also had some parting words for his former boss, UFC president Dana White.

"In my opinion, it was inappropriate to make public statements regarding my character and my future and so on the way that he has, especially without having the courage and the respect to call me up and speak with me personally. All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage. I couldnít be happier than to be released from the most oppressive contract Iíve ever been under in my life.Ē

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
That's weird cause he still had his hands to fight with. Then he has the nerve to say he didn't want to be in the contract

Virgil Caine
04-22-2008, 05:44 PM
That's weird cause he still had his hands to fight with. Then he has the nerve to say he didn't want to be in the contract

I believe him, this is Dana White we're talking about.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I believe him, this is Dana White we're talking about.

I understand but he stated that he wasn't going to get his head smashed in for $10,000. Doesn't that kind of seem like he knew he didn't want anything to do with Quarry. Who said he was going to get his head smashed in, he could've atleast gone out with something to show. I understand that fighters in the UFC deserve respect for what they do, but how are you going to expect no one to get mad when you backing up and not throwing any punches. How do you expect to win? Everyone was frustrated and if he didn't want to face Quarry he could've said something. His performance doesn't justify the fact that he says he was injured. I think he was injured because you could see him kinda limping in the ring as he was backing up but atleast he could've said something to his corner

Virgil Caine
04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
I understand but he stated that he wasn't going to get his head smashed in for $10,000. Doesn't that kind of seem like he knew he didn't want anything to do with Quarry. Who said he was going to get his head smashed in, he could've atleast gone out with something to show. I understand that fighters in the UFC deserve respect for what they do, but how are you going to expect no one to get mad when you backing up and not throwing any punches. How do you expect to win? Everyone was frustrated and if he didn't want to face Quarry he could've said something. His performance doesn't justify the fact that he says he was injured. I think he was injured because you could see him kinda limping in the ring as he was backing up but atleast he could've said something to his corner

I wasn't defending his performance, I was just talking about the politics.

That said, fighting injured can lead to some ugly-looking performances.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Do you think they should've kept him?

Virgil Caine
04-22-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm not saying they should've kept him, but what he's saying is that he resigned and that Dana White then made it appear as if the UFC had cut him. What probably happened is he saw the writing on the wall and knew he was gonna get dumped and so he asked to disolve his contract. Dana White is a ***** for his slander attacks.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm not saying they should've kept him, but what he's saying is that he resigned and that Dana White then made it appear as if the UFC had cut him. What probably happened is he saw the writing on the wall and knew he was gonna get dumped and so he asked to disolve his contract. Dana White is a ***** for his slander attacks.

I'm not arguing that, Dana can be that way. He doesn't know how to handle problem well and that can lead to many conflicts to arise. Look at Silvia, Couture and almost Ortiz but after his fight with Machida he is gone

pesticid
04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I think that the main reason he doens't allow Silva to box against Jones is because Silva's gonna make way more in a boxing much not promoted by Dana. So how would Dana justify paying Silva 200 k in his next MMA fight.
I still can't believe that Josh Kosheck made 8 thousand against GSP. Anybody knows if he's still under contract with UFC?

At first I liked Dana but in the past year and a half he's been absolute scumbag.

Virgil Caine
04-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I think that the main reason he doens't allow Silva to box against Jones is because Silva's gonna make way more in a boxing much not promoted by Dana. So how would Dana justify paying Silva 200 k in his next MMA fight.
I still can't believe that Josh Kosheck made 8 thousand against GSP. Anybody knows if he's still under contract with UFC?

At first I liked Dana but in the past year and a half he's been absolute scumbag.

The UFC is gonna go under if it doesn't change, its simply a matter of time. They won't have any good fighters left.

OhNo
04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
He was bitter about the situation. Even early on, their were reports from Sherdog that he was complaining about his pay. He beat both Mcdonald and Leben yet he is getting 10,000 a fight....

That is an utter travesty.

Ten thousand bucks and you fight once every six months?

Fellas, Dana is running MMA into the ground.

I dont blame Kalib for fighting the way he did.

Blair_Wells#32
04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
i'm quite sure i read somewhere that Kos has been Signed 2 a new contract, can't remember where though.
i'll check through the old news on fightline or some other sites later an try an find a link.

flipside
04-22-2008, 08:25 PM
how can he run that quick and that long with a broken knee? res ipsa loquitor.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 08:45 PM

I don't think its a problem with Silva making more money in boxing. Everyone knows that boxing salaries are way more than UFC salaries so its a guarantee he'll get paid well. The problem is if Silva loses it doesn't put a positive spotlight on the UFC. The odds are stacked against him. Boxing would get most of the spotlight and it would make a point that it can beat MMA's top middleweight in the world. I don't see any pro's coming for the UFC, only cons. Its bad for business. At the same time, the UFC will get well advertised and it can maybe get a hold of some fans in the process but at what cost. I think they would rather not put in one of their greatest fighter at the risk of a big media frenzy if he loses to RJJ in a boxing match

pesticid
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't think its a problem with Silva making more money in boxing. Everyone knows that boxing salaries are way more than UFC salaries so its a guarantee he'll get paid well. The problem is if Silva loses it doesn't put a positive spotlight on the UFC. The odds are stacked against him. Boxing would get most of the spotlight and it would make a point that it can beat MMA's top middleweight in the world. I don't see any pro's coming for the UFC, only cons. Its bad for business. At the same time, the UFC will get well advertised and it can maybe get a hold of some fans in the process but at what cost. I think they would rather not put in one of their greatest fighter at the risk of a big media frenzy if he loses to RJJ in a boxing match

The bigger the risk the greater the reward. Now, Roy Jones is a shot fighter but his name is still huge. Roy would have to fight above 175 in order to accomodate Silva. Silva is a tall southpow with long arms and some pop. Tarver anybody? Even if Silva loses on a decision albeit against worn-out legend he's shown that MMA is the **** . Besides, if Dana is inviting boxers to come and fight under MMA rules, boxers can do the same. Cintron was ready to step up for Sherk.

pesticid
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
But Dana is a *****, he's willing to fight Tito Ortiz in a boxing match, and who the **** is he, a slob?

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Do you really think boxing fans would respect MMA more if Silva were to lose. It's hard because some would respect Silva for trying but others would just critisize him

pesticid
04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Do you really think boxing fans would respect MMA more if Silva were to lose. It's hard because some would respect Silva for trying but others would just critisize him

Not at all, I am looking from an MMA perspective. An MMA fan could say, see this guy went 12 with Roy and he's not even a boxer. General boxing fans can take note of it as well. But Dana woulnd't put one of his own in an MMA fight outside of UFC let alone to fight smb under boxing rules.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I know but who says he would go 12 rounds. Anderson Silva is one of the greatest mma fighters in history but he's going outside his sport and fighting a pro in RJJ and someone who trains at what he does. It's kind of like when a boxing fans say mma is so easy and requres no skill, but reversed and Silva is trying to face a pro in a difficult sport. I respect Silva for offering to fight him but he should understand that just because boxing is in his regimen, it doesn't mean that it will be easy to fight someone like RJJ he needs to prepare well but expect a very tough matchup

Virgil Caine
04-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I know but who says he would go 12 rounds. Anderson Silva is one of the greatest mma fighters in history but he's going outside his sport and fighting a pro in RJJ and someone who trains at what he does. It's kind of like when a boxing fans say mma is so easy and requres no skill, but reversed and Silva is trying to face a pro in a difficult sport. I respect Silva for offering to fight him but he should understand that just because boxing is in his regimen, it doesn't mean that it will be easy to fight someone like RJJ he needs to prepare well but expect a very tough matchup

Here's the thing, Silva's not exactly some Joe of the street, he is a professional fighter himself. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira won the South American games and earned bronze in the PanAms, his only loss coming in a low scoring fight against the Cuban. I feel this reflects the significant gap which exists between professional and amateur fighters, particularly as it can be argued that the Nogs loss came against the only other pro in the tournament, considering that the Cubans are essentially pro-level athletes. Its a matter of training really, an established pro on the level of a Nogueira or an Anderson Silva have access to all the best facilities, trainers, equipment, time, etc. So, Silva would come prepared and may actually make it interesting provided he doesn't get blown out in the first round.

Gareth Ivanovic
04-23-2008, 12:27 AM
I understand what Starnes is saying, but it looked pretty bad and it's probably best that he left.

Dana White is like any other head man of a corporation he exploits his employees, so he can make as much money as possible. It's crazy to me to see guys make so little in these fights. I mean there risking a lot and getting paid very little.

2swell k-wells
04-23-2008, 04:20 AM
who was kalib talking to when he said "**** you, **** you ****** you dont fight"???

Blair_Wells#32
04-23-2008, 05:35 AM
someone in Nate Quarry's Corner i think.

2swell k-wells
04-23-2008, 12:55 PM
oh...were those bastards mocking him, ****ers shouldnt be saying **** if they dont fight. pisses me off.

kaps
04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I didnt see Kalib fighting either.....

Don Corleone
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
After the fight, Quarry said that he didn't mean to do those antics but he had no choice and that he couldn't fight a guy who was just backing up. People in Quarry's corner were mocking Starnes which pissed him off

kaps
04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I talked to my friend over at ATT and he told me Kalib was kicked out of the gym as well....

2swell k-wells
04-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I didnt see Kalib fighting either.....

he was in there, and has fought in the past u disrespectful bastard.:nonono:

kaps
04-23-2008, 11:40 PM
he was in there, and has fought in the past u disrespectful bastard.:nonono:

So what, the ref was in there too. If he didnt want too fight he should've dropped out. He has no heart, MMA is probably the wrong career for him....

2swell k-wells
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
So what, the ref was in there too. If he didnt want too fight he should've dropped out. He has no heart, MMA is probably the wrong career for him....

its the wrong sport for u too, u cant even make a career outta it fighting for peanuts.

kaps
04-24-2008, 07:39 PM
What? I don't fight....

Palma
04-24-2008, 07:47 PM
For a guy who broke his foot in the first minutes of the first round he was sure running and bouncing a lot. I once broke my foot kicking (guy blocked my kick and I hit the point of his knee dead on) and I tell you, there was no running and bouncing involved there after it had happened.

I guess Kalib has a high threshold for pain.

kaps
04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I re-watched the first round, he threw 3 kicks, none of them landed....

2swell k-wells
04-24-2008, 08:14 PM
What? I don't fight....

oh no? says here u boxed. how can u do some boxing and not fight? u werent good enough?

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177333&page=5

kaps
04-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I've trained boxing, never had a fight though, didnt get into it to be a pro, got into it to learn how to use my hands and to get into better shape....

2swell k-wells
04-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I've trained boxing, never had a fight though, didnt get into it to be a pro, got into it to learn how to use my hands and to get into better shape....

dont have to be pro, there is always the ams:sleeping:

kaps
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM
That's where the whole, I don't fight comes into play. I had no desireto fight, just like Kalib. Except I didnt jump in and make a fool of myself and my Gym, he did...

2swell k-wells
04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
That's where the whole, I don't fight comes into play. I had no desireto fight, just like Kalib. Except I didnt jump in and make a fool of myself and my Gym, he did...

the thing is he went in there while u too chicken **** to fight anyone at all.

kaps
04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
I know he's canadian and all so you feel like you gotta stick up for him, but the dude has no heart, and if I was being paid to fight, I don't give a **** if it was Fedor, I'd still go in there and try to do somthing. Fact is, he ran 15 minutes just to get paid, when he could've thrown the towle in the first, made the same amount of money, and not waisted everyones time...

Blair_Wells#32
04-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Kalib Starnes released the following official statement regarding his release from the UFC and his now infamous performance against Nate Quarry at UFC 83:
"I would like to begin by saying that I was very happy to fight in Montreal, and that I trained really hard for my fight. I know that there were many people, including myself, who were disappointed with my performance, and I would like to apologize to my coaches, trainers and the fans for what happened. It was by far the worst fight of my career, much to the credit of my opponent, who proved to be a real monster in the ring. I think that they should keep him in a cave somewhere and feed him raw meat!

"During the fight, I received a broken bone in my right foot, and I find out tomorrow if I need to have surgery and get a pin put through it so that it will heal properly. I also have severe bruising on my left thigh, lumps on my head, a fat black eye, a sprained jaw and damage to the nerves in my molars.

"My injuries weren't enough to satisfy [UFC president] Dana White, who made comments after the fight insinuating that I would have been better served allowing myself to be knocked out, comments which prompted me to ask to be released from my contract.

"Those commenting on my performance and wondering why I asked to be released from my contract, a contract which [the UFC] had repeatedly refused to renegotiate, should keep in mind how fighters are compensated by the UFC.

"In my last fight [before UFC 83], for example, I was coming off a win against one of the UFC's top middleweights, Chris Leben. I trained for over three months for the fight, with all expenses coming out of my own pocket -- food, travel, accomodations, supplements, equipment, coaching and cornermen. The athletic commission requires a pre-fight medical exam, blood tests, eye exam and often an EKG, ECG, MRA/ MRI, or CT scan. All of these expenses are mandatory and are incurred by the athlete.

"I was then injured in the bout and received a huge gash on my forehead, which caused the doctor to halt the bout prematurely. The cut became infected, and I spent about two and a half months recovering, during which time I was unable to work or generate any income. The UFC, a company which earned hundreds of millions of dollars that year, paid me less than $5,000.

"You should also keep in mind that I was fighting for the sixth time for the organization and my second time on live PPV, on an event which generated tens of millions of dollars. In short, I paid somewhere between $20,000 to $30,000 for the privilege of having my head split open.

"For [White] to come out and make a statement like that, as though I should be willing to suffer a brain injury while being paid less than $10,000, is beyond comment. How much is a brain injury worth anyway?

"Since the fight, extremely biased articles and commentary have appeared everywhere, articles which were, of course, reprinted quite extensively by those lacking the imagination to make up their own lies. Accusations flew and continue to fly about every aspect of my life and character. I've heard reports that I appeared on a radio show in Montreal attacking the UFC, that I threw the fight in protest, that I've been abandoned by my team over my performance, that I escaped from a polygamist colony in Texas as a child, that I was homeless for years surviving on nothing but peyote caps and good intentions, etc.

"I've been bombarded by questions from every media organization you can imagine. You'd think that I had knocked up Britney Spears or strangled Paris Hilton's pet chihuahua. They ask me clever questions like, 'Why would you want to be released from your UFC contract? Were you injured? What was it like on that reality show? Exactly what is a "hollaback girl"? Do lion-tiger hybrids (ligers) really exist? Which is better, chocolate, or vanilla?' And finally, 'Why is your cardio always in question?' But I don't answer them, 'I just light my cigarette, and smile.'

"I have been asked to appear on Inside MMA Friday to discuss it further. If you're confused about the quote, look it up. I will make copies of my medical records relating to UFC 83 available upon request.

"I regret having to discuss this matter in the press and would have preferred to discuss this matter in private. I was not given this opportunity and feel as though I was forced into a position where I had to respond publicly to the pointed and biased case building against me in the press.

"Regardless of my dissatisfaction with my contract, I will say that to the best of my knowledge the UFC honoured all agreements made with me while I was under contract with them. I do not blame the UFC in any way for my loss, and I hold no grudges against Nate Quarry or his corner.

"This sport is as much about losing as it is about winning. There is a winner and a loser in every fight. I tried to win, but on that night, I couldn't do it and I lost. Instead of allowing me to lose with dignity, I was booed and called names and ridiculed beyond anything which seems reasonable to me. I tried to box with him, and I couldn't find my range; I tried to kickbox with him, and I broke my foot; I tried to take him down and grapple with him, but I was unable to; I tried to work in the clinch, but that didn't work either. In short, I failed. No excuses."

2swell k-wells
04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I know he's canadian and all so you feel like you gotta stick up for him, but the dude has no heart, and if I was being paid to fight, I don't give a **** if it was Fedor, I'd still go in there and try to do somthing. Fact is, he ran 15 minutes just to get paid, when he could've thrown the towle in the first, made the same amount of money, and not waisted everyones time...

yeah he also from BC:canada: and he is also related to my uncle, surrey BC aint so far away from were I live.