View Full Version : George St.Pierre vs Anderson Silva- Who wins?

Don Corleone
04-20-2008, 03:43 PM
This would be the greatest fight in UFC history. Two pure fighters in the ring with each other. I think this wouldn't be far from happening. GSP is a bigger Welterweight and Silva a smaller Middleweight. Silva really has no upcoming competition after beating Franklin and Henderson and GSP cleaned out the WW division after recent wins against Koschek, Hughes and now Serra, so Silva could move down and they could fight and put both their belts on the line. This would be hard to decide who would win because they are both skilled and P4P top fighters in the UFC. Both fighters are excellent and it would be a great match but I would have to go with GSP. He is more focused then he's ever been and more powerful and quicker then ever before and he's also my favourite overall fighter in MMA. The arguement can go either way and a case can also be made for Silva. What's your decision?

Virgil Caine
04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Not really sure, but Silva doesn't seem like a small MW at all to me. He's lanky as ****, and I recall Hendo looking small next to him, even though Hendo had dropped from LHW. In any case, he's not dropping down to WW, GSP would have to come up to make the fight. It seems like a likely fight in the future, especially with GSP's following which would make this a big seller. Still, I see Silva stopping him, I just can't see GSP competing with Silva's stand-up.

Naps
04-20-2008, 03:59 PM
silva comfortably.

Dorian
04-20-2008, 04:02 PM
If GSP can take him down at the start of each round like he did with Serra he could win a close fight but i said this before and i'll say it again, NOBODY in the UFC can take silvas knees, punches so GSP would have to get a submission or something because if he doesn't in 5 rounds one Kness will land ;)

their are both my favorite fighters

AndersonSilva
04-20-2008, 07:07 PM
fight will never happen.

Don Corleone
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM
fight will never happen.

You're supposed to say what you think would happen not whether it will happen but it cam be possible because it will draw in many fans and will make the UFC more money and more PPV buys. It is only a risk because both of them would most likely put up their belt and it might hurt their division because of the close competition

HotSizzle
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd have to go with silva on this, his style is just too good. Although it would be a very interesting match up mma at its best.

American_Ninja
04-20-2008, 11:16 PM
This fight would be a Pick Em fight. Both are at the top of their game.
Old Serra didnt have a snow balls chance in hell.

Rocky This Serra..............:lol1:

Brian13
04-21-2008, 11:44 AM
GSP by submission

Moon
04-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Silva and GSP are both at the top of their game, but Silva is a whole different animal than anybody at Welter including GSP.

If you admire GSP's takedown defense, then you must also respect Silva's since it's a copy of George's, if not better.

I see Silva landed fists and feet almost at will, while avoiding the ground game.

TRAVI$
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Silva is a tall bastard

I really dont think GSP could stand toe to toe, Silvas kicks would be to much for him

On the ground though GSP is soo strong

Id take Silva by TKO

jedihillis
04-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I can't tell you how much I'd love to see this fight. It would be huge.

Atnan
04-22-2008, 01:09 PM
i think GSP will have a huge advantage in not having to cut weight- i was told from many that he cuts an average of 15-25 pounds prior...so moving from 170 to 185- might benefit him by not having to cut weight along with him being able to eat mcdonalds more oftens and beffin up

http://i28.tinypic.com/2ccqnty.jpg

2swell k-wells
04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I'd say GSP would win this on the ground, Silva is good but he aint Great at that ground game eh.

TRAVI$
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Silva is fantastic on the ground

OhNo
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Silva is 6'2 and GSP is 5'10, big difference there. Both are dynamic strikers but obviously Silva has the edge. I would see Silva winning it, not easily, but not exactly super challenging either.

But who the **** knows anyways? Guys like GSP are genetic freaks and are capable of just about anything.

2swell k-wells
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Silva is fantastic on the ground

ok i wouldnt say fantastic but thats your opinion and its all good. But Lutter, dat lazy sum ***** had silva in the mount and couldve finished but lutter aint the best conditioned athlete and far from it. I can possibly see GSP push the action on the ground alot better than anyone in the MW division. This wont happen though, by the time GSP moves to MW I think The Spider will be dethrowned.

OhNo
04-22-2008, 03:06 PM
ok i wouldnt say fantastic but thats your opinion and its all good. But Lutter, dat lazy sum ***** had silva in the mount and couldve finished but lutter aint the best conditioned athlete and far from it. I can possibly see GSP push the action on the ground alot better than anyone in the MW division. This wont happen though, by the time GSP moves to MW I think The Spider will be dethrowned.

He's a BJJ black belt buddy...Lutter is a sick ground guy too and Silva submitted him from his back. Give him some credit.

j-roc
04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I think Silva wins this fight. He is too big for gsp and if he caught GSP with one of those knees its goodnight. GSP would be takin a nap thats my pick.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
GSP is great on the ground and Silva has great leg kicks and knees. I think GSP would take it to the ground and look to finish it there

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Also, Dana White recently said that if both continue to perform the way they are, then there is a chance they could fight each other

The Prodigy
04-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Even tho gsp is my fav fighter i don't think he has fought a complete fighter like silva, so i would go with silva.

Don Corleone
04-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Actually he has not just faught one complete fighters but many. Hughes and Bj Penn are his biggest wins of his career. Hughes is the best WW in MMA history so that win must mean a lot. They were both top fighters in their division and he beat both. He also beat up and comer Josh Koshcek, Sean Sherk and Frank Trigg. All of those are notable big wins in his career. I'm not saying that they are better then Silva compared to his weight class but they are very good also and he was victorious against all of them

vinnie7731
04-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Actually he has not just faught one complete fighters but many. Hughes and Bj Penn are his biggest wins of his career. Hughes is the best WW in MMA history so that win must mean a lot. They were both top fighters in their division and he beat both. He also beat up and comer Josh Koshcek, Sean Sherk and Frank Trigg. All of those are notable big wins in his career. I'm not saying that they are better then Silva compared to his weight class but they are very good also and he was victorious against all of them

i happened to be at the bj penn vs gsp fight and i was pretty shocked at the outcome. after the fight gps's face was swollen and battered and bj looked as if he just got done warming up.

silva vs gsp....silva by brutal beating not as bad as the 1st franklin/silva fight

Don Corleone
04-28-2008, 12:30 AM
i happened to be at the bj penn vs gsp fight and i was pretty shocked at the outcome. after the fight gps's face was swollen and battered and bj looked as if he just got done warming up.

silva vs gsp....silva by brutal beating not as bad as the 1st franklin/silva fight

You have to look at how it is scored. You can't base your decision on how bruised up a fighter is because one fighter can throw 10 punches and not cut his opponent and the other puncher can throw 5 punches and cut his opponent bad. Penn got the first round clearly because he was scoring points with good combination punches. GSP had the second and third round because of his take downs. Take downs score you points also and GSP managed to do that. He was also the agressive one in those rounds and had ring control. That is how the judges score it and that it how the fight happened. BJ Penn didn't do enough to score points for each round. Sure GSP was cut but that was only in the first round. You can't give BJ Penn points in the second and third round for opening cuts back in the first round. Anyone who watches the fight will see that. GSP was more in control in the other rounds and that is what got him the decision

vinnie7731
04-28-2008, 02:16 PM
You have to look at how it is scored. You can't base your decision on how bruised up a fighter is because one fighter can throw 10 punches and not cut his opponent and the other puncher can throw 5 punches and cut his opponent bad. Penn got the first round clearly because he was scoring points with good combination punches. GSP had the second and third round because of his take downs. Take downs score you points also and GSP managed to do that. He was also the agressive one in those rounds and had ring control. That is how the judges score it and that it how the fight happened. BJ Penn didn't do enough to score points for each round. Sure GSP was cut but that was only in the first round. You can't give BJ Penn points in the second and third round for opening cuts back in the first round. Anyone who watches the fight will see that. GSP was more in control in the other rounds and that is what got him the decision

i agree gsp won on points in that match, but bj pens standup is better than gsp's in my opinion. thats why gsp resorted to take downs but didnt do much with them. anyway, i dont think gsp's standup is anywhere near silva's, so i dont think he would have a chance of winning unless he pulled a sherk and was able to continually take down silva and get the decision. that is until silva catches him with knee.

number6
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Im not sure about this one, GSP could end up controling the fight on the ground but Andersons standup would cause him major problems.

GSP is class on his feet but BJ Penn gave him hell in that first round of their fight so im pretty sure Silva would do even better.His reach should come into play.

Its still a tough call and i would never write GSP off but i would edge towards Silva in this one.

2swell k-wells
04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I still got GSP winning.

Don Corleone
05-07-2008, 01:48 PM
If it goes to the ground I think GSP has the better advantage and you could expect him to get the takedown and bring it to the ground. Anderson Silva has the advantage in the stand up but GSP is also familiar with that so that's why it will be a good matchup. Everyone thinks Silva would beat him easily but they don't know that GSP is a much improved fighter then before. He was great before but he's even better now