View Full Version : Serra - GSP III in New York?

Moon
04-20-2008, 10:57 AM
First, let's hope fans can respect what they witnessed in the GSP-Serra rematch and choose not to complain about an early stoppage. Seems even Serra accepts the Ref had no choice. Sure, it's a bitter pill for Serra fans to swallow, seeing their guy turtle and stop fighting, but it's the reality.

Serra-GSP III is a definitely possibly, if Serra wants it. Let's hope it's in NY State, where Serra can enjoy the advantage of a home crowd. But, it's possible the GSP fans might actually outnumber the Serra supporters, even in a New York venue, really. But, it didn't look like too many Serra fans made the trip to Montreal, which is only 400 miles staright north of NYCity on Interstate 87.

Will it happen? And, whose gonna travel to see it?

Dorian
04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
well i think Serra will fight Hughes first, Matt Hughes said he wants Serra if he gets beat by GSp, so

madskills
04-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Serra vs GSP 3, I don't see that happening. But their is a possibility.

Don Corleone
04-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I said this in an older post that if Serra loses he will most likely fight Hughes and St.Pierre will face Fitch. If Serra wins the Hughes fight then he should have a re-match with GSP in NY. If Serra loses and Hughes wins then there will most likely not be a rematch between St.Pierre and Hughes and they will find someone else to fight GSP

Kakutogi-Gumi
04-20-2008, 03:14 PM
It can happen.

In NY though? I don't see it happening for at least another year.

Palma
04-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Serra could fight GSP in his own living room and it still would not make a difference. He would get out-classed again and again and again.

robot_monkey
04-20-2008, 03:27 PM
So I guess Serra is a "mental midget" now. Obviously, he can't handle a few boos. Serra will never make it back high enough to even smell GSP's farts.

Don Corleone
04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
GSP said is himeslf. He didn't take Serra seriously the first time. This time he took him seriously and Serra paid by losing

We want Floyd
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
On the record books, it's 1-1 in the GSP - Serra meetings. But c'mon guys, Serra doesn't deserve another shot at GSP! He simply got his ass handed to him last night.

I'm the first one to laugh whenever an "armchair qb" calls a punch a lucky one, when talkin' about a prizefight. But sh*t, that Serra punch wasn't even a punch, it was more of a lucky elbow that landed on the back of GSP in the first fight.

I'd rather see Penn get another crack at GSP or Penn fight Hughes in a trilogy.

TBEC2
04-20-2008, 10:28 PM
As i said in an earlier post, id love to see Serra move back down to his natural weight of 155 and possibly set up a rematch with Bj Penn.

If not id defiantly want to see a Penn GSP rematch. I actually felt BJ won the 1st fight so a rematch would be awesome.

Dice
04-21-2008, 12:14 AM
MMA isnt sanctioned in NY so its def not happening there

Brian13
04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
The fight wont happen for a while , there are too many people ahead of Serra now

Moon
04-21-2008, 12:19 PM
If not id defiantly want to see a Penn GSP rematch. I actually felt BJ won the 1st fight so a rematch would be awesome.

I aso see Penn as the only test for GSP at Welter. I disagree that Penn won their first fight, since GSP quite easily controlled (not dominated) Rounds 2 and 3, although Penn was more dominant in Round 1.

However, GSP has evolved since that early test with Penn and I don't think the stronger and wiser GSP will stay on his feet and eat Penn's jabs. Once it's on the ground, both guys shouild give us a good show, unlike another one-sided Serra matchup.

I actually don't see Serra III happening, ever. GSP was so completely in control that it would only be another lucky punch that would give Serra a chance.

Don Corleone
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM

MMA wasn't sanctioned in the U.S before or Canada but it happened. They can get it anywhere now. MMA is growing and the more progress it gains, the more places will santion it

vinnie7731
04-21-2008, 07:05 PM

according to what dana white said a few months ago......they were working on an event in ny for 2008 and that they would definetly have an event either in ny or boston in 2008.

Kakutogi-Gumi
04-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Dana also said he'd have a Chicago based event in '08 too. What happened to that?

Also, this event in Montreal was supposed to happen last year.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
It's not as easy as people think. If it was all good and easy wouldn't he be there by now. I wanted him to come to Canada before but it was good timing for the GSP and Serra fight. Now that that cam to Montreal they're going to expand and probobly come to Toronto, its banned here but Dana White will change that

OTSS
04-22-2008, 12:05 PM
There is no reason for this fight to go down again. If it does, Serra gets his ass beat worse than saturday night. He wasn't allowed to do anything.

Atnan
04-22-2008, 12:56 PM
if they honestly care about serra- they will have it in Jersey!

Atnan
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
also- i dont think serra wants to get his ass completely owned infront of his home crowd!

2swell k-wells
04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I think Serra is done, maybe 1 more fight with Hughes and thats it.

BTW Lets hope GSP can defend the belt at least once.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't think everyone should put down Serra that much. I obviously like GSP way more but he was the champion before and I think he should still continue in the UFC because he draws a lot of fans

Blair_Wells#32
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
:nonono: how is Serra done after losing 1 fight? with a bad stoppage at that.
nope he's not done yet, he will fight Hughes an win that one, an probably a re-match with Karo after that 2 get 2 GSP again.
it won't b an easy road back 2 the belt but he'll get there again :fing02:

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
:nonono: how is Serra done after losing 1 fight? with a bad stoppage at that.
nope he's not done yet, he will fight Hughes an win that one, an probably a re-match with Karo after that 2 get 2 GSP again.
it won't b an easy road back 2 the belt but he'll get there again :fing02:

Are you still with the bad stoppage point again. Give me one reason why it was a bad stoppage. He couldn't continue. He verbally tapped. It was a sign to say i'm done. If it wasn't he wouldn't cover like that. If it wasn't then he would complain and everyone else would complain. People always cry robbery and bad stoppages because the guy they were rooting for didn't win

Blair_Wells#32
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
:nonono: your usualy a good poster there SM but do your homework b4 u post.
Serra did not Verbally Tap where u got that Garbage i don't know.
Serra Stated that he asked Lavigne whats up with the Stoppage after the Fight cause he thought there was no justification in stopping it cause he wasn't hurt an didn't quit.
but he didn't complain an just said 2 hell with it what could he do, i'ma do the same an am lookin forward 2 his next fight with Hughes an i hope he puts the Red Neck into Retirement.

Don Corleone
04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Serra Stated that he asked Lavigne whats up with the Stoppage after the Fight cause he thought there was no justification in stopping it cause he wasn't hurt an didn't quit.
but he didn't complain an just said 2 hell with it what could he do, i'ma do the same an am lookin forward 2 his next fight with Hughes an i hope he puts the Red Neck into Retirement.

Thanks man, appreciate it. All I'm trying to say is that Serra is the biggest loud mouth in probobly MMA history. He lets his feelings known. If he got ripped off then he would definitly let his feelings known. He accepted it and even picked up GSP after their match and congratulated him. He knows he couldn't have done anything to stop the takedowns, combinations and control by GSP. In the press conference he gave respect to GSP for the win. I don't know how you see it that way if Serra doesn't even see it that way. I understand your not happy with his performance and I even thought Serra would give more then that but he didn't. IMO he deserves another shot not for his performance but to break the series tie and give him another shot but not right now. Later on when he proves that he can beat the rest of the WW and when GSP has no other competitors then. A fight in NY would be big for UFC

Moon
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM

GSP mentioned a rubber match in NY, which I don't think he'd even whisper if there wasn't on Dana White's radar.

Moon
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think everyone should put down Serra that much. I obviously like GSP way more but he was the champion before and I think he should still continue in the UFC because he draws a lot of fans

Serra has never been a big name or a big draw. His accomplishments in UFC are not signficant, except that he beat GSP easily. If he had managed to repeat, then he'd be the draw you mentioned, but he's never had a big following.

Don Corleone
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Ye but you have to admit, he is intersting to watch. He brings a lot of hype and everyone is still waiting to see Serra vs Hughes soon

2swell k-wells
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Ye but you have to admit, he is intersting to watch. He brings a lot of hype and everyone is still waiting to see Serra vs Hughes soon

True, its mostly Serra's mouth that makes him interesting.

American_Ninja
04-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Unless I'm wrong, Hughes has already inked his next match. So Serra won't be fighting him anytime soon.

2swell k-wells
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Unless I'm wrong, Hughes has already inked his next match. So Serra won't be fighting him anytime soon.

we knew this, so no your not wrong.

Orion
04-30-2008, 06:26 PM
why the **** would there be a rematch lol st pierre got caught in the first fight and pounded him in the 2nd theres no way st pierre loses.

2swell k-wells
04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
why the **** would there be a rematch lol st pierre got caught in the first fight and pounded him in the 2nd theres no way st pierre loses.

money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money

Biggus Dickus
05-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Turtling up is not regarded as "intelligently defending" yourself which is what is required for a fight to continue.

If you do not offer an intelligent defense the fight is stopped and that is fair enough IMO.

Serra did not complain because he knew he wasn't intelligently defending himself.

2swell k-wells
05-01-2008, 01:46 AM

your sig...holy ****:wank:

Blair_Wells#32
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
in response 2 bd Serra did ask the ref whats up with the stoppage after the fight.....now on 2 other news.
from mmamania.com

Remember, this is the site that the UFC recently set up to help legalize the sport in the ***8220;Empire State***8221; once and for all. Check out the email from former UFC welterweight champion, Matt Serra, after the jump that was recently sent out in a grassroots-esque attempt to win over local legislators with a groundswell of public support.

(Thanks to MMAmania.com reader ***8220;Shaolins Finest***8221; for the assist.)

Dear [Mania],

As a native New Yorker, nothing would make me happier than fighting right here in New York.

But I need your help. New York has an antiquated law on its books that prevents any respectable MMA event from being held anywhere in the state. We want that to change, and I***8217;m sure you do too.

These things happen because of pressure from local residents on their legislators, letting the people who pass the bills know that the people they represent care about particular issues.

So we need to get a lot of people to email their legislators. So, please go to www.MMAFacts.com and click on my picture on the left, follow the instructions and send an email or two to your local legislator.

Then forward this email to as many people as you can who you think will also be willing to write and take action.

With your help, we will get MMA to New York. And we will hope to see you at the fights.

Thank you,