View Full Version : What's next for Hughes?

Don Corleone
03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
After losing to GSP, Hughes is at an end point, should he face the winner of GSP and Serra since he was orignally supposed to fight George St. Pierre or should he retire?

2swell k-wells
03-30-2008, 09:14 PM
:s:S it would make more sense if he actually fought kos or fitch then have a potential title shot. But he already lost to GSP twice so whats the point on having a 3rd bout with him when he got beat in dominated fashion? He should retire.

Don Corleone
03-30-2008, 11:55 PM
No I think he still has one more fight left in him, a hughes and serra would be a good one if serra loses to GSP so everyone can see the long awaited ulitmate fighter fight, but if GSP wins then he should fight one more person to prove he is the best contender for the belt and then he should retire, he does have a good career and could retire anytime but another fight would make him a really memorable fighter

Blair_Wells#32
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
i don't think hughes will get another shot at the title, he'll have 2 go through Kos or Fitch an i think either has a good chance of beating him.
if Serra loses on the 19th then i'd like 2 see Serra b the one 2 Knock Hughes into Retirement.

2swell k-wells
03-31-2008, 03:41 AM
There are 2 fighters I would like to fight Hughes, those are Fitch and Karo.

kaps
03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
He's waiting around for a Serra fight.....

Harms
03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
He's waiting around for a Serra fight.....

If Serra wins, then a Hughes fight shouldn't happen. If GSP wins, let him fight Serra and then retire. Don't really want to see him fight anyone else really. Maybe Kos a little bit.

kaps
03-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Kos is a better wrestler than Hughes. Maybe he should move up and fight Anderson Silva LOL....

Don Corleone
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Kos is a better wrestler than Hughes. Maybe he should move up and fight Anderson Silva LOL....

u must be jokin thats why u put lol cause if u aint then u need to learn ur mma

kaps
03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
u must be jokin thats why u put lol cause if u aint then u need to learn ur mma

Sarcasm is lost in text.......

Don Corleone
03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
ye i knew you were, maybe a few more fights for Le then he should be considerred but looks like we on the same point

vinnie7731
03-31-2008, 07:17 PM
i don't think hughes will get another shot at the title, he'll have 2 go through Kos or Fitch an i think either has a good chance of beating him.
if Serra loses on the 19th then i'd like 2 see Serra b the one 2 Knock Hughes into Retirement.

yeah, i agree. i really dnt think he deserves another title shot unless he beats a few top contenders. hope serra wins on the 19th, but if he doesnt then who wouldnt want to see serra vs hughes. and yes, to see serra put hughes into retirement would be priceless considering the hate they have for each other. im not a huges fan.

Don Corleone
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Even if he was the champion it wouldn't be as memorable as his younger days

Dorian
04-06-2008, 10:58 PM
he should retire and go relax on his farm
he's done now, had a great career

2swell k-wells
04-07-2008, 12:57 AM
he should retire and go relax on his farm
he's done now, had a great career

there is no relaxing on a farm.

phallus
04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
GSP will beat serra, serra will beat hughes into retirement, then matt can stay home on the farm where he belongs and practice submissions on his wife

Biggus Dickus
04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I think the game caught up to Hughes and he never truly evolved into a well rounded fighter.

He always tended to rely on his wrestling an athletic ability and once he came up against someone he couldn't outwrestle he got exposed.

He should retire.

vinnie7731
04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I think the game caught up to Hughes and he never truly evolved into a well rounded fighter.

He always tended to rely on his wrestling an athletic ability and once he came up against someone he couldn't outwrestle he got exposed.

He should retire.

you couldn't have put it any better

still wana see serra vs hughes though

Don Corleone
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
many people still want to see the serra hughes but if serra wins it probobly won't happen, hughes has to fight more fights to reach up to there and I don't think he will, he will probobly just retire

Palma
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
I want to see BJ take him on again.

Don Corleone
04-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't even think BJ is a welterweight anymore and even if he is, it wouldn't be a good match, Hughes is too old

TBEC2
04-10-2008, 02:13 PM

He should retire.

Very well put.

He should retire knowing he pretty much made that division what it is today.

2swell k-wells
04-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Very well put.

He should retire knowing he pretty much made that division what it is today.

are u for real??? Hughes didnt make the divisoin u **** tard. the whole talent along with GSP made the WW what it is today u redneck.

Biggus Dickus
04-10-2008, 07:47 PM
are u for real??? Hughes didnt make the divisoin u **** tard. the whole talent along with GSP made the WW what it is today u redneck.
Dude, Hughes is without a doubt the greatest Welterweight champ in UFC history, his record & his championship reign speaks for itself.

He has more successful titles defenses than anyone in UFC history and has wins over BJ & GSP. He also completely embarrassed Royce Gracie.

His record speaks for itself and he did put the Welterweight division on the map, whether you want to admit it or not.

I personally think the guy is a major *******, so there is not one ounce of bias in my post.

Chill with the name calling, we are here for a bit of fun, no need to be a dick if you don't agree with what someone has said.

Peace.

Don Corleone
04-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Dude, Hughes is without a doubt the greatest Welterweight champ in UFC history, his record & his championship reign speaks for itself.

He has more successful titles defenses than anyone in UFC history and has wins over BJ & GSP. He also completely embarrassed Royce Gracie.

His record speaks for itself and he did put the Welterweight division on the map, whether you want to admit it or not.

I personally think the guy is a major *******, so there is not one ounce of bias in my post.

Chill with the name calling, we are here for a bit of fun, no need to be a dick if you don't agree with what someone has said.

Peace.

Ye, Hughes did make the division what it is today, and whoever disagrees really doesn't no much about UFC. He's been there for a while and defended his belt against many top fighters. He is by farr the greatest WW in UFC history. GSP is one of my favourite WW ever but compared to Hughes history, he has been more successful and has more experience then GSP. GSP might be better style wise, but Hughes was the top fighter in his prime.

TBEC2
04-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Are you serious?? Do your homework.

GSP has held the belt once and lost the damn thing on his first defense. Hughes has held the belt twice and successfully defended it 9 times.

If you wanna hug GSP's nuts that fine, but dont deny the fact that Hughes was once top dog of that yard for a long time and made the staple of what a welter weight should be.

2swell k-wells
04-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Are you serious?? Do your homework.

GSP has held the belt once and lost the damn thing on his first defense. Hughes has held the belt twice and successfully defended it 9 times.

If you wanna hug GSP's nuts that fine, but dont deny the fact that Hughes was once top dog of that yard for a long time and made the staple of what a welter weight should be.

he was succesful but 1 man dont make a division. Look at Anderson Silva and how many times he is defending the title and still the MW division is wack.

Don Corleone
04-11-2008, 03:50 PM
he was succesful but 1 man dont make a division. Look at Anderson Silva and how many times he is defending the title and still the MW division is wack.

What are you argueing? That GSP made the division or that the WW division is wack. Your mentioning two completely unrelated subjects that don't connect. First you said GSP made the WW division then your comparing it to middleweight and saying WW is ****? Make a clear point

Mickey Gomez
04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Hughes Serra needs to happen.

Blair_Wells#32
04-12-2008, 12:07 AM
a few words from matt serra, from mmamadness.com

Matt Serra On His Place In MMA:

I am the MMA version of The Cinderella Man, except my fight didn***8217;t go the distance. When you beat the man, you***8217;re the man. Matt Hughes was the man and he got beat soundly by GSP. I knocked out GSP, so I am the man right now.

Serra On Georges St. Pierre:

Afterward he made up some excuses, but he apologized. He is a young guy who got the belt at an early age. There***8217;s no reason for me to be angry at him. It***8217;s not like Matt Hughes, who I think is a moron. GSP is a good guy.

Serra On Matt Hughes:

I***8217;d like to fight Matt Hughes at some point. That fight has to happen regardless (of what happens against GSP). Too much has been done and said. Some guys win some fights and they become *******s. I***8217;m no different for better or worse. But Matt Hughes brings out the worst in me. He is mentally challenged. I haven***8217;t read his book. People said it makes him sound like a dickhead. That***8217;s not surprising. He***8217;s not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Serra On His First Fight With Georges St. Pierre.

People love GSP, but you can***8217;t deny what I have done. You have Matt Hughes saying it was a lucky punch, but he***8217;s a retard. Georges was supposed to be the new MMA god; the guy on the Wheaties box.. As far as everyone was concerned, I was just a little Italian guy that got lucky. It wasn***8217;t one punch.I got the better of every exchange. I had a gameplan and it was my night. People will say what they want to say. I haven***8217;t lost any sleep over it. What can they say anyway? That I didn***8217;t dominate that fight? It doesn***8217;t matter. Critics can***8217;t get into the cage with you unless they are in your head. Look, when I get (to Montreal's Bell Centre), I know (the fans) are going to be against me. That***8217;s Ok. I already have my family and friends, I could use a few enemies. So boo me. Boo me you drunks!

2swell k-wells
04-12-2008, 01:32 AM
What are you argueing? That GSP made the division or that the WW division is wack. Your mentioning two completely unrelated subjects that don't connect. First you said GSP made the WW division then your comparing it to middleweight and saying WW is ****? Make a clear point

alright, iwas a bit tipsy while writing that. Im saying that WW has the best talent in the UFC and your saying Matt Hughes made that division which is not true. 1 man dont make a division, the talent of all the ww fighters do. There are alot of great fighters in the WW division that makes it what it is today.

Don Corleone
04-12-2008, 02:24 PM
alright, iwas a bit tipsy while writing that. Im saying that WW has the best talent in the UFC and your saying Matt Hughes made that division which is not true. 1 man dont make a division, the talent of all the ww fighters do. There are alot of great fighters in the WW division that makes it what it is today.

The term "made the WW division" refers to great competitors that fight in the WW division. The main man that helped or even started that was Matt Hughes. GSP is living it but didn't start it. He was there when the WW division was at it's peak in the UFC but Matt Hughes started the peak with where it's at. With that you can't argue any point because without Hughes, the WW might of not been as well. When you look at that division the oldest one is Hughes and the rest are considerably young. Hughes has 9 successful title defenses which shows a lot as to his contribution and effort in the UFC. He is argueably the greatest WW in recent history. So to say that he didn't make the division is a really unclear and bold statement because he along with others helped make the division what it is today but the reason no one mentions anyone else is because he's been there since the start of when the division was good and is still there so he is mostly remembered for his work and how he helped.

Dorian
04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Make Serra/ Hughes Happen!

Don Corleone
04-12-2008, 05:23 PM
It ain't gonna happen if Serra wins

2swell k-wells
04-12-2008, 10:29 PM
The term "made the WW division" refers to great competitors that fight in the WW division. The main man that helped or even started that was Matt Hughes. GSP is living it but didn't start it. He was there when the WW division was at it's peak in the UFC but Matt Hughes started the peak with where it's at. With that you can't argue any point because without Hughes, the WW might of not been as well. When you look at that division the oldest one is Hughes and the rest are considerably young. Hughes has 9 successful title defenses which shows a lot as to his contribution and effort in the UFC. He is argueably the greatest WW in recent history. So to say that he didn't make the division is a really unclear and bold statement because he along with others helped make the division what it is today but the reason no one mentions anyone else is because he's been there since the start of when the division was good and is still there so he is mostly remembered for his work and how he helped.

what about good old carlos newton? or Pat Miletich? He was WW champ and defended the belt as much times as Hughes.

Don Corleone
04-13-2008, 02:55 PM
what about good old carlos newton? or Pat Miletich? He was WW champ and defended the belt as much times as Hughes.

They didn't fight the same top ranking guys Hughes did. They're legacy isn't as well as Hughes. Anyone that you ask that knows Hughes and about MMA will tell you he's the greatest and no one can compare to him. IMO GSP is the closest to be like him but he has to fight more guys and prove he is the best WW in the division

Biggus Dickus
04-13-2008, 07:40 PM
No they did not.

Hughes has the most defenses from any champ in any weight class in UFC history.

Don Corleone
04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Looks like you sure that GSP gonna beat serra? So am I, he has a lot of potential

2swell k-wells
04-14-2008, 04:27 PM
No they did not.

Hughes has the most defenses from any champ in any weight class in UFC history.

I remember hearing either joe rogan or goldberg saying pat miletich defended the belt as much as hughes. Hughes said this as well.

Don Corleone
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Who has been in the more exciting fights that most people remember? Hughes or Miletich

2swell k-wells
04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Who has been in the more exciting fights that most people remember? Hughes or Miletich

didnt watch any miletich fights. Hughes seemed boring as well.

Biggus Dickus
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I remember hearing either joe rogan or goldberg saying pat miletich defended the belt as much as hughes. Hughes said this as well.
Trust me dude, Hughes has the most defenses out of any champ in UFC history, more than Miletich, more than anyone.

check out the fight finder at www.sherdog.com, it has every fighters record there.

Hughes is the man at WW in the UFC.

Palma
04-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Trust me dude, Hughes has the most defenses out of any champ in UFC history, more than Miletich, more than anyone.

check out the fight finder at www.sherdog.com, it has every fighters record there.

Hughes WAS the man!

GSP is the man now, Hughes handed him the torch in my opinion during their last bout. Hughes was a dominating force while he was champ though.

Don Corleone
04-14-2008, 10:34 PM
GSP is the new face for the WW division. He's cleaning it up and making sure he's at the top of the chain

2swell k-wells
04-15-2008, 02:46 AM

I guess everything u said was true except for the "Hughes is the man at WW in the UFC" wtf man:banned:

Biggus Dickus
04-15-2008, 03:49 AM
I guess everything u said was true except for the "Hughes is the man at WW in the UFC" wtf man:banned:
I meant of all time, should have qualified that ****, my bad.