View Full Version : Rees vs Khan - who would win?

Clegg
03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
From what I have seen Rees looks very small for a light-welter. If he was a Tyson-style puncher then fair enough but he doesn't seem to have much power. When you consider that he is 5'3 and used to fight as a featherweight, I really can't see how he could handle a full size world class light-welterweight such as Witter(5'7), Malignaggi(5'8) or Hatton(5'6).

Looking on boxrec, he seems to have fought an alarming number of fighters with losing records. His last opponent before his title shot was 9-47:ugh:

On the other hand...he is unbeaten, has just won a world title against someone who is 5'9, and apparently had problems making the LW limit. So maybe I'm judging him too harshly.

There's a question mark over Khan's chin but other than that he seems very talented and I think he's coming along nicely, improving with each fight, and I disagree with those who think that he's being moved along too slowly. I'm not at all impressed by David Diaz, and I think it's a shame that he's signed up to lose his belt to Pacquiao, because I think Khan only needs a bit more improvement and experience before I'd pick him to beat Diaz. I consider him to be in the top 10 in the division.

I haven't seen much of Gavin Rees(only highlights) and he may not be the champion anymore after tomorrow night, so I'll watch his performance before making a prediction, but I was wondering what everyone else thought of Rees and of this potential fight.

Ryn0
03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Khan and he's just a prospect Rees is just that bad

Makaaveli
03-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Khan would win...

Sugarj
03-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Khan on sheer raw talent!

Enzo Calzaghe would probably go bananas at his second world title loss as trainer after winning his award...............and God help the gymnasium if Joe loses to 43 year old Hopkins, I think Enzo Calzaghe is scarier than the lot of them!

Patty Tanager
03-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Rees has got the kind of face that lookes like it will cut easily. With Amir's power and accuracy i reckon he would cut him and force the TKO.

RichCCFC
03-22-2008, 05:39 PM
I'll tell you after todays fight.

fasman
03-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Khan with ease....

Clegg
03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Just watching Rees now, he seems to be taking far too many good punches, and Kotelnik seems to have a decent defence, meaning that most of Rees' body shots are landing on his elbows.

Clegg
03-22-2008, 07:39 PM
End of the 8th round. I'm not keeping score but Woodhall's 76-76 scorecard seems a bit too kind to Rees. I'd be surprised if he can turn this one around, he's taking some good shots.

RichCCFC
03-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I think Rees would make it competitive but would probably lose a decision. At lightweight I think Rees could make an impact.

Patty Tanager
03-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I think Rees would make it competitive but would probably lose a decision. At lightweight I think Rees could make an impact.

He should seriously be looking at super featherweight.

col Blake
03-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Even with Rees's crushing defeat last night I still think he would beat Khan if they fought anytime over the next 12 months, but after Khan gains experence next year or later Khan would end up beating him, with the ref stepping in.

hookoutofhell
04-06-2008, 02:02 PM
khan quite easily - rees is a good fighter with decent stamina but khan looks in great condition and looks stronger than ever.in fact hes probably one of the most powerful lights at this time.
________
Suzuki sj (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_SJ)

ophqui
04-06-2008, 03:04 PM
a good fight if it happens this year, a one sided one f it happens next year, kahn wins either way i think, rees is solid but kahn would be too much for him

Clegg
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Gavin Rees is in line to face Amir Khan in September.

Rees, 27, lost the first defence of his WBA light-welterweight title to Andreas Kotelnik in Cardiff in March.

But he is on a shortlist to take on Olympic silver medalist Khan, 21, for the Bolton man's Commonwealth lightweight title.

An official announcement of Khan's opponent is expected on Tuesday.

Former British super-featherweight champion Michael Gomez and Scotland's Ricky Burns are also thought to be in contention to meet the Olympic star.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7380482.stm

Perhaps this fight will happen. Maybe Rees will be a bit better at lightweight, but I don't think Khan will have too much trouble beating him, probably within the distance.

I hope it isn't true about Khan-Gomez being a possibility; the guy hasn't beaten anyone with a winning record since 2004, and his next scheduled opponent has a losing record as well. And he's not a lightweight, either.

I have defended Khan's level of oposition so far but if he fights Gomez I will have to stop.

sparked_85
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
oh no Khan Gomez????

The Punchbag
05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Rees has to be one of the worst fighters to have ever held a serious title. Watched his title fight where he lost the belt and he was just plain awful. No punch power whatsoever, very little talent and looked 2 or 3 weight classes too high at light welter.

If this fight ever took place, and i see no reason why it should, then Khan would win inside 6 rounds.

Funky_Monk
05-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Rees has to be one of the worst fighters to have ever held a serious title. Watched his title fight where he lost the belt and he was just plain awful. No punch power whatsoever, very little talent and looked 2 or 3 weight classes too high at light welter.

If this fight ever took place, and i see no reason why it should, then Khan would win inside 6 rounds.
So what your saying is he held a world title two weights above what he should fight at...... and that makes him talentless? I really dont undersand why people have to be so negative about fighters, they take a big risk in sepping inside the ring show a littel respect at least.

duffgun
05-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Khan late KO

sparked_85
05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I think Khan would hammer Rees.

ATFsven
05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Khan Gomez???
i dont have a problem with it as Gomez was/is a warrior and i used to love watching him fight! he deserves a decent payday on his way out.

sparked_85
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Khan Gomez???
i dont have a problem with it as Gomez was/is a warrior and i used to love watching him fight! he deserves a decent payday on his way out.

Yeah at least Gomez can punch.