View Full Version : Derry Matthews vs Choi Tseveenpurev

chrismart83
03-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Looking forward to his:

Mathews aims for new title

DERRY MATHEWS will get the chance to add a second world title to his WBU featherweight crown at the Bolton Arena on April 5.

'The Golden Boy' has been matched with current WBF world champion Choi Tseveenpurev on Grand National day – one of the most keenly avoided nine stone fighters on the planet.

The Mongolian veteran has racked up 18 stoppages in 26 career wins and picked up his fringe world crown six months before Mathews and, similarly, has made two successful defences since.

Mathews, who delayed the start of his sparring until today after the withdrawal of original opponent Steve Foster Jnr last week, said: “Choi is a seriously tough replacement, in fact he’s definitely a tougher fight for me than Foster would have been.

“I took Foster to school when I was just a baby, this time around I would have stopped him for sure. But Choi is a completely different fighter and is very strong. Nobody in or around nine stone will fight him anymore.

“But I am a world champion and in my eyes that means taking on the best opponents available. I don’t want to dodge anybody. When I beat Choi the rest of the featherweight division will sit up and take notice again.

“I believe I will prove myself to be the best featherweight in the world and I am not afraid to fight tough men like him.”

Tseveenpurev may be 36, but he’s lost only four times in 30 contests, the last being in 2004, and he's never even touched the canvas, never mind been stopped.

After campaigning in the early part of his career in Thailand and China, he is now based in the UK, where he has become something of a marked man for starlets near to nine stone.

A big-hitting warrior with a granite chin and a reputation as a real workhorse, he captured the fringe WBF world crown two years ago and has stopped three of four opponents – two of those title defences – since.

Domestically most Brits have given him a wide birth, but Mathews is determined to prove he's the best featherweight in the world and more than a worthy challenger for the WBO crown, for which he is now rated at number two, following champion Steve Luevano’s destruction of former number one contender Terdsak Jandaeng in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Defeating Tseveenpurev would send out the biggest warning yet that the popular Scouser is ready to move onto the big stage.

He added: “I was living, eating and sleeping Steve Foster Jnr and then he pulled out. We then offered the fight to Michael Hunter, who was British,Commonwealth and European champion and fought for the IBF world title. But he wasn’t interested.

“But finally Choi came into the picture and so now I will turn my attention 100% onto him.

“He was supposed to be making a title defence himself on March 30 so he’s already in the gym too. He’ll be at his very best.

“But as I have said, I believe I can be the best in the world at nine stone. That means fighting the best out there.

“I am a world champion and as such that means every fight I have should be tough now. But Choi will not stop me from achieving my goals of becoming the world number one.

“I am already flying in the gym. My weight has come down perfectly and I am looking forward to starting sparring.

“Come April 5 I am going to be in the best shape ever.”

Tickets for the double world title fight, which headlines alongside Amir Khan’s WBO world title eliminator, are available in Liverpool by calling 07960 066068.

Liverpool light-heavyweight knockout artist ‘Bomber’ Tony Bellew also features on the bill.

.................................................. ........

From the Liverpool Echo

beecherhq
03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Can't wait, i do believe he is something special. Very exciting to watch and has a lot of heart.

chrismart83
03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Can't wait, i do believe he is something special. Very exciting to watch and has a lot of heart.

Yeah mate hes looking good. I enjoy watching him, and also Paul Smith fight.

rooq
03-19-2008, 05:03 PM
dirty derry is going to unify the wbu and wbf titles...:hail:

p4p baybeee!

but seriously, he's got no chance against Luevano if he gets through this. too slick for derrys style.

Clegg
03-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Hopefully he'll be ready to step up to IBO level by the end of the year.

duffgun
03-20-2008, 12:40 PM
dirty derry is going to unify the wbu and wbf titles...:hail:

p4p baybeee!

but seriously, he's got no chance against Luevano if he gets through this. too slick for derrys style.

I remember watching him on ITV and he seemed like a twat in there, hope he losses.

Patty Tanager
03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Hopefully he'll be ready to step up to IBO level by the end of the year.

LMAO. I can just see it now, Frank Warren: "He is the undisputed champion, we made a career high offer to Chris John, but his people are running scared.".

The Monk
03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
I am not a fan of Matthews at all. His fight with John Simpson was a disgrace and I personally felt he should have been disqualified. I think he is British level at most and if he does step up, don't hold your breath, I think he will lose. I usually support British fighters, but not this one.

dansapien
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Matthews is CLEARLY awful, I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise.

Incredibly limited, and seems to think he's something special because he holds the WBU belt.

Idiot.

Muttley85
03-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Warren is planning to take Matthews the standard WBO route, problem is Steven Luevano is rather good and will destroy him.

beecherhq
03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Warren is planning to take Matthews the standard WBO route, problem is Steven Luevano is rather good and will destroy him.

Is this the same steve luevano who got smashed around the ring on the pacman against JMM undercard?

The Monk
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Is this the same steve luevano who got smashed around the ring on the pacman against JMM undercard?

Luevano looked very impressive in that fight. Although he was dropped, I gave him about 10 of the 12 rounds. Hes a tremendous counter puncher who would dominate Matthews.

beecherhq
03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Luevano looked very impressive in that fight. Although he was dropped, I gave him about 10 of the 12 rounds. Hes a tremendous counter puncher who would dominate Matthews.

He was good in that fight but i saw a lot to work on, i think if they did fight it'd be a lot more competitive than you make out

Muttley85
03-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Luevano had Nicky Cook on the canvas 5 times before it was stopped. Theres a huge gap between the current crop of British featherweights and the guys on the world level.

`STEELHEAD
04-05-2008, 03:58 AM
this fights going to be streaming!
http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=9438&part=sports

sparked_85
04-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Luevano is brilliant.

I'd love to see him over here again. He would rape Matthews.

There are classes of fighters. Luevano is a world class fighter. He gets a way with throwing lead right hands again and again. That's how good he is.

chrismart83
04-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Think the fight is on itv4 tonight at 7.30pm.

The Monk
04-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Matthews is getting ****ed up...

Patty Tanager
04-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry, i don't normally laugh at someone getting a pasting. But this was funny. Another Warren fighter spoon fed bums "WBU World Champion" - LMFAO, steps up to anything remotely resembling World class and gets absolutely starched :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: .

.Mik.
04-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, he just got completely and utterly spanked tonight.

Fair play to him for repeatedly getting up, but he fought a stupid fight and got completely tanked.

-----------
04-05-2008, 04:04 PM
WOW, just wow.

all I can say.

didn't expect that, thats why i love boxing.

Duggie
04-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Is Choi the secret lovechild of Yoda?

gunners
04-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Saw this fight on ITV4 tonight and matthews got raped lol wrost than Earl did against Katsidis

sparked_85
04-05-2008, 06:41 PM
He got smashed.

****ed to the body, ****ed to the head.

Completely ****ed.

He is British level. I think Stephen Foster Jr must have been severely weight drained when he fough Derry. He's much better than Derry.

adietheforestfa
04-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Did you see interview?
Baccccck to the learning board. lol. ****in mickey mouser, a a a

*2TOUGH*
04-06-2008, 04:43 AM
Did you see interview?
Baccccck to the learning board. lol. ****in mickey mouser, a a a

notice how he said that he wants to go through the british title route. im glad this ****in prick got his ass handed to him. They robbed that Scottish dude in Liverpool last time round. Derry is a pusssssy and probably isnt even british level now that his ass got handed :owned::bottle::bottle::bottle:

big paulie
04-06-2008, 02:21 PM
can anyone post the video up?

dansapien
04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
not seen the fight yet. but i cant express how happy i am he lost.

Unanimous
04-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Me too. Wee choi had an embarrassing style but Derry was just embarrassing full stop.

The Monk
04-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Right I think its time for me to explain why I was so happy to see Matthews get a hiding on Saturday...

My first memory of Derry Matthews was when he was on some undercard on ITV fighting Stephen Foster Jnr. ITV didn't show the whole fight, but when coverage started Foster's face was a mess and the commentators were saying how Matthews had been beating the **** out of him. Watching that fight though, I wasn't impressed. His punches were powderpuff and his dirty tactics were already evident, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited for his next fight to make my mind up on him.

That next fight was against John Simpson. To put it bluntly ITVs coverage of that fight was a disgrace. Not only did they hype up Matthews to make out he was the next De La Hoya they also showed definate bias during the fight. I still argue to that day that John Simpson was robbed in that fight. I can't remember exactly, but I think I scored about 5 rounds for Simpson. Those rounds and the fact Matthews was docked 2 points and got knocked down meant that the score cards were a farce. (check boxrec for scores) The fact that the fight was a robbery was only half the story. Matthews implemented some of the dirtiest tactics I have ever seen in that fight. He was elbowing, butting, clinching etc all fight and should have been dq without doubt. I now was officaly president of the Derry Matthews is a fraud society.

Over the next year Matthews continued to win with ITV stringing the general public along. I'm sure most boxing fans could see Matthews was British level at best and bound to catch a hiding soon. That beating came last saturday and I ****ing loved it. I hope John Simpson can get a rematch because the way he was treated that night in Liverpool was a complete and utter disgrace.

I apologise to any Matthews fans. I am a big supporter of British fighters, but not this one.

duffgun
04-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Right I think its time for me to explain why I was so happy to see Matthews get a hiding on Saturday...

My first memory of Derry Matthews was when he was on some undercard on ITV fighting Stephen Foster Jnr. ITV didn't show the whole fight, but when coverage started Foster's face was a mess and the commentators were saying how Matthews had been beating the **** out of him. Watching that fight though, I wasn't impressed. His punches were powderpuff and his dirty tactics were already evident, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited for his next fight to make my mind up on him.

That next fight was against John Simpson. To put it bluntly ITVs coverage of that fight was a disgrace. Not only did they hype up Matthews to make out he was the next De La Hoya they also showed definate bias during the fight. I still argue to that day that John Simpson was robbed in that fight. I can't remember exactly, but I think I scored about 5 rounds for Simpson. Those rounds and the fact Matthews was docked 2 points and got knocked down meant that the score cards were a farce. (check boxrec for scores) The fact that the fight was a robbery was only half the story. Matthews implemented some of the dirtiest tactics I have ever seen in that fight. He was elbowing, butting, clinching etc all fight and should have been dq without doubt. I now was officaly president of the Derry Matthews is a fraud society.

Over the next year Matthews continued to win with ITV stringing the general public along. I'm sure most boxing fans could see Matthews was British level at best and bound to catch a hiding soon. That beating came last saturday and I ****ing loved it. I hope John Simpson can get a rematch because the way he was treated that night in Liverpool was a complete and utter disgrace.

I apologise to any Matthews fans. I am a big supporter of British fighters, but not this one.

Same here i saw the Simpson fight. Matthews should have been DQ, I was happy after Matthews got knocked the **** out.

sparked_85
04-07-2008, 01:33 PM
No one likes Derry. haha.

He is very powderpuff for such a big lad at the weight.

medium-deek
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
That was a beating and a half. LMAO.

Patty Tanager
04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I'd just like to take this oppurtunity to :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: at this fight again.

Stephen Hawking
04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Matthews should be deported to Amercia for quitting like he did. All he did was take a few comedy haymakers from a four foot tall goat herder and he was in ribbons. The body shots that finished him were just regulation shots. I'm thinking he must have American parentage for him to quit like that.

chrissyboy
04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
the idea of this fight was for choi to enforce power so it didnt matter how good he looked.true he is wild but thats the way he likes it.the only 2 losses hes had in the uk was to willie limond whos a lightweight and was out on his feet at one point during his fight with choi.next was lehona lebwada a multi world champion who went in with pacquio and that fight was split.he also fought veerapol sarapon who was a multi champ from thailand and a fight for the paba championship.and in those 2 events he was only in his second and third fight as a pro.he hits hard and stops alot of fighters.very unorthadox and fears no man so i would say that hes in the top ten feathers in the world.
boxrec now have him rated at number 5.british boxing have him as number one .its amazing cos hes been here nearly eight years and should have been on tv alot more and if someone like warren would have took notice earlier he would have been a champ a long time ago.the thing is theres 2 mongolians boxing out of manchester.the other is shinny bayaar whos smoked both his signings,reider walstead and a guy called kooner.maybe now we can get to see more now chois exposed matthews as british level.
you need to have a real good chin when competing at the highest level and i think although he may get outboxed his chin is superb.
im only too glad i was able to help bring these guys to the uk but its come a bit late in the day unfortunately.
but good luck to mathews hes 13 years chois junior so has time to learn and come back.
i just joined today so sorry about the late post.

adietheforestfa
04-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Bacccccccck to stealing car stereos for the young Mathews

OldSkool
04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
it was the first boxing id seen for a while cos i just got back from uni and i have to say matthews looked terrible. just another victim of the frank warren hype machine im afraid.

OldSkool
04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Matthews should be deported to Amercia for quitting like he did. All he did was take a few comedy haymakers from a four foot tall goat herder and he was in ribbons. The body shots that finished him were just regulation shots. I'm thinking he must have American parentage for him to quit like that.

Hawking, your a sick twisted little man. funnny as hell though

Sn1
04-19-2008, 11:40 AM
he rly tried, u cant take that from matthews.

and i dont think simpson was robbed in their fight either.
u guys shud watch it again WITHOUT the commentary seriously.