View Full Version : Benn hails Calzaghe

Orange Sneakers
03-05-2008, 11:57 PM
copied and pasted from boxrec forums:

'He's the king of British boxing right now, but he might be packing it in soon. So it's upto the Hayes or Maccarinellis or whoever to step up to the plate.

'Nobody wants to be a champion for a couple of fights. You train your backside off your whole life for something, and you don't want it over in a flash.

'With Haye and Maccarinelli, to be honest, these men are still only really novices and the loser of their fight can rebuild and come again. It's not a make-or-break fight.

'It's about who is the last man standing. I say they're novices when you stack them upto a Joe Calzaghe.

'I rate them that highly that the winner could be going onto something very special and the loser can dust himself down and go again. It's about who is the last man standing, not after one fight but after year on year on year.'

'I never once was tempted to make a comeback. I started my career with 22 straight knockouts and finished it with 13 straight world title fights, and in between that had fights in Vegas, world title wins and a million pound purse.

'What didn't I do? You're looking at knockout streaks, unifications, 18.5 million viewing figures, 16.5 million pound purse offers; I never in a million years would have dreamed my career would turn out like it did.

'I didn't have 10 years and even managed to fit in five defeats!'

'You improve as world champion because you're fighting hungry guys who want to become world champion.

'If you're a world class fighter, you improve after defeat because the man who beat you was world class.

'You can correct things and it's all one big learning curve.

'But when you're young you think you know it all and you're giving it the Johnny Big Potatoes; in the gym, in the interviews and everywhere.

'Ask Joe Calzaghe if he's a better fighter now than he was five, six or 10 years ago.'

Mickey Gomez
03-06-2008, 03:19 AM
He had better things to say about Calzaghe than Steve Collins did.

Unanimous
03-06-2008, 05:52 AM
But when you're young you think you know it all and you're giving it the Johnny Big Potatoes

Lol! What a great term, "Johnny Big Potatoes"

He's right though.