View Full Version : Should I do it?

DMC
03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

I would like to get some opinions from our older guy's here.

I am 32 I have been boxing since Feb last year, I train pretty hard 4 days a week 2 days sparring. I have come from having no coordination to being able to help and spar with any of the guy's at the gym. My fitness is better than most at the gym and I have good endurance. I am still not super quick and I still need to work allot on attack. My defense is pretty good. I get used as a workhorse at the gym due to many of these facts. When I started boxing I did it for the Fitness I never intended to get in the ring. However Allot of guy's at the gym have been asking me lately if I am going to have an Amateur Fight. I have never really considered it but from time to time I have thought It would be a good experience and thought it would be good to know what its like to pass the info onto new guy's in the gym.
The only thing concerning me is my age, I know 32 isn't old but it's way up there in terms of Am boxing. We don't have masters boxing in Australia so my window is closing. I would like to work towards it for next year.

What do you guy's think?
Some advice from older guy's who have done it would be great.
Thanks

DMC:boxing:

Hwann
03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Do it. You seem pretty skilled enough and you've been boxing for about a year so you should be fine. Also, if you don't then you might regret it later.

aussieboxer2320
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
do it!!!!!

sweet*science
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Well I dont quite fit the age requirement (21) but I'd say do it! I have been boxing roughly for six months and I am so glad I started. I wanted to just get into better shape. Instead of just going to the gym and lifting weights I wanted more of a challenge so I looked towards boxing. Now, I am training to eventually do some amateur fighting. I basically decided the day I climbed into the ring and went up against a guy in the gym who was well out of my weight class, way more skilled than me, 6-0 as an amateur and had just turned pro. I got the crap beat out of me but I was never knocked down and continued to press the attack. I figured if I could take it from this guy with all the odds against me I should be able to size up with guys in my weight class pretty well. You got one life to live so my advice is do it before you look back and have regrets for not doing it. Good luck!

Feint
03-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Absolutely give it a shot.

I'm 35 and the few regrets I have in my life aren't the things I failed at, it's the things I never tried.

yidish pugilist
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
win or lose you'll be able to say to your kids you were an ameteur boxer at some point in your life.

DMC
03-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the guy's who have offered advice.

I am going to make it my goal and see what happens.
If anyone else has anymore advice or stories I would like to hear them.

West24
03-05-2008, 01:09 AM
well i played basketball my whole life, but always wonderd if i would be any good at boxing. i grew up watching it with my grandfather and my family. and i knew id regret it if i never attempted it. so after i quit playing competitive basketball i started to box. im younger then you only being 21, but i knew i had to atleast try it. and i have my first fight on april 4th.

DMC
03-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Good luck West24, Let me know how you go.

West24
03-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Thanks alot!

THE REED™
03-05-2008, 01:59 AM
good luck west....

and GO FOR IT!

fraidycat
03-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Do it. I'm 37, been boxing for 2 years. Hope to have my first am bout (Master Division) this year. I've done 3 charity smokers, though, and destroyed my opponent in my last one (RTD.) My entire gym is telling me I'm ready. I think you'll never think you're ready (I'd like to train another five years first, myself), but when enough people tell you you're ready, you probably are.

A guy at my gym was 0-3 after 3 years of hard training and a year of amateur bouts, and I couldn't figure out if he was the most optimistic or the most insane guy I've ever met. But he just won his first bout. He's now 1-3 and you should see the grin he carries around right now.

Do it.

phallus
03-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Do it. I'm 37, been boxing for 2 years. Hope to have my first am bout (Master Division) this year. I've done 3 charity smokers, though, and destroyed my opponent in my last one (RTD.) My entire gym is telling me I'm ready. I think you'll never think you're ready (I'd like to train another five years first, myself), but when enough people tell you you're ready, you probably are.

A guy at my gym was 0-3 after 3 years of hard training and a year of amateur bouts, and I couldn't figure out if he was the most optimistic or the most insane guy I've ever met. But he just won his first bout. He's now 1-3 and you should see the grin he carries around right now.

Do it.

yeah, when u get in the ring u feel the rush, just like tom berenger says in Sniper...it feels great to win a fight, i'm over the age limit for the ams in canada ( where i live there's no masters div) but i wish i could fight one more time. i would do it again once more if i could... feel the rush

West24
03-05-2008, 02:30 AM
theres no age limit for amateurs in canada.....

phallus
03-05-2008, 02:37 AM
theres no age limit for amateurs in canada.....

yes there is, my local gym ( alberta ) kicks u out at 34

arnoldming
03-05-2008, 02:37 AM
there is age limit on other countries?

West24
03-05-2008, 02:39 AM
there is no age limit in canada, you can fight amateurs all you want, its just that if you win nationals, you cant compete internationaly if youre over 34.

phallus
03-05-2008, 02:56 AM
there is no age limit in canada, you can fight amateurs all you want, its just that if you win nationals, you cant compete internationaly if youre over 34.

****, i'm tempted to move to calgary if they follow those rules. in my town there's one boxing gym and they only want kids, i was told after 34 you're done. but that might also be because the coaches are rednecks

West24
03-05-2008, 03:08 AM
its not true, i just personally had a conversation with my coach about it like a week ago, and ive seen 40 year olds fight on an amateur card.

phallus
03-05-2008, 03:29 AM
its not true, i just personally had a conversation with my coach about it like a week ago, and ive seen 40 year olds fight on an amateur card.

cool, if i can move to another city i'll try for one more fight...i'm excited now

DMC
03-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks guy's for all the advice.

fraidycat, I have a few guys at the gym tell me I am ready as well.
I know I could do training for the next 5 years and still probably wont be happy.

I am going to talk to my trainer and see what he says and give it a shot.

Thanks again.

mgkirkpatrick
03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
dmc where in australia are you?

fraidycat
03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
cool, if i can move to another city i'll try for one more fight...i'm excited now

There are now 2 Master Boxers at my gym; 3, including me though I don't have an official am bout yet. Our Master Boxers go up to Vancouver and Victoria all the time for fights. The problem is, their opponents in Canada are usually under 35. We had a guy in his 40's matched with a 22-year old and he just got steamrollered; the kid boxed circles around him. I have no interest in that, personally.

There's a reason the Master Division states you have to be over 35 and no more than 10 years older/younger than your opponent; the same reason we fight in weights.

DMC
03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
mgkirkpatrick I am in Melbourne.

Where are you from?

dannyb84
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
if you think your ready go for it im only 23 but thinking about getting back in the ring as i havnt boxed since i was 16 but still its all about how you feel about it if you think you have what it takes then grab the chance with both hands