View Full Version : Sparring ?

n4kapa
03-04-2008, 07:07 AM
At my gym here in italy I noticed alot of sparring out of weight classes. Last friday my trainer put me in the ring with a guy about 9 inches shorter than me and probably 50 pounds lighter. He had alot more experiance but I threw a 1,2 combo in the first minute of sparring and the right connected flush on his cheek. he buckled over and went head first through the ropes and out of the ring. When he got up his eye was swollen up pretty bad and I felt bad cause the guy was alot smaller.

Just curious what other gyms do. this is the only gym I have ever been too and I'm really not sure if that is normal or not... putting 2 people from 2 different weight classes in the ring.

Salty
03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
It's normal, as the bigger guy though, with such an advantage, you should learn to pull your punches so this kind of thing doesn't happen. After all your there to help each other out not kill each other.

sterling
03-04-2008, 08:51 AM
yeh happened to me a few times i got banged by a light heavywieght in my first ever spar.

T-97
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
yeh happened to me a few times i got banged by a light heavywieght in my first ever spar.

I thought you didn't do proper sparring, or have you started now?

But yh, sparring isnt generally kept in weightclasses which i think is good, smaller guys are faster so you learn to handle speed and the bigger guys will over power you so you get used to taking hard shots. But you have to pull your punches agasint smaller guys cause it aint fair.

Domey
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I always spar with people heavier then me. I can take one hell of a punch, and I am much more experienced then anyone in the gym so I am usually taking it easier on the guys.

Sparring is just to get work done. You arnt in there to bang one another out. If you notice the guy is getting hurt by your punches as been said, try pulling them a bit. Throw with speed but no power. Touch them on the top of the headgear or on the side of the arm/elbows.

Of course if the other guy is in there trying to take your head off you need to let him know that you are working with him and touch him with a punch to keep him in check. A nice body shot will always slow someone down. If you hit them and notice them hurt, just back off or pitter/patter with them untill they get their cobwebs back.

Danster0507
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah we always spar with others regardless of weight class and I'm always the smalle guy but we have the speed advantage. Its great sparring bigger guys as I generally don'get hit by them and they pull their punches most the time, occassionally throwing good shot.

DA1CATAS
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Well yesterday I went against the state Champ of florida the weight class above me..(now that I've moved to 175) he was like 197 - 200... Being 175 and jus moving there I knew he'd be more powerful...

I whooped his A$$ bad... stick and move plus pivot and throwing more than 1 punch at a time was too much for him...

He thought his power would be too much.

So yea going against guys bigger or smaller than you is always good.

Don't underestimate that smaller guy though... he might catch you with a dumbass combo and make ya respect him.

THE REED™
03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
im about 185 5'9, and they put me in with the local heavyweight

5'10 - 240 LBS.....

i won 2/3 rounds - STICK AND MOVE

ill tell u this much.. if it went 4 rounds, he would knocked me out... i was dead tired at the end of the 3rd... I kept moving, cuz I was faster than him, but he kept coming non stop, it was tiring... Good experience though

RichCCFC
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I have only started boxing recently and I'm around 154 lbs, well built. I spar with a guy a year older than me, I have around 3 inches on him and he is around 115 lbs but in really great shape and has been going there for over 8 years. Needless to say, he kicks my ass at the moment! It is very good to spar with smaller guys because of their speed which I have gotten used to the last few sparing sessions I've had with him and I'm getting close to him in speed now.

I also spar with guys there who are around 210 lbs but that is only light sparring.

DA1CATAS
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I have only started boxing recently and I'm around 154 lbs, well built. I spar with a guy a year older than me, I have around 3 inches on him and he is around 115 lbs but in really great shape and has been going there for over 8 years. Needless to say, he kicks my ass at the moment! It is very good to spar with smaller guys because of their speed which I have gotten used to the last few sparing sessions I've had with him and I'm getting close to him in speed now.

Use your jab to control a faster guy... ALWAYS works...

but if they have good movement ya gotta work footwork into the equation to deal with their slipping and speed combined.

THE REED™
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Use your jab to control a faster guy... ALWAYS works...

but if they have good movement ya gotta work footwork into the equation to deal with their slipping and speed combined.

And also cut off the ring, to kill that movement...

West24
03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
we always spar with different weights. im usually the bigger guy (6'2, 197), so i take it easy on the lighter guys. i generally try to take a lot of steam of the head shots, but i wont pull as much on the body shots. but you always get those guys who may be lighter then you but are still trying to take your head off, then i sometimes will go pretty hard on them.

Kayo
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I spar all the time out of my weight class, its good it gets you a feel for different situation, and styles like a big man fighting big or a small man fighting small you get to learn how to try n deal with speed when working with the smaller guys and with the bigger guys you work on getting inside hitting then getting out.

sweet*science
03-04-2008, 10:55 PM
My gym has me spar with guys out of my weight class. Generally they are all larger. There is one pro fighter who I spar with before training. Me and him generally go 6 rounds starting out light and then really slugging it out. Sometimes we jump righty in to it. At first I was getting my ass handed to me every round. I mean Im 5'9'' 166-170 this guy stood about 6'3'' and had at least a solid 55 pounds on me. Maybe more. So his power was overwhelming. As I began to spar with him more regularly I noticed that if i stayed active meaning throwing jabs and double jabs to throw off his rhythm, being more evasive versus slipping punches I did a hell of a lot better. Still got my ass handed to me and bruises and cuts to show it but it was more of a challenge for him.

n4kapa
03-05-2008, 02:08 AM
well I didnt want to knock the guy like I did but he was very aggresive and trying to crack me with hard shots. When I threw the right that sent him out the ring he was coming in as well so he was screwed.

Over here in Italy there are 2 types of italians. ones who are scared of you cause your a big american and ones who aint scared of ****. The guys who aint scared of **** fight really hard against me trying to make a statment. I've never had a sparring session that I didnt feel was like a real fight. I know that aint right but thats how it is. The whole time I'm sparring all I hear is everyone yelling in italian telling the other guy what to do. I dont understand any of it. Kind of sucks. I look forward to training at an american gym with people I can understand.

Eshays!
03-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Im around 151 n i was sparring our gyms super heavy weight (whos a complete fuking physco) in a really small ring proberly arnd 5x5. As uses were recommending i was sticking and moving and using the jab, untill i cut his lip, which earnt me a clicking sound when i chew n loose cartlidge in the jaw. because the ring is so small theres not running, which didnt help with the weight difference issue. But it did earn me his respect :banana:

The super has one punch knockout power so i was just happy to be standing at the end of it. But i'd highly recommened not sparring to far out of your weight division just so you can keep it relalistic to who you'd be fighting & keeping the sparring as a mutually benefical thing so both ppl can work on things

dfwtx
03-08-2008, 12:14 PM
whatever you do dont wait on the person, try to beat them to the punch with a heavy workrate

aussieboxer2320
03-08-2008, 08:08 PM
sparring with bigger and older guys is very good for you. im 14 and i spar with a 15 year old who has about 3 stone on me, a 14/nearly 15 year old who has about 3 and a half stone on me and sometimes with a 12 year old whos the same weight as me but shorter. it teaches the smaller guy to be tougher and it teaches the big guy to be sharper

Eshays!
03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
sparring with bigger and older guys is very good for you. im 14 and i spar with a 15 year old who has about 3 stone on me, a 14/nearly 15 year old who has about 3 and a half stone on me and sometimes with a 12 year old whos the same weight as me but shorter. it teaches the smaller guy to be tougher and it teaches the big guy to be sharper
Where about in Aus you from lad?? Do you fight??