View Full Version : Strength Training

giantsbran1227
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
What are good strength training drills for boxers. Many people say that lifting weights is bad because it makes you slower so what exactley should i do.

oovavu
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Spinach. Lots of.

I don't really know most ppl will say high weight, low reps. Weights will only slow you down if you abuse them. ie, bulk up too much.

giantsbran1227
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I heard different. I heard use low weights and do alot of reps for boxers.

Also what does spinach do? I just bought baby spinach and on the nutrition facts it only shows the entire big bag to have only about 4g's of protein. SO what does it do

Trippmac
03-04-2008, 12:37 AM
If you want bulk, then it is low reps and heavier weights. For strength, you are correct. That being, high reps with a lighter weight.

Here is what spinach will do for you. It helps with muscle growth, it's a bone builder, promotes a healthy heart, and enhances eyesight. It is a rich source of plant-based omega-3s and folate, which helps reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and osteoporoisis. Spinach is also packed with lutein, a compound that fights age-related macular degeneration (blindness). Also, here is an added bonus of spinach. The folate in it, increases blood flow to the penis. I mean, why else would Olive Oil been all over Popeye!
Hope this helps, peace.

kryo
03-04-2008, 03:05 AM
If you want bulk, then it is low reps and heavier weights. For strength, you are correct. That being, high reps with a lighter weight.

Here is what spinach will do for you. It helps with muscle growth, it's a bone builder, promotes a healthy heart, and enhances eyesight. It is a rich source of plant-based omega-3s and folate, which helps reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and osteoporoisis. Spinach is also packed with lutein, a compound that fights age-related macular degeneration (blindness). Also, here is an added bonus of spinach. The folate in it, increases blood flow to the penis. I mean, why else would Olive Oil been all over Popeye!
Hope this helps, peace.

Wrong. :duh:

PunchDrunk
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM

Hope this helps, peace.

Lifting lighter weights makes you stronger? Geez, this place is crawling with idiots... :nonono:

hookoutofhell
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
iv hear the sme thing about lighter weights i guess when you do more sets and more reps you tire the muscle out more and therefore when it repairs it gets stronger but without adding too much mass.

i dont know if its true but alot of ppl seem to say the same thing
________
Mac Games (http://macgame.org)

Fidayin
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
iv hear the sme thing about lighter weights i guess when you do more sets and more reps you tire the muscle out more and therefore when it repairs it gets stronger but without adding too much mass.

unles u have a bulk diet u won't gain much mass , even if u do high weights low reps

DA1CATAS
03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Lifting lighter weights makes you stronger? Geez, this place is crawling with idiots... :nonono:

lol... that was jus amusing to read.

Whats been up Punch?

2swell k-wells
03-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Whats been up Punch?

howcome u look high on your av?

DA1CATAS
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
howcome u look high on your av?

Do I? Didn't know I did.

umm i dunno well i had just got finish working out maybe thats how i look when im tired...

lol..

2swell k-wells
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Do I? Didn't know I did.

umm i dunno well i had just got finish working out maybe thats how i look when im tired...

lol..

Ya man, look like ya gon pass out.

DA1CATAS
03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
maybe take a different one... get a shave .. im a lil bigger now though since im fightin 178

PunchDrunk
03-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Whats been up Punch?

Good to see you back. I'd love to see some of your fights, see how you've developed.

I've been busy training my fighters. One of my kids has his pro debut coming up on the 23rd, another is is fighting for the national team on the same show (it's a pro/am mix), the nationals are coming up here, next weekend, and I've just been to Norway for a tournament, and to Holland for a training camp. Busy! :)

PunchDrunk
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Next you're gonna tell us Santa Claus is real... :ugh:

sweet*science
03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Very amusing guys thanks for the humor.

giantsbran1227
03-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Continue your reunion somewhere else.

Can anyone else answer my question?

Mickey Gomez
03-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Try here http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166881

oovavu
03-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Continue your reunion somewhere else.

Can anyone else answer my question?

Try not being a dick it generally helps.

david220
03-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I've read through this whole thread and there is not one good response.

I read through the other thread quoted, and that too didn't answer the question?

Does anyone on this forum know how to box!?

To answer the original question:

Light weights and lot's of reps is relatively pointless: you'll gain the neccessary endurance from hitting a bag or rope skipping.

Lift all weights as explosively as possible.

Try and make one day of the week for maximum strength; don't do it much more as this can slow you down, add unneccessary bulk.

Do lot's of body weight excercises, and look up "complex training".

DA1CATAS
03-06-2008, 11:06 PM
*Raises hand slowing*

I might know a lil.. i'm no trainer though.

I only say what works for me when someones asks... though I didt really answer this question.. I just laughed at a statement posted by punch.

Rob Pilger
03-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Build a base of maximal strength using front squats, deadlifts, reverse hypers, pull throughs, lunges, zercher squats, chins, pull ups, bentover rows, seated rows, 1 arm cable pulls.

Then once you have a base add a speed/power day. 1 upper, 1 lower. Perform box jumps, plyo push ups, side med. ball tosses, etc.

Add some injury prevention work like face pulls, score crows, prone cobras.

Get strong, then explosive.

Rob Pilger
http://www.boxingperformance.com
http://www.theultimateboxingworkout.com/fighters.html