View Full Version : no carbs after a workout?

Journeyman
03-01-2008, 09:45 PM
sometimes i run/exercise late at night when i either

a: have a hard time falling asleep
b: feel really guilty about all the bs i ate earlier that day

so i might go for a run or shadowbox for a while. then i just drink a protein shake and goto sleep an hour or two later.

is this bad? do i really need carbs after a workout or if i ate enough carbs throughout the day, it would be ok?

thanks for any advice/info.

danny stash
03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
you dont need any carbs bud...Its ok to fell guilty and keep yourself in check just dont beat yourself up to much. Life can be hard enough without a guilty conscience for really minor things.

A protein shake b4 bed is the shizznit.

PS: the best kind is casein protein as it breaks down slower than whey. It can be bought in powder form or a cup of cottage cheese is great too.

BrooklynBomber
03-02-2008, 12:31 AM
You can eat good amount of carbs, before, during and right after workout.

danny stash
03-02-2008, 12:45 AM
You can eat good amount of carbs, before, during and right after workout.
Why are you telling him this? Carbs b4 bed is a no no if you aare trying to stay in shape

giantsbran1227
03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Co-sign. One should not be eating carbs after 7 PM. I usually have a no carb whey protein shake before bed. Thats what i would recommend.

Fidayin
03-02-2008, 03:01 PM
i drink a protein shake to before i go to bed, but i drink it with water instead of milk.

BrooklynBomber
03-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Why are you telling him this? Carbs b4 bed is a no no if you aare trying to stay in shape

Actually carbs before sleep are good, when administred with good amount of casein protein. Very good to build muscle

I am obviously thinking of good carbs.

danny stash
03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Actually carbs before sleep are good, when administred with good amount of casein protein. Very good to build muscle

I am obviously thinking of good carbs.
Their is alot of evidence to support the contrary but agree to disagree bud.

tyson
03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Banana is optimal right after workout. Whey protein is recommended by Mackie Shilstone, who trained Roy Jones and Hopkins when they moved up.

So yes, it's ok to eat some carbs after training, but probably not adviceable before bedtime.

Super_Lightweight
03-02-2008, 11:02 PM
You just need to get the optimal amount of carbs daily, at least, whether or not that comes late at night or whatever.

If you are a hard training athlete (serious boxer) then you want about 3-4 carbs per pound of body weight. I am 150 lbs, and ideally, if training really hard for a fight, I should get 450 carbs a dayat least. Of course that is difficult. And, you would only eat that many carbs on hard training days...not just because you jogged 30 mins.

Carbs are necessary. And I'm sure everyone has told you to eat the healthy carbs...wheat spaghetti, bran muffins and so on.

Detroit101
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
spaghetti and muffins are not good sources of carbs.........

a small amount of simple sugars after a workout is necessary to replace glycogen levels....glycogen is the food your muscles use for energy....your body needs to have carbohydrates for energy period.

Having a no carb diet is a very terrible choice for your overall health.....

limit the amount of carbs you eat after 5 or 6 pm if you are concerned about weight. There are plenty of healthy ways to lose weight other than eliminating carbs...

giantsbran1227
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Carbs are not bad at all just dont eat them past 6-7PM

Also no white bread or flour. Eat all whole grain.

Super_Lightweight
03-04-2008, 04:06 PM
spaghetti and muffins are not good sources of carbs.........

Bran muffins and wheat spaghetti are great, healthy carb sources.

Detroit101
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Bran muffins and wheat spaghetti are great, healthy carb sources.

your correct, wheat or multi-grain spaghetti are good...but not enriched flour spaghetti, those ****e your insulin faster than candy......

Most muffins are loaded with MSG, trans fat and are made with highly processed flour.......msg and partially hydrogenated oils ( trans Fats ) extend shelf life and are found in most baked goods...

I would go with a 12 grain bagel instead of a muffin...

Journeyman
03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
thanks for all the replies yall.

BrooklynBomber
03-05-2008, 09:36 AM
The logic behind comsuming of carbs is very simple, the more carbs(and I am talking good carbs here) you will eat the harder you will work in the gym, the harder you will work in the gym the better your metabolism is going to be and more fat you are going to burn

Detroit101
03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
The logic behind comsuming of carbs is very simple, the more carbs(and I am talking good carbs here) you will eat the harder you will work in the gym, the harder you will work in the gym the better your metabolism is going to be and more fat you are going to burn

I agree......do you ever notice if you eat oatmeal in the morning say at 7:30am...and suddenly you are starving at 10:30? that is an example of how complex carbs take longer to break down and give you sustained energy....it definitely elevates your metabolism......eating right will teach your body to use food as a fuel immediately and not store it as fat.......

The whole idea is to avoid insulin surges which cause your body to store fat in the first place......

ForemanCrossArm
03-05-2008, 02:02 PM
i'm going low carb but thats only to drop fat from being a slacker for 2 months.. in the morning i'll just chomp down a big bowl of kashi cinnamon wheat with skim milk and then go light/no-carb the rest of the day. i think all-natural whole grains are the way to go, take longer to break down so you get more out of it over the course of the day than something else.

RonnieCOleman
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
you should be eating a fair amount of complex carbs along with protein 40-60 min after a workout, and especially after a weight training session in order to promote muscle recovery, & growth. You might as well not even work out if your not going to get proper post-workout nutrition, since that's the most important meal of the day aside from breakfast.

Thread Stealer
03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Your post work-out meal is pretty important.

You should have a good mix of protein and carbs.

After workout is also when you can have "bad carbs" (white rice, white bread), instead of "good carbs" (brown rice, wheat bread).

Domain
03-05-2008, 06:47 PM
WTF? you better eat some simple carbs after workout! thats when your body needs them the most! after a workout with protien

learn about nutrition

branagan
03-05-2008, 07:47 PM
if your looking to stay in shape, avoid carbs before your run, try to eat 2 hrs before your run, that way you dip into your fat stores for energy and obviously burn some fat.

ForemanCrossArm
03-05-2008, 07:49 PM
You can have a small, simple carb 45-30 minutes before your run and it'll boost your energy levels during it.. food is absorbed 30-1hour..

BrooklynBomber
03-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Your post work-out meal is pretty important.

You should have a good mix of protein and carbs.

After workout is also when you can have "bad carbs" (white rice, white bread), instead of "good carbs" (brown rice, wheat bread).

For an insulin ****e