View Full Version : Cold

sukhenkoy
02-27-2008, 12:13 PM
I know this has been asked before (just recently), but my situation is a bit different.

I have a cold right now, and have had it for about 4 days already. It is slowly getting better as I am taking medicine for it, but I am wondering whether I should go to the boxing gym tonight.

If I do go, there is no chance that I will just "take it easy", as I am the type of person that either goes all-out, or doesn't go at all. I didn't go to the gym on Monday because I wanted my cold to get better, and it has. Tomorrow is not a gym day for me, so the next day I would go is Friday.

Last time I trained with a cold at the gym, it lasted for over 2 weeks. What do you all suggest?

oaklandstephen
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
id just go if i were u

sukhenkoy
02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
How come? I want to go, but I also don't want my cold to last for over 2 weeks like last time. That's the main reason I am skeptical.

oaklandstephen
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
well if u wanna be good at boxing and reach the top u gotta to suffer and sacrafice alot.

msagrain
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
FFS MAN, use your commen sense!

VBoxer
02-27-2008, 02:43 PM
right now im in the same situation. i have a sinus infection and a cold. dont push yourself and go to the gym. drink plenty of fluids and get your body back to 100%. i know its hard and depressing taking time off, but you need to worry about health first.

sukhenkoy
02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
right now im in the same situation. i have a sinus infection and a cold. dont push yourself and go to the gym. drink plenty of fluids and get your body back to 100%. i know its hard and depressing taking time off, but you need to worry about health first.

Yeah. I called my trainer and he told me to stay home and get healthy as quick as I can. It sure is damn depressing taking a day off. Congratulations on your first fight by the way man! Well done! :boxing:

VBoxer
02-27-2008, 03:07 PM
thanks brother.

Count Patron
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
well if u wanna be good at boxing and reach the top u gotta to suffer and sacrafice alot.

Bad advice. When you are sick stay home and rest. You will just take longer to heal and your training will suffer more.

sukhenkoy
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Bad advice. When you are sick stay home and rest. You will just take longer to heal and your training will suffer more.
Yeah like I said in my post, last time I was sick and continued to go to the gym, it took me over 2 weeks for the cold and sinus to go away. Just like most of the people here, taking that one day off in the week can be so depressing when you're used to training 7 days a week. But I guess it's better to rest one day than to feel like **** for over 14...

Count Patron
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah like I said in my post, last time I was sick and continued to go to the gym, it took me over 2 weeks for the cold and sinus to go away. Just like most of the people here, taking that one day off in the week can be so depressing when you're used to training 7 days a week. But I guess it's better to rest one day than to feel like **** for over 14...

Training 7 days a week is probably why you got sick in the first place imo. I really recommend 5 days a week training. I train hard M, T, Th, Fri and go semi light on Wed. Saturday I take off and then Sunday I do something fun, cardiovascular and outdoors... like I normally go for a nice long hike through the mountains. It is important that you get rest both mentally or physically because when your body doesn't get that your immune system goes down and you catch a cold.

oaklandstephen
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
id just go if i were u

sorry, i didnt know that made it worse. ive done it acouple times and didnt get any worse but i guess it just depends how sick u r.

sukhenkoy
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Training 7 days a week is probably why you got sick in the first place imo. I really recommend 5 days a week training. I train hard M, T, Th, Fri and go semi light on Wed. Saturday I take off and then Sunday I do something fun, cardiovascular and outdoors... like I normally go for a nice long hike through the mountains. It is important that you get rest both mentally or physically because when your body doesn't get that your immune system goes down and you catch a cold.

Well I progressed to training 7 days a week, so I am fairly used to it. 4 of the days I go to the gym, and train hard there. 2 of the days I do swimming, ab work, and pushups + pullups. And sunday is a fairly light day, with only ab work and 1-handed pushups. Saturday I basically have the whole day off after the boxing training early in the morning, so I get a good amount of rest. In any case, thanks for the advice man. I appreciate it. :boxing:

Kayo
02-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Stay at home, dont be the guy who tries to train while sick and ends up getting sicker while spreading it throughout the gym

sukhenkoy
02-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Any remedies you guys have to make it go away quicker? I went down to the gym today and my trainer told me to go home because I don't look 100%. I can't stand staying away from the gym for this long and I am determined to be back to 100% by Monday. My trainer told me to drink a lot of tea with honey and lemon, as well as regular water with about 10 drops of lemon in it.

Also, is it ok if I do exercises at home, and then stay at home afterwards. My trainer told me that the biggest problem with me training would be that I would have to step out into the cold immediately after I was done (and sweaty), so the cold would ultimately end up hitting me again. At home, I would end up sweating as much, but I wouldn't be going out into the cold. I just can't get my body to not do anything for more than one day - I need to be moving.

I really need your suggestions here and if you want to just be a smartass, please don't post at all. Hopefully all of you that have boxed for a while know what I'm feeling, and can offer something to help me get back to it as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Count Patron
02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Any remedies you guys have to make it go away quicker? I went down to the gym today and my trainer told me to go home because I don't look 100%. I can't stand staying away from the gym for this long and I am determined to be back to 100% by Monday. My trainer told me to drink a lot of tea with honey and lemon, as well as regular water with about 10 drops of lemon in it.

Also, is it ok if I do exercises at home, and then stay at home afterwards. My trainer told me that the biggest problem with me training would be that I would have to step out into the cold immediately after I was done (and sweaty), so the cold would ultimately end up hitting me again. At home, I would end up sweating as much, but I wouldn't be going out into the cold. I just can't get my body to not do anything for more than one day - I need to be moving.

I really need your suggestions here and if you want to just be a smartass, please don't post at all. Hopefully all of you that have boxed for a while know what I'm feeling, and can offer something to help me get back to it as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Drink tea and relax. Do not train or do anything like that.

sukhenkoy
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Drink tea and relax. Do not train or do anything like that.

Do you think I will be OK for Monday though, if I just drink a lot of tea and not do anything today, tomorrow, and Sunday? Because if I will, I will go for it, but, if not, I just have to train at home.

Count Patron
02-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Do you think I will be OK for Monday though, if I just drink a lot of tea and not do anything today, tomorrow, and Sunday? Because if I will, I will go for it, but, if not, I just have to train at home.

Do whatever you want. Multiple people have told you in this thread that training is the wrong response to being sick. You may or may not be better by Monday, but you have a better chance at being better if you just chill.

sukhenkoy
02-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Do whatever you want. Multiple people have told you in this thread that training is the wrong response to being sick. You may or may not be better by Monday, but you have a better chance at being better if you just chill.

OK man. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Mickey Gomez
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Bro I had the flu last week, I went to training, I trained as hard as possible, I wore a hoody the whole time and sweated like a blind lesbian in a fish shop.

The next day my flu was almost gone.

Mickey Gomez
02-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Don't ever drink tea man! Tea dehydrates you, double your intake of Vitamin C (citrus fruits, orange juice). I presume you're already taking vitamins? If you're not you should be.

Eat well, it's hard to eat when you have a cold, the virus makes the body think it's not hungry in order to do infect the host for longer. Eat, even if you don't feel like it.

Always stay warm, it's better to be hot than cold. Even if you're very hot don't wear anything less than a jumper or a hoody.

You can train, just make sure your hydrate yourself sufficiently before going to the gym. And as I mentioned wear an extra layer.

Count Patron
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Don't ever drink tea man! Tea dehydrates you.

Bro I had the flu last week, I went to training, I trained as hard as possible, I wore a hoody the whole time and sweated like a blind lesbian in a fish shop.

The next day my flu was almost gone.

You are a fountain of bad information.

Mickey Gomez
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Bad information?

So tea hydrates you?

And you're saying my flu didn't improve the day after training?

Count Patron
02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Bad information?

So tea hydrates you?

And you're saying my flu didn't improve the day after training?

Yes, tea hydrates you. It is also packed with antioxidants and vitamins.

http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/2396/

Are you familiar with what a non sequitur is? That is what your story about you getting better after working out. One day I was sick and I put on my favorite socks, and the next morning I felt better... it's a coincidence. Training while sick or injured is a bad idea and will just make you more sick.

Mickey Gomez
02-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes I am familiar with the term, the explanation was not necessary.

Are you familiar with the difference between "information" and "advice"?

If basing your answer on liquid content then yes tea can hydrate you however tea contains caffeine and caffeine is diuretic, meaning it dehydrates you. Caffeine can also lead to increased and irregular heart rhythms. People serious about their training do not include caffeine in their diet.

And as for training while being sick, if you have light symptoms like runny nose etc that shouldn't stop you from training. I'm not saying you should train if you have a serious illness or severe influenza, but a common cold would never stop me from training.

Count Patron
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
If basing your answer on liquid content then yes tea can hydrate you however tea contains caffeine and caffeine is diuretic, meaning it dehydrates you. Caffeine can also lead to increased and irregular heart rhythms. People serious about their training do not include caffeine in their diet.

Did you read the study I provided?

Mickey Gomez
02-29-2008, 09:42 PM
haha You talk as if you conducted the study yourself.

Yeah I read it, still doesn't take away from the fact caffeine is bad for you and should not be consumed by anyone who takes their sport serious.

Count Patron
02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
haha You talk as if you conducted the study yourself.

Yeah I read it, still doesn't take away from the fact caffeine is bad for you and should not be consumed by anyone who takes their sport serious.

Soooo you either didn't read it or didn't understand it. Thank you for your posts.

Mickey Gomez
02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
I both read and understood. You're welcome.