View Full Version : Good Southpaws to study?

pigdestroyer
02-26-2008, 10:07 AM
What are some good southpaws to study? I am just starting out in the gym (as well as boxing) and am a southpaw. I'd like to know some good southpaws I can watch and see what they do against orthodox and other southpaws. Any tips or anything would be useful.

oaklandstephen
02-26-2008, 11:11 AM
pernell whitaker, zab judah, marvin hagler, i guess naseem hamed. theres alot more.

alexisallmighty
02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
pernell whitaker, zab judah, marvin hagler, i guess naseem hamed. theres alot more.

sweet pea, winky wright, cristian mijares are some of the best technician southpaws you'll ever see, so i sugest you try to watch 'em so you don't start making all those bad judah's or hamed's and so you have the basics first and from then on start developing your own style:boxing:

RichCCFC
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Joe Calzaghe, Chad Dawson, Zab Judah, Pernell Whitaker, Manny Pacquiao etc.. Depends how big you are and what style you got.

pigdestroyer
02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Meh. Like I said I'm just getting into it, so everything is still shaping. I'm mainly studying their defensive techniques towards orthodox and other southpaws. I suppose I won't be aggresively punching in offense until I'm comfortable with my own defense.

BTW: H: 6'0" W: 185 lbs. I CAN be very quick, but stamina at the moment isn't all that great so I don't plan on studying Judah anytime soon.

boxingsmash69
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
naseem hamed??? u might want to watch hamed's videos on youtube first, before thinking about studying that guy.

wright, whitaker, and hagler are all great southpaws

Fidayin
02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
chris byrd , most people don't like his style but if u have half his defensive skills ur on ur way to a title.

oaklandstephen
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
if u want to study a guy with good defense u should seriously study pernell whitaker

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G5v_PNsl4Q&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G5v_PNsl4Q&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ophqui
02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
winky for his amazing defense and his great use of the southpaw jab, sweetpea for his head movement, skills etc. . . and zab judah cos hes wicked exciting to watch =)

Karlos81
02-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Winky is standard tricky straight up boxer.

Hamed is awkward as they come

Calzaghe is unique as he has the best footwork ive ever seen.

RichCCFC
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Winky if you're defensive with good speed.