View Full Version : What should be my "in shape" weight?

Setanta
02-25-2008, 02:32 AM
I walk around at 150lbs and thats with bad eating habits and the like, but do any of you guys know if I got in a diet how far I could come down? I was guessing 140lbs, but im not so sure.

adidasteve
02-25-2008, 02:34 AM
133 sounds like fighting shape... remember theres a difference between in shape and fighting shape... u obviously wanna be in fight shape

Setanta
02-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Yeah, because I got an ugly ass pot belly but i can feel my 6 pack under but it is in no way visible. I definately want to be in fight shape, but I don't want to be walking around drained and tired because of my shape. So yeah I will try to come down to about 135lbs.

black.ink
02-25-2008, 09:34 AM
How tall are you?

Setanta
02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
ABout 6' 1''

Rane-Ex54
02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
ABout 6' 1''

damn how do you have a pot belly and be 6'1, 150?

potatoes
02-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I walk around at 150lbs and thats with bad eating habits and the like, but do any of you guys know if I got in a diet how far I could come down? I was guessing 140lbs, but im not so sure.

Go out and get in shape, then you will know for sure.

black.ink
02-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Being 6'1", i'd say you wanna be aiming for about 145lbs.
Try cardio, but eat well. Running 3 times a week for about 30 mins a session with ab workouts will see the gut go. But remember, you gotta eat well balanced meals too.

Also, do you do much weights? I'm just thinking your quite tall, but you don't weigh much. If i was you, i'd aim to be a healthy 155-160lbs.

I'm only 5'8'' but weigh about 138lbs. I've still got a year or 2 in growth, but i'm aiming to be about 145-150 in the next couple years.

Migs
02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
ABout 6' 1''

Are you talking 135 without dehyrdrating? Dude if you're 6'1 and you get down to 135 you're skin and bones. At that point a body shot would probably cause a kidney to fail. I'm 5'11 and I weigh about 180 and I have a little fat around my stomach but can still make my abs out. I'm ideally trying to get down to 168. My doctor said a healthy weight for a male that is 6ft is around 175lbs. Cutting another 7lbs would be alright and you would still look cut. I just can't imagine you having any energy whatsoever at the weight with that size frame. Again this is based on what you walk around at though, not after dehyrdrating, but still.

P4PKING_2008
02-25-2008, 02:46 PM
What is your body type?

Setanta
02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Im skinny and have Erik Morales-type wrists, lol.

Domey
02-25-2008, 07:57 PM
If you are at 150 now and out of shape. You will cut fat and weight no doubt. But you need to also keep in mind that you are going to be putting on muscle. Muscle weighs more then fat. You will probally land somewhere in the low to mid 140s. Getting down to 133 would be damn near impossible and you would be totally drained, dehydrated, and having some serious mal-nutrition going on.. Specially being 6'1

Now if you were just running, and doing nothing but cardio, MAYBE you could hit low to mid 130's, because you wouldnt be putting on much muscle.

Aim for 145, and then go from there. Most likely you'll drop a few pounds pretty fast. Then you'll notice it is going slower due to you building up muscle.

Setanta
02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Usually when I cut down on the Coke drinking, chips, and the such I easily reach 147lbs, but I wanted to know around at what weight I would be on a full blown diet. But I appreciate of you guys help. Green K your way.

fraidycat
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Dude, just get in shape and let your body do what it's going to do.

There's no way to know what your ideal weight is until you have a few fights at different weights and see where you're comfortable.

I'm 5'9". I started boxing fitness at 205, started boxing training around 190, and figured my ideal weight would be around 180. Well, I kept losing weight the more I trained. I fought my first fight at 168, my second at 175 (started lifting more and eating more), and my third at 164. I did well in the first two, but I won my middleweight fight by RTD and the fight was a breeze, compared to fighting at LH.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/Fraid_E_cat/transformation1.jpg

(L) The day I started boxing .............. (R) The morning after my most recent fight.

At middleweight I'm still shorter than most of my opponents, so my infighter / swarmer style still works, but the punches I have to take on the way in are far less traumatic from a 160-lb. guy than they are from a 178-lb guy. There is a world of difference between weight classes.

Just train and don't worry. Yet.

Darkstranger
02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Like Fraidy says, I wouldn't worry too much about it, just train hard and get fit and see what your body does.

Good Luck

:boxing:

gym jones
02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
im 165 6'1 when i started training i was 154 if i fight at 165 would it be a disadvantage?

Mickey Gomez
02-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Your in-shape weight is the weight you are when you're in shape.

i.e. get in shape then worry about putting on or losing pounds.

Banderivets
02-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Everyones body is different...but it also depends on what your defenition of shape is.

I've been in shape at 210, 205 and now my lowest 200 (Im 6' 1/2") I cant fold any fat on my stomach standing up...but for example at 210 my face looked fat even though I was OK elsewere...

People have different body structures...and the differences can be night and day.

You might be 6'1" but have skinny legs and narrow sholders...

And it depends on your age aswel....When I was 16 I weighed 160 although I already 6 feet tall.

potatoes
02-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Dude, just get in shape and let your body do what it's going to do.

There's no way to know what your ideal weight is until you have a few fights at different weights and see where you're comfortable.

I'm 5'9". I started boxing fitness at 205, started boxing training around 190, and figured my ideal weight would be around 180. Well, I kept losing weight the more I trained. I fought my first fight at 168, my second at 175 (started lifting more and eating more), and my third at 164. I did well in the first two, but I won my middleweight fight by RTD and the fight was a breeze, compared to fighting at LH.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/Fraid_E_cat/transformation1.jpg

(L) The day I started boxing .............. (R) The morning after my most recent fight.

At middleweight I'm still shorter than most of my opponents, so my infighter / swarmer style still works, but the punches I have to take on the way in are far less traumatic from a 160-lb. guy than they are from a 178-lb guy. There is a world of difference between weight classes.

Just train and don't worry. Yet.

Wow, what a transformation! You went from looking like Alexander Povetkin to looking like Mike Tyson. Now if you can only learn to move like Mike Tyson you won't get hit as frequently as Alexander Povetkin. When it comes to getting hit, size does indeed make a difference.

I see that you are also photogenic. Maybe you should consider turning pro. If you can get knockouts a guy that looks like you can make a lot of money in boxing.

alexisallmighty
03-01-2008, 12:42 AM
i'm 21, 5'9 and i weight 132 lbs... and i drink a lot of coke and don't eat that much but don't eat that well also... i kinda sparr with my bro (17, 5'8, 170lbs) just for the fun of it, but i don't know which should be my proper weight... so if anyone can help me figure it out please... or give some pointers on how to make my in shape weight cause i wanna have cool abs and arms without having to gain weight!! thank you all!!:D... for the record 3 years ago i used to played in highschool high level competitions(basketball) and i weighed about 118, but i got a little wider from the chest

fraidycat
03-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Maybe you should consider turning pro.

If I'd taken up this sport at 15 instead of 35, maybe. At 37, I'm way too old to do this as anything more than a hobby. I want to fight in the Master Division at Golden Gloves or maybe Ringside before I'm 40.

batista
03-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Stop ****ing worryin about weight. Train as hard as possible, eat right and your body will take care of itself. Don't do any of this starving bull****. Jut get in there and fight your heart out, regarldess of weight.

potatoes
03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
If I'd taken up this sport at 15 instead of 35, maybe. At 37, I'm way too old to do this as anything more than a hobby. I want to fight in the Master Division at Golden Gloves or maybe Ringside before I'm 40.

Amateur fights aren't necessarily any easier than professional because in the pros most fights are custom made. If you can get knockouts in one venue, you can get them in the other.