View Full Version : working the heavy bag

Samuel F.
02-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Hello, all. Been awhile since i've trained and can't really go back the gym until summer. I was hoping I could work on a few things while im waiting to go back though. I haven't even so much as slapped the bag in six months and it felt awkward hitting it, so this help is really appreciated. Also, sorry its so short but I didn't feel like doing much, and i'm out of shape. heh. I'll make a longer one later! So tips, correction, etc. please.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2it1kes&s=3

EDIT: New vid 3/25/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBYs0w1LU4

Count Patron
02-23-2008, 10:11 PM
The most problematic thing I saw is when you throw the left straight you raise your chin up. When you throw hooks you turn your face and do not protect yourself.

Any reason you never go to the body?

Good job, good breathing.

Samuel F.
02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
The most problematic thing I saw is when you throw the left straight you raise your chin up. When you throw hooks you turn your face and do not protect yourself. Thanks, thats what im looking for and i'll work on it. Am I telegraphing my hooks at all?

Any reason you never go to the body? I just didn't think about I guess. Also, the bag is kind of hard in the middle and the gloves are thin.

Count Patron
02-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks, thats what im looking for and i'll work on it. Am I telegraphing my hooks at all?

I just didn't think about I guess. Also, the bag is kind of hard in the middle and the gloves are thin.

Not that I could see from the side. You look like you have pretty good speed so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try to protect yourself better, more control on the hooks so your head doesn't turn as much... because a turned head leaves your ear, jaw, temple open for a nasty counter.

Pretty much all bags are going to have a hard midsection, all the padding gets knocked down from where everyone punches it above. I normally use 12oz gloves when I am hitting the heavy bag and I am OK.

(You look like the contender from Mike Tyson's punch out)

Samuel F.
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Not that I could see from the side. You look like you have pretty good speed so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try to protect yourself better, more control on the hooks so your head doesn't turn as much... because a turned head leaves your ear, jaw, temple open for a nasty counter. Gotcha and will do.

Pretty much all bags are going to have a hard midsection, all the padding gets knocked down from where everyone punches it above. I normally use 12oz gloves when I am hitting the heavy bag and I am OK. My gloves are 4 oz, so getting new ones soon.

(You look like the contender from Mike Tyson's punch out) Sweet.

jessesmit
02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Hello, all. Been awhile since i've trained and can't really go back the gym until summer. I was hoping I could work on a few things while im waiting to go back though. I haven't even so much as slapped the bag in six months and it felt awkward hitting it, so this help is really appreciated. Also, sorry its so short but I didn't feel like doing much, and i'm out of shape. heh. I'll make a longer one later! So tips, correction, etc. please.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2it1kes&s=3
call that a heavy bag it swings with one punch:O

DutchDynamite
02-24-2008, 08:22 PM
call that a heavy bag it swings with one punch:O

I didn't want to offend him but now you said it...

But i like your style, well done :)

Basim
02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I thought you were hitting a pillow for a moment. decent jabs... work on your foot rhyem i'd say.

Samuel F.
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the compliments. As for the comments on the bag, I hadn't hit it in so long that I actually grew a good bit and i'm hitting the bag at the very top. I raised it up earlier and in the next video you'll notice a lot less swaying.

I thought you were hitting a pillow for a moment. decent jabs... work on your foot rhyem i'd say.
What do you mean by foot rhythm?

Count Patron
02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments. As for the comments on the bag, I hadn't hit it in so long that I actually grew a good bit and i'm hitting the bag at the very top. I raised it up earlier and in the next video you'll notice a lot less swaying.

What do you mean by foot rhythm?

Don't listen to the noobies, a swaying heavy bag isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can work on your movement on a swaying bag and it causes you to reset before throwing your punches... any fool can hit something that doesn't move.

Samuel F.
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Makes sense. Again, thanks for the help. :D

SryNoAutographs
02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I thought that was pretty good actually. As mentioned in previous post I saw your chin go up a few times, watch out for that.

kryo
02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Don't listen to the noobies, a swaying heavy bag isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can work on your movement on a swaying bag and it causes you to reset before throwing your punches... any fool can hit something that doesn't move.

If you think that video was any good, you're a ****ing scrub. Don't call people 'noobies' (which is just queer as **** anyway) if you are one yourself.

Bring your jab all the way back before you throw it.
You are throwing your hook so far out it's rediculous.
Get more space so you can move around the bag.
TAKE YOUR TIME. You looked like you were on crack.

Count Patron
02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
If you think that video was any good, you're a ****ing scrub. Don't call people 'noobies' (which is just queer as **** anyway) if you are one yourself.

Awwww did I hurt someone's feelings? Let me send you an e-hug. :grouphug:

He isn't a world contender but his bag work is indicative of an amateur fighter.

How long does it normally take to get up on your high horse?

DutchDynamite
02-25-2008, 10:20 PM

well any fool can hit a swinging heavy bag, try a floor to ceiling ball to work on...

Count Patron
02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
well any fool can hit a swinging heavy bag, try a floor to ceiling ball to work on...

True, every bag has it's benefits and pitfalls.

Domey
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM

:smashfrea AKA a double-end bag? =)

If you want critique, I'll do my best ..

When you jab, you are bringing it back low. Not to mention sometimes when you jab you are raising your elbow to high. I cant see good from the angle but the way your left hand is held almost looks like it is floating, which can lead to a very nasty body shot.

Along with bringing your jab back low, you are doing it as well with your straight left.

You're very squared up, and as a southpaw you'll eat tons of lead rights to the body.

When you are throwing your hook, you are very far away from the bag, and it is extreemly wide. Get closer and tighten your punches up.

If you are trying to work on your technique, then try working on that. You don't have to hit the bag with everything you have. Basically when you are working it, just keep asking yourself questions...

"Where are my hands? When I throw x punch, where is my chin? Am I bringing my jab back or dropping it?"

You get the idea.

rj_ct
02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
:smashfrea AKA a double-end bag? =)

they're the same thing. people in different areas call them different things. same bag.

this dude is PISSED

Domey
02-25-2008, 11:15 PM
they're the same thing. people in different areas call them different things. same bag.

I realize that. Hence why I said "AKA"... Also Known As

It was also a joke =)

jessesmit
02-26-2008, 02:52 AM
hey, dude... IM NOT SAYING ITS A BAD THING!!! it's fine ... i just thought that it wasn't a heavy bag.. and now ur talking like if you practise on the heavybag u got no technique or anything.

Samuel F.
02-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Wow. Quite a lot more replies over night. Thanks for all the tips, i'll defintely be working on them. I'll just go straight out and ask it though. What's "squared up"?

Domey
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Squared up is when your body is more facing your oponnent. You want to be able to see your jab shoulder(Your right in this case) out of the corner of your eye.

Samuel F.
03-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Been working on a few things. I still have a some problems, like bringing my fist to my hip when I throw a hook. Working on it though. Again suggestions, hints, critique please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBYs0w1LU4

PeekaBooPooch
03-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Hey people chill, all the guy wants is some advice on his skills or technique, he wants to hear it so he can work on it.Dont act like he is useless , that is useless!
Give the man some tips!:boxing:

PeekaBooPooch
03-26-2008, 04:14 AM
hey man, thats a lot more like it!

The only thing i can see at the moment is, when you are throwing your left, your chin and head lean backwards, and when you jab, think of your elbow to the body, or in that area, when you return!
Try to move round the bag as far as possible!

Good job man, and i got to say, you have a lot of guts , asking honestly and showing it on the internet, that says somethin...i think .

Good job!:boxing:

sctroderick
03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Sam, i can't get to the gym for a couple months yet so i've been doing as much as i can at home. You should try and sucker a friend into working out with you....its tres more fun/harder.

A sweet way to work the bag is go in for 10 seconds and throw as many punches/combos as you can...back off..let a partner go and do the same thing(or just wait another 10 seconds) And keep going for 3 minutes at a time....check it out!

sterling
03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.everlast.com/canvas-camo-heavy-bag.html
Thats what he was hitting a 70lb bag :/ so it is like hitting a pillow lol.

Samuel F.
03-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks to those who posted. Still working on getting rid of those bad habits. More advice is appreciated.

http://www.everlast.com/canvas-camo-heavy-bag.html
Thats what he was hitting a 70lb bag :/ so it is like hitting a pillow lol.

Sort of. What they really mean by "blended filler for excellent shock absorbency and results" is "sand". Making the bottom half very hard.

makaveli_uk
03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
IDK if im right because I cant see it all that well, but are you lifting your back foot off the floor when you jab? if you are you wanna keep em on the floor. if you have to you can always shuffle in before jabbing if your too far away

Samuel F.
03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
IDK if im right because I cant see it all that well, but are you lifting your back foot off the floor when you jab? if you are you wanna keep em on the floor. if you have to you can always shuffle in before jabbing if your too far away

I'm simulating sort of what I (think) I would do in real match. I am a fairly stocky guy and i'll probably be fighting guys much taller than me. So I stay out of range then step inside quickly with a jab and work.

rj_ct
03-29-2008, 01:13 PM
you look like you have a lot of natural power and good hand speed. you looked a lot better in the 2nd video. keep it up man.

Horus
04-03-2008, 07:42 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrBYs0w1LU4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrBYs0w1LU4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

THIS VIDEO IS TERRIBLE....

:boxing: BTW I stay in Cali....
So if you Stay out here we can get a Spar Session
200 dollar Bet.... I am put you on your Ass..

Samuel F.
04-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Whoa big man. Calm down, you might do something you'll regret getting so butt hurt over some bad K. I live Louisiana so that wouldn't really work out. Also, i'm 132 and 15 years old.