View Full Version : beginner sparring

gym jones
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
im 19 i just started boxing and i been going to the gym for about 4 months 2 days a week for two hours and i wanted to know if i should ask the trainer if i can spar or will he tell me when im ready

kenny91
02-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Well it's not down to the trainer really. But i suppose you could ask him for an opinion.

If you feel ready, go for it dude and dont see it as a competitive spar but a educational spar. Take as much out of it as you can and try and use what you've learnt in training. You will benefit from it at the end of the day; you would've got the pressure of your first spar out of the way, you'd have tested yourself on what you've been doing in training AND probably most importantly you'll know the kind of fighter you are and whats your strengths and weaknesses.

Anyways mate hope it goes well and i wish ya the best of luck :)
Let us know how ya get on when you do fight, ye ?

laters matey ;)

gym jones
02-19-2008, 06:43 PM
safe for the reply

T-97
02-19-2008, 06:49 PM
safe for the reply

You odnt go to lympstone gym do you by any chance?

Count Patron
02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Well it's not down to the trainer really. But i suppose you could ask him for an opinion.

It IS up to the trainer if you want any future with that gym.

gym jones
02-19-2008, 07:06 PM
It IS up to the trainer if you want any future with that gym.please elaborate

gym jones
02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
You odnt go to lympstone gym do you by any chance?i dont go there

T-97
02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
please elaborate

He means (i think) that you have to listen to what the trainer says, if you dont listen to what he says then you should not bother showing up. Ask him an if he sayd no then wait and if he said yes do your best

What gym do you go to?

Count Patron
02-19-2008, 07:12 PM
He means (i think) that you have to listen to what the trainer says, if you dont listen to what he says then you should not bother showing up. Ask him an if he sayd no then wait and if he said yes do your best

What gym do you go to?

Yes... if you respect your trainer you'll do what he tells you to do. If you don't respect your trainer, find a new one.

DutchDynamite
02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
im 19 i just started boxing and i been going to the gym for about 4 months 2 days a week for two hours and i wanted to know if i should ask the trainer if i can spar or will he tell me when im ready

You can ask the trainer to spar if you want to see what it is like to be in the ring and to learn but if your intension is to become a fighter then you CANNOT ask him. Only the trainer will tell you when you are ready. Work hard, show you are serious and respect his decision.

TexasTitan
02-19-2008, 09:01 PM
They put me in the ring my first day.

Count Patron
02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
They put me in the ring my first day.

Some trainers have bad judgment.

kenny91
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
It IS up to the trainer if you want any future with that gym.

Not entirely, he's recommendation would obviously help but he's permission is not essential. It's different probably for competitive reasons but if you simply wanna test yaself on what you've learnt, find out what your weaknesses are etc etc then you may simply suggest rather ask the trainer and ask for any thoughts/recommendations. A trainer cannot deprive you of sparring especially after 4 months which i think is sufficient.

Mind you i suppose it depends on who trains ya and how permissive they are.

Dude if you think your ready and if you've had sufficient training then consult your trainer. just say "look i think im ready im fit, im confident, i wanna put myself and what ive learnt to the test..." etc he cant really say no.

Count Patron
02-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Not entirely, he's recommendation would obviously help but he's permission is not essential. It's different probably for competitive reasons but if you simply wanna test yaself on what you've learnt, find out what your weaknesses are etc etc then you may simply suggest rather ask the trainer and ask for any thoughts/recommendations. A trainer cannot deprive you of sparring especially after 4 months which i think is sufficient.

Mind you i suppose it depends on who trains ya and how permissive they are.

Dude if you think your ready and if you've had sufficient training then consult your trainer. just say "look i think im ready im fit, im confident, i wanna put myself and what ive learnt to the test..." etc he cant really say no.

So what are you going to do if he says no? Hop into the ring at HIS gym and spar with someone? His trainer probably has a reason he isn't wanting him to spar yet, ask him what that is... if he blows you off or doesn't give you a good one find a new trainer.

TexasTitan
02-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Some trainers have bad judgment.

Not necessarily. They just had me 'work' with people really and just get a feel for it. I had some minor previous expierience from military schools. I was in good shape already (not boxing shape). Now Im about 2 months in and able to go full with most.

Count Patron
02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Not necessarily. They just had me 'work' with people really and just get a feel for it. I had some minor previous expierience from military schools. I was in good shape already (not boxing shape). Now Im about 2 months in and able to go full with most.

So it wasn't your first day.

TexasTitan
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
So it wasn't your first day.

First day in 4 years. I meant it was my first day at the gym. Sorry for the confusion.

TexasTitan
02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
No worries. I was mentoring a guy that was his first days, I did some very very very light sparring with him... kinda like... you try to hit me and I'm going to show you how important it is to breathe because you'll be gassed in a minute and I won't even throw anything back. It would of been a rough time if I was throwing hard punches back.

Oh yeah, clearly. I did kiss a few gloves that day but hey, I learned. My coach said, you get hit in the face long enough, eventually youll learn not to.

Eshays!
02-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Are you training for competition or just fun/exercise??

kenny91
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
So what are you going to do if he says no? Hop into the ring at HIS gym and spar with someone? His trainer probably has a reason he isn't wanting him to spar yet, ask him what that is... if he blows you off or doesn't give you a good one find a new trainer.

Well what are the chances of him saying no after 4 months ?
If he does say no he's a pretty **** trainer (in the sense that he is ill-considerate towards his boxers and what they want)

now i could perfectly understand him objecting after like 2 weeks but even so it won't be an upfront 'No' he'll go 'oh i wouldn't recommend it, wait'.

plus it depends on what level you are boxing, if it's pure pleasure and you have no intention in becoming involved in tournaments with that trainer, you have a lot more freedom cos your not a huge priority to him.

A trainer will not simply say 'NO' (unless someones fighting in there already or the gyms about to close :P) but he'll give his recommendation on it. He'll probably be a bit unhappy if you object against his recommendation to not spar just yet but thats about it.

kenny91
02-20-2008, 06:14 PM
your sorting gettin my drift in your last comment (that was aimed at me)- thats pretty much what i've been trying to say (ish).

gym jones
04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
i sparred today 3 rounds :boxing: im haps

Domey
04-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Been in the gym over four months and this is your first time sparring? Have you been going steady or every now and then?

Even if you haven't been going steady, four months is a very long time IMO for someone to not have stepped foot inside the ring yet.

Putting you in with someone that is a trained fighter and has been there a while, to work with you and touch you lightly when you mistakes, is something that should have been done a while ago if you ask me.

I spar with green guys all the time. They goto the gym and work out, get use to the workout, and after they are comfertable and able to do a full workout, I get thrown in with them. I go very light, but I do touch them to let them know and be aware of their mistakes.

For instance the common mistake of throwing a jab, and pulling your right hand down. Touchng them on the top of the headgear with a counter hook lets them know what they are doing wrong.

Goodluck with future sparring.

nedcmk1
04-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I asked at my gym about this......

Back in the day you came in and worked hard and didn't ask for anything, just did what the trainer told you and when.

Now is different though. Very differemt. Every gym,even the most hardcore is a business. For them to make money they need members, and having a lot of members (enough to keep a nice ring in there and the doors open) means having a lot of people with no intention of ever sparring or competing. Just there for fitness.

Due to this influx of non boxing boxers you must make your intentions clear and let the trainer know what you are trying to do. Then he will let yu know what he thinks and move you along accordingly.

At least in nyc thats how it is.

makaveli_uk
04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Well what are the chances of him saying no after 4 months ?
If he does say no he's a pretty **** trainer (in the sense that he is ill-considerate towards his boxers and what they want)

now i could perfectly understand him objecting after like 2 weeks but even so it won't be an upfront 'No' he'll go 'oh i wouldn't recommend it, wait'.

plus it depends on what level you are boxing, if it's pure pleasure and you have no intention in becoming involved in tournaments with that trainer, you have a lot more freedom cos your not a huge priority to him.

A trainer will not simply say 'NO' (unless someones fighting in there already or the gyms about to close :P) but he'll give his recommendation on it. He'll probably be a bit unhappy if you object against his recommendation to not spar just yet but thats about it.

Thats bull****. Just because he's been going 4 months he should have the right to spar? **** that, if he's not ready, he's not ready. Your trainer will know best when you're ready. People improve at different rates.