View Full Version : Boxing Medical Examination Help and advice

mr tricky
02-19-2008, 06:12 AM
ok i know some of you here will of had a boxing medical exam.

i was just told by my trainer that im ready for my medical to fight and i was really happy but now ive just found out that in the uk you cant wear cntact lenses which i need but they dont affect me so its anoyying, i really want to box, should i lie to the medical examaner and say i dont wear them and then try to pass the test or should i tell the truth even though im 95% sure i wont be able to box,
p.s they also check your eyes with a light or somting ive heard so he/she may be able to see them in my eyes so im owrried.
i need some advice.

aslo what other mediacl tests do you take, for anyone who has had them done, thanx

T-97
02-19-2008, 06:22 AM
i have not had one yet, im having one soon. they have to check your balls, and you have to stand on one leg to test your balance. Do not lie! If you are not allowed to box there is a good reason so dont lie mate.

Darkstranger
02-19-2008, 07:20 AM
i have not had one yet, im having one soon. they have to check your balls, and you have to stand on one leg to test your balance. Do not lie! If you are not allowed to box there is a good reason so dont lie mate.

Check your balls and stand on one leg? :nonono:

You're joking right?

T-97
02-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Check your balls and stand on one leg? :nonono:

You're joking right?

NO

Three people i know have had them, one of them only had theres like last week and they say you have to take a piss sample down with you. They make you stand on one leg to check your balance, cup your balls and make you cough and some other stuff!

I am having one sson, i aint looking forward to the cupping of the balls bit lol!

mr tricky
02-19-2008, 07:45 AM
but if i dont lie, then i know i cant box, and its all i really want in my life , to go as far as i can in boxing, i want my dad to see me box in my first fight and want some amature fights. if i dont lie its a 100% no. i hate this i need advice,

btw i can box abslitley fine with contacts int ey diont affect me at all

Ell
02-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Unless you've got tunnel vision I don't see why you can't fight without your contacts in. Lots of fighters wear glasses outside the ring, I know Ricky Hatton and Bernard Hopkins do.

Darkstranger
02-19-2008, 08:55 AM
NO

Three people i know have had them, one of them only had theres like last week and they say you have to take a piss sample down with you. They make you stand on one leg to check your balance, cup your balls and make you cough and some other stuff!

I am having one sson, i aint looking forward to the cupping of the balls bit lol!

No one checked my nutsack during my medical or any of the other fighters at my club! Or stand on one leg either!

They check your piss and ask you a few general health questions, check your eyesight, weight and height and that's it!

T-97
02-19-2008, 10:36 AM
No one checked my nutsack during my medical or any of the other fighters at my club! Or stand on one leg either!

They check your piss and ask you a few general health questions, check your eyesight, weight and height and that's it!

LOL thats not how the guy that does our gyms medicals does it!

rj_ct
02-19-2008, 10:55 AM
ok i know some of you here will of had a boxing medical exam.

i was just told by my trainer that im ready for my medical to fight and i was really happy but now ive just found out that in the uk you cant wear cntact lenses which i need but they dont affect me so its anoyying, i really want to box, should i lie to the medical examaner and say i dont wear them and then try to pass the test or should i tell the truth even though im 95% sure i wont be able to box,
p.s they also check your eyes with a light or somting ive heard so he/she may be able to see them in my eyes so im owrried.
i need some advice.

aslo what other mediacl tests do you take, for anyone who has had them done, thanx

start training without your contacts in, man. i'm in the exact same position as you. just get used to not wearing them when you train. you'll be surprised how quickly your body will adjust.

mr tricky
02-19-2008, 11:27 AM
i cant man,..i wudnt be able to even find my way to the gym lol, my eyes seem to have gotten worse, anyway yeah ur right i probly shud try sparring withoput them in but, still then i cant pass my medical because i will feail the eye exam, i wont be able to the the board and read the letters or do whatever you have to do, im in a louse/louse sitiation unless i lie and hope for some reason she desent see them in my eye when she eamines my eyes

mr tricky
02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
hey darkstranger can you tell me what ecsacly did they do to test your eyes , or dose anyone else no aswell,

T-97
02-20-2008, 05:22 AM
hey darkstranger can you tell me what ecsacly did they do to test your eyes , or dose anyone else no aswell,

I have a medical tomorrow so if you want me to i will post up what i had to do so that you know.

Ok

mr tricky
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
yes, please could you do thta thnx

podxvost
02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Why dont you try and bribe the doctor to let you pass, or does it not work in England like that? I know in USA it wont happen but the country i'm originaly from it would be really easy to do. Just a thought.

mr tricky
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
seriously ive atchuly thought about it , thats how desprate i am, if it all comes down to it and she says on the spot i wont pass i will beg for her to let me,

has anyone got any info on what the mdical involves

kenny91
02-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Same ere, piss examination and general health questions then i had to run about and record my pulse. Oh and we also get tested for drugs, i noticed no-one has mentioned that, does anyone else get tested for drug intake?

mr tricky
02-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Did They Test Your Eye Sight?? If So How

mr tricky
02-20-2008, 06:39 PM
come on guys please reply, i need to know hwo the examine your eyes, or what you had to do ect,

any help apreaciated.....

yes i know i cant spell

kenny91
02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Well the just asked 'Are you long / short sighted and wear glasess/contact lenses?' i simply said no and they held a card at distance and told me the read the letters but they stopped me halfway through and went 'ok thats sufficient' but the hole thing was quite quick considering when i didnt box i had to wait for my mate up town at a gym he goes to and he took ages to do his medical ... i had to turn up with piss sample, answer like 5 questions, a very quick eye test and a quite quick breathaliser for drugs. but i did that embeded in my run ... so i ran about, sat down and recorded my pulse whilst some dude said 'breathe down this'

my mates medical took forever- **** knows what they got him to do...

kenny91
02-20-2008, 06:45 PM
However that was just a general medical.

it weren't for a fight though, i guess circumstances would be a bit more thorough for an Amateur bout. (?)

T-97
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Well the just asked 'Are you long / short sighted and wear glasess/contact lenses?' i simply said no and they held a card at distance and told me the read the letters but they stopped me halfway through and went 'ok thats sufficient' but the hole thing was quite quick considering when i didnt box i had to wait for my mate up town at a gym he goes to and he took ages to do his medical ... i had to turn up with piss sample, answer like 5 questions, a very quick eye test and a quite quick breathaliser for drugs. but i did that embeded in my run ... so i ran about, sat down and recorded my pulse whilst some dude said 'breathe down this'

my mates medical took forever- **** knows what they got him to do...

Beeeend over....

mr tricky
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
oh my freind had one and had his eyes check with a light which i hope not to have because i have contacts in, anyway thanx for yur info m8

kenny91
02-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Beeeend over....

LMAO

oh my freind had one and had his eyes check with a light which i hope not to have because i have contacts in, anyway thanx for yur info m8

Yeah some places are different. Especially under prioritive circumstances like a Amateur tournament fight.

and no probs matey ;)

Onslow.
02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
for your medical, the can do a number of things.

Test your eyes, hearing, blood pressure. They take a piss test for drugs...diabeties...plus a whole host of other things.

On the fight day, they are less thorough, you'll be in a long queue of men and boys. They'll listen to your heart and lungs, sometimes they check your fists, ask you if your in good health "colds, coughs, flu?" You say, nope. They listen to your chest whilst you take some deep breaths then say, off you go. If you got stubble, they make you shave soimetimes too.

ok thats it.

On teh day, of the medical, don't lie. If you cant box for your bad eyes then its not meant to be.

T-97
02-20-2008, 07:30 PM
On teh day, of the medical, don't lie. If you cant box for your bad eyes then its not meant to be.

Thats what i said

mr tricky
02-21-2008, 05:59 AM
but i dont want that, i wear contacts i can see perfectly with them on they dotn affect my boxing at all , and in america your allowed to wear them and fight,

its not fair just stupid rules, when i really want to box.

T-97
02-21-2008, 06:26 AM
but i dont want that, i wear contacts i can see perfectly with them on they dotn affect my boxing at all , and in america your allowed to wear them and fight,

its not fair just stupid rules, when i really want to box.

Think about this reasonably

Lets say you get caught and something happens with your contact lenses, you cant see the shots coming properly and you just keep getting hit, and maybe badlyh urt. Would that really be worth it?

If you are told you cant box then there is a reason for it, your safety has to come first.

mr tricky
02-21-2008, 07:22 AM
my contacts have come out loads of times they are very think and dont affect me if one comes out, i could still finish the fight, also im planning on getting laser eye surgery when i get the money in the furure

T-97
02-21-2008, 08:01 AM
my contacts have come out loads of times they are very think and dont affect me if one comes out, i could still finish the fight, also im planning on getting laser eye surgery when i get the money in the furure

Well if your eyes are fine then you will be allowed to box.

mr tricky
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
my eyes arnt fine i need contact lenses in, please can some one read this post and give me advice on what hey do at a medical exam for your eyes

legacyofbrutality
02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
mr tricky...If you cant see the person in front of you well enough to be able to throw and connect with punches as well as avoid getting hit too easily then its just too dangerous...mr tricky are you near sighted or far sighted?

T-97
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
I just had a medical and you have to read off an eye chart to check your vision

It dont matter much though cause you have already decided that your gunna lie by the sounds of it

mr tricky
02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
ok look i wear contacts, they let me see fine... i box and spar witht them in all the time they dont stop me from boxing, i can box with them in. but in the amatures in elgand you arnt allowed to wear them in fights so i cant pass my medical, unless i lie and they dotn see them in my eye,

mr tricky
02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
thanx for all your help t-97

mr tricky
02-21-2008, 06:25 PM
im near sited

T-97
02-21-2008, 06:27 PM
thanx for all your help t-97

No probs

btw if you have laser eye surgery you are not allowed to box either. It said so on the medical form i got earlier. Dunno bout contacts, it depends on how good your vision is without them, you cant box if you have bad vision, depends how bad your eyes are without them tbh.

Good Luck

legacyofbrutality
02-21-2008, 06:43 PM
I just had a medical and you have to read off an eye chart to check your vision

It dont matter much though cause you have already decided that your gunna lie by the sounds of it

weird question, but how far away do they stand from you when they make you read it?

T-97
02-22-2008, 07:08 PM
weird question, but how far away do they stand from you when they make you read it?

Errmmmm..... I think it was about

maybe

4-5 metres

I can;t be sure but i think its about that