View Full Version : boxing and eyesight

legacyofbrutality
02-15-2008, 04:25 PM
are there any regulations on how poor your eyesight is in boxing? do a lot of medical exams that fighters take include eye exams? thx if you can help.

mr tricky
02-15-2008, 05:01 PM
i have bad eye sight myslef i wear contact lenses for boxing and sparring i dont have medical yet but ive been told you cant fight with bad eye sight or contact lenses, so the otnly other options is to lie to the person taking your medical and say you dont wear contacts or try and pass the test (if you dont have contacts) or lasewr eye treatment or tell them.

im 100 percent sure tho so i may be wrong about bad eyes neva done the test myslef and diffrent rules in diffrent arts of world

TexasTitan
02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I box with contacts in. But laser out treatment is out of the quesiton. Getting hit in the head can screw it all up.

moin126
02-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Well i have Sharingan.

legacyofbrutality
02-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I box with contacts in. But laser out treatment is out of the quesiton. Getting hit in the head can screw it all up.

what happens if you get laser eye treatment and then box?

TexasTitan
02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
what happens if you get laser eye treatment and then box?

From Wikipedia.

With procedures that create a permanent flap in the cornea (such as LASIK), there is also the possibility of accidental traumatic flap displacement years after the surgery, with potentially disastrous results if not given prompt medical attention.

This makes me nervous. I thought Id be able to fight with contacts in. I hate the thought of not being able to.

Pound 4 Pound
02-15-2008, 07:30 PM
You guys don't know what you are talking about.

You can wear contacts, but if you loose one during the fight you must continue without it.

RUSTYBOXER
02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
what about having the corner man carry an extra pair just in case. a minute is more than enough time for him to put one in

RUSTYBOXER
02-15-2008, 07:54 PM
so far iv been lucky and lost more than one occasion my contacts during sparring and not in a fight

ExecutiveOutlaw
02-15-2008, 09:12 PM
From Wikipedia.

With procedures that create a permanent flap in the cornea (such as LASIK), there is also the possibility of accidental traumatic flap displacement years after the surgery, with potentially disastrous results if not given prompt medical attention.

This makes me nervous. I thought Id be able to fight with contacts in. I hate the thought of not being able to.

but if im not mistaken, there are other forms of laser eye surgery

the ones the soliders get prevent things like this i believe. i forgot what it was called tho

legacyofbrutality
02-16-2008, 12:52 AM
I dont wear contacts at all when I box or spar...I dont have perfect eyesight but it's good enough...I was just wondering if there were some minimum requirements for how your eyesight is.

AK-47
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
In the medical exam they do ask about eyesight ut its maily brushed under the carpet
And laser treatment isnt all that bad. A friend had it done
All they do is tell you to look at a red light and boom its done in like 10 minutens

TexasTitan
02-18-2008, 04:42 PM
In the medical exam they do ask about eyesight ut its maily brushed under the carpet
And laser treatment isnt all that bad. A friend had it done
All they do is tell you to look at a red light and boom its done in like 10 minutens

So what exactly do they ask you? I havent fought since I was at military school and those werent "official" fights so they didnt care. I really want to wear contacts. I can fight without them but I want them in.

AK-47
02-18-2008, 06:10 PM
So what exactly do they ask you? I havent fought since I was at military school and those werent "official" fights so they didnt care. I really want to wear contacts. I can fight without them but I want them in.

"so hows youre eyesight then"?
They might take a eye test
Just be truthful
THey just dont pass the medicals on people who are like blind in one eye or something

toolboxdiver
02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
an old time Philly Boxer Gypsey Joe Harris fought with one eye til he got caught and was forced to retire. It was a shame he made it that far with one eye. He was 28-1 when he retired
http://www.phillyboxinghistory.com/records/record_harris.htm

phallus
02-23-2008, 12:56 AM
harry greb fought with only one eye for the last half of his career, he still won most of his fights, until he started going blind in his one eye