View Full Version : first fight

lukeybg
02-14-2008, 10:21 AM
i know the answer to this can come in all shapes and sizes but when would you expect someone to have there first fight. People in here how long did you train for till you had your first fight???

JUHL
02-14-2008, 10:23 AM
it all depends on when your ready, some people may take years before their first fight and others just a few months. Do you spar alot?

RichCCFC
02-14-2008, 12:05 PM
If you're fit already when you go it and show promise it will only take about 3 months.

Count Patron
02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
About 2 months.

kenny91
02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Tbf it really depends how ready you feel and whether your trainer thinks your set to go. But anything above 2 months is advisable and consider your shape, your knowledge and confidence. Put nerves aside and focus on what you've been taught and focus cos your first fight will say a lot about you as a fighter.

Anyways matey good luck whenever you do fight ;)
let us know how you get along, yeah?

mightymouse2k
02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
For me i waited two and a half years.

lukeybg
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
to be fair i dont think i will get a fight that soon. Ive been goin 2 months and sparred twice (thats 2 1 hour sessions a week) problem is the gym i go to gets really busy. We have around 26 training and about 8 of them are boxers who fight so its fairly hard to get individual training considering there are only 4 trainers there. Both time ive sparred ive done well against people of similar ability but the individual coach who watched me sparred both times hasnt been at training for 3 weeks dunno why!!!??? Leaves me a **** situation though. I dont think im anywhere near ready for a fight but would like to spar more regular but i also understand that the coaches have to concentrate on the fighters with fights coming up. two of the best boxers in my gym have been goin for only 2 years and one of them has had 4 fights and the other has had 7 and won the national novice title at welterweight so maybe at my gym it just takes time!!!

yidish pugilist
02-14-2008, 04:48 PM
a little more than two months

Evil_Meat
02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Well 2 months is a little ridiculous... I have always and would school pretty much anyone who's only boxed for 2 months (assuming prior to the 2 months they knew nothing) 2 months just isn't enough to properly develop any sort of fundamentals that are going to stay with you once you jump in the ring and get hit. Now i think 2 months is fine if you're in good shape and have shadowboxed for a long time.

Count Patron
02-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Well 2 months is a little ridiculous... I have always and would school pretty much anyone who's only boxed for 2 months (assuming prior to the 2 months they knew nothing) 2 months just isn't enough to properly develop any sort of fundamentals that are going to stay with you once you jump in the ring and get hit. Now i think 2 months is fine if you're in good shape and have shadowboxed for a long time.

It's a relative to who you are fighting. You can shadow box all you want, hit the heavy bag all you want but none of that will really prepare you for your first fight. All the nerves come out your first fight and a lot of your training you forget. It's best to just get in the ring and fight as soon as you are in enough shape to do so and you have a well matched opponent. You would beat someone with only 2 months experience? How much experience do you have to make that claim?

yidish pugilist
02-14-2008, 09:10 PM

I did two months with no prior boxing experience but I was sparring almost everyday.

You have to spar any time sparring's available if you want to develope quickly.

JSizzle
02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I agree, IF you have natural talent, and you are in BOXING SHAPE you can have your first amatuer fight within 3 months as long as it was a strict 3 months of good training... no posuers. The best way to know if you are ready is to "ask your trainer". He would be able to tell you honestly based on your experience. No Fear my friend:boxing:

aussieboxer2320
02-15-2008, 04:01 AM
6 mnths for me then i waited anutha year 2 fyt agen

VBoxer
02-15-2008, 04:30 AM
I have been training for about 5 months and I have my first fight on Feb. 23.

I'm nervous, but I feel I'm ready.

mr tricky
02-15-2008, 05:55 AM
im the same as you mate,

ive been goin to my gym for 1 year and a bit now and my gym has loads of people going, some of them are very good amatures who have won things , im still desprate for my first fight, but i think it just takes time first, my gym is same as yours with loads of people and few trainers and they fucos more on people with fights coming up, but eventuly you will get your shot an so will i

fraidycat
02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I trained my ass off for about nine months, IIRC.

MikeBrew328
02-15-2008, 02:58 PM
a little more than two months

I strongly disagree. It takes 2 months if you've been training for years and had just taken some time off, then 2 months would be the duration of your training camp.

yidish pugilist
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I strongly disagree. It takes 2 months if you've been training for years and had just taken some time off, then 2 months would be the duration of your training camp.

training camp? I'm talking about ametuer.

Count Patron
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM

What are you talking about? An amateur boxing match is nothing.

lukeybg
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
just gt back from training tonight. The impression i get from these forums is that in the US you get fights a lot quicker than in the UK including things called smokers.

Most people i know who have boxed took at least a month to spar (with no previous training) then at least 6 months to fight. I think seasons have something to do with getting a chance in the UK i got told by someone who knows a lot about the amateur boxing scene who use to fight that i definatly wouldnt fight till the current season was over which is july i think.

JSizzle
02-15-2008, 03:45 PM
VBoxer Good luck on the 23rd. Just stay calm in there and outwork the other guy and you WILL WIN!

lukeybg
02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
mr tricky how old are you and at what weight do you think you would fight??

Count Patron
02-15-2008, 05:33 PM

Best advice I can give you is RELAX RELAX RELAX. Do not go out there THINKING you are going to knock the guy out or even try to. Just jab jab jab, throw what you know and if you just relax and focus on what you are doing you'll do great.

aussieboxer2320
02-15-2008, 07:54 PM

how old ru and wat weight ru fighting at? wat country?

yidish pugilist
02-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm fighting the 23rd too, found out yesterday.

RichCCFC
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Welsh gyms are very good, I go to a small gym in Llanharan Wales so not many people go there and the coach spends 2 whole hours working with me and my mate. I have been sparring since the first day I started and I have come on leaps and bounds already.

aussieboxer2320
02-16-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah ive herd there are alot of good young amateurs in england ireland and wales

VBoxer
02-16-2008, 11:12 PM
how old ru and wat weight ru fighting at? wat country?

im 20 years-old. i weigh 150lbs. i am from Nebraska in the US

VBoxer
02-17-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm fighting the 23rd too, found out yesterday.

Good luck, bro. Let me know how it goes.

yidish pugilist
02-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Good luck, bro. Let me know how it goes.

thanks man you too

Domey
02-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I personally trained for over a year before my first fight, and that was being in the gym 5 days a week.

In all honesty you do not need that long of time, I was ready well before then. I would say between 3-6 months depending on your shape, how well you progress, and just natural instict to fight.

Your first fight, better yet first few fights you wont remember a single thing you learn anyhow. You will go in the ring with with good intentions of 'boxing' and jabbing. Once you get hit with a punch, and you are in that ring with the crowd going, it will pretty much just become a brawl.

Just try and take your time. Get some good sparring sessions under your belt to the point where you feel comfertable in the ring. Just keep relaxed and don't get over anxious.

lukeybg
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
i think the reason i dont get alot of sparring is the fact im 6'2 but only 11st3 so im too small a weight to fight the bigger lads at the gym but too big too fight the smaller guys.

three lads have just turned up at the gym and they are awful only been coming 2 weeks and are getting to spar because they are all at the same level and the same height/weight.

so what a need is a lanky streak of piss beginner like me to show up at the gym!!!!

supRa
04-25-2008, 01:07 AM
it took me 4 months