View Full Version : FAO PunchDrunk, regarding new am boxing rules.

BrooklynBomber
02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I just talked to my mate from mother Russia regarding am boxing and he told me that after the olympic games in china the amateur boxing rules will be changed. There will be no more helmets and the gloves would be of a different format, where it will be easier to make a fist(like in pros).

How much of this is true?

Edit: Oh, yeah the time format will be 3 by 3

D.I.E.S.E.L
02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I just talked to my mate from mother Russia regarding am boxing and he told me that after the olympic games in china the amateur boxing rules will be changed. There will be no more helmets and the gloves would be of a different format, where it will be easier to make a fist(like in pros).

How much of this is true?

Edit: Oh, yeah the time format will be 3 by 3

What does FAO stand for ?

yidish pugilist
02-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I like the no helmets rule

BrooklynBomber
02-12-2008, 07:38 PM
What does FAO stand for ?

For Attention Of

D.I.E.S.E.L
02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
For Attention Of

lol oh, i was about to say For attention only. Close enough

kenny91
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Is that an International move or just in Russia?

do ya'll think this is wise at all ? i dont. i think no helmets is for the better experienced and stronger (pros).

Count Patron
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM

do ya'll think this is wise at all ? i dont. i think no helmets is for the better experienced and stronger (pros).

I agree. Amateur boxing is about points and technique, NOT KOs and damage... if you aren't getting paid you shouldn't be exposed to excessive brain trauma.

kenny91
02-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree. Amateur boxing is about points and technique, NOT KOs and damage... if you aren't getting paid you shouldn't be exposed to excessive brain trauma.

Exactly my point i wanna read more into in and try and find an article on the matter... wanna see if (A) its for real & (B) whether its an international move or just Russia/China.

Be back in a bit.

:bye:

kenny91
02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
well i tried searching Askjeeves and google and even tried the AIBA website but nope - nothing ...

BrooklynBomber
02-12-2008, 09:12 PM

Not even sure, I talked to my mate and that's just what he said.

BTW, am boxing used to be without the helmets and with small gloves up until the 80s I think.

kenny91
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
ah well, guess time will tell i spose...

fraidycat
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Brooklyn, who is that in your avy?

BrooklynBomber
02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Brooklyn, who is that in your avy?

Me.....

Heh, no it's Wlad throwing left hook.

phallus
02-12-2008, 11:47 PM

the headgear just protects your face from cuts, it doesn't stop u from getting brain damage...i'm not so sure the am's should be like the pro's though, they're just kids, i don't think i want them to get brain damage before they even get to the pros

boxing4ever
02-13-2008, 08:02 AM
I will straight up tell everyone! THIS **** IS ****ING STUPID! Unless there getting paid why have small ass gloves and no headgear? So basically it will be more entertaining for the crowd and more damaging on the actuall fighters. If they make that rule then the ****ing hell with amateur boxing, I wont compete no more.

Salty
02-13-2008, 08:27 AM
yeah their will be no chance of parents letting their kids compete if you reduce glove size and take away head gear.

PunchDrunk
02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
As far as I know, none of it is certain yet. The changes have been proposed and talked about, but I don't think anything is set in stone yet.

I kinda like the headgear. When I started boxing in the mid 80'ies helmets were starting to come in, but they weren't mandatory. I boxed the first 10-15 of my fights without a helmet.

I think the helmets save the fighters face from cuts and other damage, which is all good. The main argument against it, is that it makes the sport less attractive, because people want to be able to see the fighters faces, so they're more recognizable. I think that argument is a really bad one that obviously hasn't been though through. I mean, the NFL, NHL, Formula 1 racing, and a bunch of other sports with great audience appeal have helmets that cover the participants' faces much more than in boxing, and NO ONE's *****ing about that.

I also kinda like the 4x2 minute rounds, because of the high pace, but 3x3 would be okay I guess, I've boxed that as well back in the day.

yidish pugilist
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I think no headgear is safer because it makes you blind in certain spots and can get hit clean with hooks sometimes since they don't really allow much peripheral vision.

sterling
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
this shudnet happen alot of young amatuers wil get messed up and be put off boxing.

brian123
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope this is true i hate wearing the headgear always gets in my eyes while fighting

danny stash
02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
this shudnet happen alot of young amatuers wil get messed up and be put off boxing.
for the record this is the worst spelling of "shouldn't" I have ever seen...

danny stash
02-16-2008, 02:58 AM
I thought that was hilarious...

o well

P4PKING_2008
02-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I think it would be a good idea. But judges scroing like the pros would be the best change they can make right not.

boxing4ever
02-16-2008, 01:11 PM
As far as I know, none of it is certain yet. The changes have been proposed and talked about, but I don't think anything is set in stone yet.

I kinda like the headgear. When I started boxing in the mid 80'ies helmets were starting to come in, but they weren't mandatory. I boxed the first 10-15 of my fights without a helmet.

I think the helmets save the fighters face from cuts and other damage, which is all good. The main argument against it, is that it makes the sport less attractive, because people want to be able to see the fighters faces, so they're more recognizable. I think that argument is a really bad one that obviously hasn't been though through. I mean, the NFL, NHL, Formula 1 racing, and a bunch of other sports with great audience appeal have helmets that cover the participants' faces much more than in boxing, and NO ONE's *****ing about that.

I also kinda like the 4x2 minute rounds, because of the high pace, but 3x3 would be okay I guess, I've boxed that as well back in the day.
yes yes yes THIS MAN JUST SPOKE THE TRUTH!
all the other sports get to wear helmets and protection and they get paid millions to do it!