View Full Version : Protein?

jdubb863
02-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Does any1 know if the protien bars are good or the shakes?... I was noticing that the bars had more protein in them (28gm) and the shakes had a little less... Ethier way should i take protein before or after a work out? How much?

danny stash
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Does any1 know if the protien bars are good or the shakes?... I was noticing that the bars had more protein in them (28gm) and the shakes had a little less... Ethier way should i take protein before or after a work out? How much?
i usually take a shake and double the dosage to about 45 grams or so. Take after a workout ALWAYS as this is the time your muscles most need it for repair...

I recommend

BSN

syntha-6 chocolate

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=177797&catid=80376&aid=334918&aparam=bsn_syntha_6_protein_pow&CAWELAID=107673492

ps: you can find it for less..

jdubb863
02-11-2008, 11:32 PM
i usually take a shake and double the dosage to about 45 grams or so. Take after a workout ALWAYS as this is the time your muscles most need it for repair...

I recommend

BSN

syntha-6 chocolate

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=177797&catid=80376&aid=334918&aparam=bsn_syntha_6_protein_pow&CAWELAID=107673492

ps: you can find it for less..

Thanks ill try that out..

Count Patron
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
If it's whey protein then it's a complete protein and doesn't matter if it's in a bar or in a shake. Look at the sugar between the two though, a lot of bars are loaded with sugar, some shakes too. You don't need as much protein as a lot of people take, around .5-.75g per lb you weigh is sufficient.

jdubb863
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
If it's whey protein then it's a complete protein and doesn't matter if it's in a bar or in a shake. Look at the sugar between the two though, a lot of bars are loaded with sugar, some shakes too. You don't need as much protein as a lot of people take, around .5-.75g per lb you weigh is sufficient.

Well do you know where i can get Whey protien?... Or some thing that has whey protien in it?

fraidycat
02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
This is my spin on an old-school bodybuilder's breakfast -- it's probably been around in some form or another since the days of Jack Lalanne.

They used to use raw eggs and yogurt before the days of whey protein, and hardcore bodybuilders and strength athletes in the 60's and 70's would make shakes from milk, brewer's yeast, oats, and raw calf's liver. Thank God we live in a more enlightened era.

Here's a cheap, filling -- and quick -- protein shake.

1 cup quick oats (use instant oats, trust me on this)
2 or 3 scoops whey protein
2 cups nonfat milk, or apple juice
1/2 cup berries or frozen berries

Put it all in a blender, whip till frothy.

Chug half of it for breakfast. Put the other half in the fridge and blend it again and chug it after your workout. With a lid on the blender, it'll keep for a few days in the fridge. ~800 calories, 80g protein, 4g fat in the whole thing (2 servings.)

Instead of berries, you can use a banana, or a tablespoon of peanut butter, or a few tablespoons of Ovaltine, or whatever trips your trigger. Something to give it flavor.

Count Patron
02-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Well do you know where i can get Whey protien?... Or some thing that has whey protien in it?

You can buy it as a powder online or in stores. There are two main ones that are sold: Whey and Soy. As long as you are not lactose intolerant get it. It will say it is whey on the label.

Journeyman
02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
i would go with the shake. I used to eat those protein bars alll the time and it had me sh*tting bricks. some of the worst constimpation of my life, lol.

fraidycat
02-12-2008, 12:28 AM
The best tasting whey is Designer Whey. www.designerwhey.com . The French Vanilla is awesome, all natural. No sucralose, no aspartame, no sugar.

There is sucralose in the chocolate flavor, BTW. :puke:

TexasTitan
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
REalistically, whey is whey. Its great to use as a SUPPLEMENTATION to your already full and healthy diet riiiiight?

Isopure is great beacuse it has very low carbs and calories for practically no weight/size gain so you stay lean and recovered.

aussieboxer2320
02-12-2008, 03:21 AM
dont take protein shakes!!!!!!!!!!!! they make you fat and dont do anything more than a steak or a can of tuna or an omlet does for you

TexasTitan
02-12-2008, 03:31 AM
dont take protein shakes!!!!!!!!!!!! they make you fat and dont do anything more than a steak or a can of tuna or an omlet does for you

Not true at all. They provide a quick absobtion of proteins to help your body rebuild when it needs it most. They give more protein than any of those others really could. However, you might be referring to things such as muscle milk or cytogainer and the like. That can be true but youre putting in such good work when you box, I dont see that as likely. Youll probably just get bigger. However the creatine cant be good for quickness and such. Soem doctors think its just outright bad.

Unanimous
02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
****! You're meant to eat after you work out!! I must sound like such a dumbass but I'm new to all this keep fit, excercise, stuff.

I usually do my training/keep fit at night (approx 8pm - 9pm), then have a shower, then relax watching some archive fights on DVD before hitting the sack at 10.30pm. I have my dinner around 6.30/7pm and I thought it best to do my excercises after I've had my food for the day so I can burn it off. I'm pretty strict when it comes to my diet and won't eat anything after 8pm because it'll just sit there.

Protein-wise I get all mine from beans & pulses, the odd peanut-butter sarnie, or pumpkin seeds (I'm vegetarian).

Detroit101
02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
the best protein is anything that says ISOLATE.....Isopure or wheybolic extreme are a few brands....stay away from concentrate proteins, they dont have digestive enzymes and will not be absorbed by your body...in protein you get what you pay for and isolate proteins are much more expensive but far more effective...also isolate proteins have far less cholesterol in them and have higher concentrations of branched chain amino acids that help your body recover quicker.....

Have at least 1 gram per lb of body weight to keep your body in a positive nitrogen balance, this will make sure that after exersice your body isnt breaking down muscle tissue to feed exhausted muscles...this will happen if you do not consume enough protein in daily diet...

And remember, supplements are just that, a supplemental food to a well balanced diet. Most of the protein and nutrients you need should be consumed through the food that you eat....there are many different micro nutrients, phytonutrients and organic compounds that are found in whole foods that have not been duplicated by science and are very important to overall health....

Good luck!

FYI: take 20 grams 30 min before a workout and no more than 50 grams after....20 for fuel and 50 for recovery....your body can only process up to 50 grams at a time, anything more and it will just pass through your system without being digested...

moin126
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
the best protein is anything that says ISOLATE.....Isopure or wheybolic extreme are a few brands....stay away from concentrate proteins, they dont have digestive enzymes and will not be absorbed by your body...in protein you get what you pay for and isolate proteins are much more expensive but far more effective...also isolate proteins have far less cholesterol in them and have higher concentrations of branched chain amino acids that help your body recover quicker.....

Have at least 1 gram per lb of body weight to keep your body in a positive nitrogen balance, this will make sure that after exersice your body isnt breaking down muscle tissue to feed exhausted muscles...this will happen if you do not consume enough protein in daily diet...

And remember, supplements are just that, a supplemental food to a well balanced diet. Most of the protein and nutrients you need should be consumed through the food that you eat....there are many different micro nutrients, phytonutrients and organic compounds that are found in whole foods that have not been duplicated by science and are very important to overall health....

Good luck!

FYI: take 20 grams 30 min before a workout and no more than 50 grams after....20 for fuel and 50 for recovery....your body can only process up to 50 grams at a time, anything more and it will just pass through your system without being digested...

DETROIT BABY. He knows them chemicals FOSHO

TexasTitan
02-12-2008, 11:59 AM
DETROIT BABY. He knows them chemicals FOSHO

Detroit was also ranked the most miserable place to live in the nation.