View Full Version : How Long..

LOLORSKATES
02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Does it take to build lower abs and what exercises could I do to build them?
At the gym I do elevated knee pulls and then there's this machine that is like an ab lounge except it uses weights, but either i'm too weak to use this machine or I just don't get the concept.

Any suggestions?

Ell
02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I find reverse ab crunches are a good lower ab workout or just leg raises of the floor. Those two should give you good abs. If all that fails just do some running and that will get you good abs.

LOLORSKATES
02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
what are reverse ab crunches? :confused:

kenny91
02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
do it the old fashion way - situps but with a turn to ur left and right when you come up and do quite a bit of them. and/or use 1 of them ab stimulators that ur wear around ur waist, stick it on low but high enough to feel it and go out runnin.

i usually do the first 1 though, its simple and effective.

LOLORSKATES
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
wouldn't that build more of the obliques though? And what exactly does the ab stim do?

Tuggers1986
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Does it take to build lower abs and what exercises could I do to build them?
At the gym I do elevated knee pulls and then there's this machine that is like an ab lounge except it uses weights, but either i'm too weak to use this machine or I just don't get the concept.

Any suggestions?

It depends on your BF%

If you aint slim enough you may never see them.

Cut fat and keep blasting the crunches and do plenty of running. They will eventually come

LOLORSKATES
02-10-2008, 08:54 PM
would it be best to stay away from energy drinks and candy then?

:ugh:

D.I.E.S.E.L
02-10-2008, 08:59 PM
would it be best to stay away from energy drinks and candy then?

:ugh:

damn, I thought I told you the recipe for abs awhile back when you asked for advice. If you don't have em' by now and you have been working to get em' your diet needs to be fixed.

BrooklynBomber
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Start doing squats.

LOLORSKATES
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Well big D (or short D, i'm not sure) I didn't stay fully committed to it, but now i'm willing to do such.

I think the next times i go to the gym (which is usually everyday) i'm just going to do a lot of squats and even more running.

sukhenkoy
02-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Start slow. Start doing a set of 50 situps, 50 crunches, 50 leg raises, 50 situps (going to the left and right each time you come up), 6 inches (try to hold it for 10 seconds - do like 20 sets if you can) off the ground, sit on your butt and push out your legs (keeping them off the floor) 50 times, and 50 inclined situps. Do sets of these 4 days a week. Every week, add 5 repetitions to each set. I was able to get abs after 6 months of doing this. Now I'm doing about 120 repetitions of each exercises (except for leg raises and 6 inches), and it doesn't feel bad at all. Just start with something that gives you a good workout, and continue to add to the repetitions each week.

Good luck man.

TexasTitan
02-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Im relatively new to boxing but not to conditioning. Id recommend LIGHT squats and deads and Id imagine flutter kicks and leg lifts would also do you some good if you want to focus on lower abs. Of cource, never neglect the other exercises. Its not hard to build ab strength, just keep repping out these exercises over and over.

Fix your diet first. Drag racers dont put pump gas in their cars, boxers shouldnt put bad stuff into their mouths.

Rob Pilger
02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I would stay away from sit ups of the floor unless you want serious back pain. Serious clean eating and core lifts like squats, over head presses which REALLY fire up the core, deads etc will rip up the core.

You can also lay on your back and bend your knees and flex your hips so your knees are pointing straight up. Place your hands out to the side palms up, and then raise your knees straight up the best you can. To increase the challenge you can make the lever arm longer by extending your legs straight out more while raising your knees.. I hope this isn't confusing for you.

Incline reverse crunches are great too.

Don't waste your time with exercise like leg raises and your training partner throwing your legs down. This works the hip flexors more ( Psoas ) and will cause postural imbalances. Leg raises do to if you don't have any neurological control in your lower abs. I'm not trying to sound smart or scientific, this is just the truth.

You would be wise to invest in Paul Chek's Scientific Core training so you know what works and you can arm yourself from all the bull**** out there..

Don't waste your time with doing more than 20-25 reps, instead use resistance. db, band, ect. work reps with 12-20.

Keep in mind that the external oblique is mechanically considered the chief lower abdominal muscle.

Put this to use and you will get ripped!

Rob Pilger
http://boxingperformance.com/
http://www.theultimateboxingworkout.com/fighters.h

LOLORSKATES
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I wonder if roids would do the trick :ugh:

Just a thought. It be a last resort thing and if I was truly lazy enough to not try to build them up myself.

TexasTitan
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Even if you do roids, you still have to work your ass off. Supplements as much as roids, are not cure alls. Hard work does it. I highly doubt youre working so hard that cant get abs from just working like a horse.

Unanimous
02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Diet is defo the first thing you should do. I had a one pack but after about 6 or 7 weeks of at-home-training I can actually feel all the ab muscles under my slight layer of fat. I'm sure once my fat goes down I will be able to see my abs. Excercise-wise I find crunches and laying down with my legs raised do the trick. As someone else here said though, make sure you're doing you other excercises too. Discipline yourself, and don't take roids!

Good luck!

AK-47
02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Lower abs grrrrrr take the piss to come out

sukhenkoy
02-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I wonder if roids would do the trick :ugh:

Just a thought. It be a last resort thing and if I was truly lazy enough to not try to build them up myself.
To be honest, if you want roids to do the work for you, you don't deserve abs. Don't use that stupid ****. Respect your body and yourself. If you're not willing to do the work yourself to get abs, you are as **** won't get nothing, nor do you deserve to get it. Start slow and work your way up to it. Be patient and suck it up.

fraidycat
02-12-2008, 12:06 AM
^^^ ****in' A.

Getting in shape is the EASY part of boxing. It's only once you're in shape that the real work starts. If you're looking for shortcuts in your conditioning, what kind of fighter are you going to make? This sport takes determination, and toughness, and sacrifice, and the willingness to suffer.

If you don't have the strength of character to crank out situps every morning and drink your coffee black, then how the **** do you propose to scrape yourself up off the canvas, spit out your own blood, and face the guy who just kicked your ass in front of a cheering crowd? Think about that before you think of steroids.

If you need a shortcut, you're a *****.

If you're a *****, this is not your sport.

Tenacious
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Unless you were born mad skinny and cut you have to WORK for abs. DO THE WORK and FOLLOW A STRICT DIET and i guarentee you will see results. If you want something bad enough you will dedicate yourself and not give up until you achieve the results.

Unanimous
02-13-2008, 04:59 AM
Unless you were born mad skinny and cut you have to WORK for abs. DO THE WORK and FOLLOW A STRICT DIET and i guarentee you will see results. If you want something bad enough you will dedicate yourself and not give up until you achieve the results.

Aye, what he said!

...and DISCIPLINE!!!!