View Full Version : My first street fight since boxing

triggerhappy
10-26-2004, 11:26 AM
last night this wanna be street thug seriously wanted to rob me for my gold chain with no gun. now i am 5'7 and he was 5'10 or 5'11 and he comes up grabs my neck and trys to pull my chain off. so i just jab him in the face, now my punching power in my jab is'nt strong yet so he just shook it off. so he rushed me and throws a few heymakers and i could'nt believe i block them all and then he threw a sloppy right punch i just duck to the left,and gave him a right hook to the body, left and right hook to the face and knee to the gut. he was done i ran away because i think the cops were coming. before boxing i used to just punch wildly with one hand with no type of skill ans now i am fighting smartly. thank god for boxing

puppy_dogg
10-26-2004, 11:35 AM
if you ducked to the left then you would have had to throw a left hook to the body. :confused:

spinksjinx
10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Muay Thai Knee Bash is the best weapon you can have in your arsenal in street fighting.

leff
10-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Hmmmm, havent had any fights since i started boxing, ive 3 before that, all of which i won, no skill what so ever and yes i was the smaller guy against both. I won all 3 by not stopping.

1 first 6ft and 200 he walked away have had enouh.

2: 6.1ft 260 (yes big) which i fought twice, 1 time (the worst fight ever) i hit him say 10 in the head and got 6 ( dont know what you call it) like rahman got fighting holyfield just a lot smaller, all in the forhead he had headacs and neckproblems several weeks, and he brooke one of my ribs, stepping on me.

3 and last time he tired and gave upp again allthough i still have a scar were his cornerteeths are visible on my right biceps.

triggerhappy
10-26-2004, 01:12 PM
well i threw a right hook to the body. if may have been a dumb move but it worked

drpr
10-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Right hook to the body is fine if you are moving left you are just going with the momentum

jabsRstiff
10-26-2004, 02:58 PM
"Do this, don't do that" doesn't work in a street fight.

Street fights are chaotic. No time for thinking or planning.

leff
10-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Agree it comes natural

elveiel
10-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Street fighting is bull****! Self defence is cool, but boxer vs non boxer can have terrible results.

If defending myself my favourite punch is the right upper cut, i have KO'd some wanna be thugs with that punch, Thugs always throw an over hand right with no left guard, sticking there chin in the air!! Very messy if you land it right.

Fat Shamz
10-26-2004, 10:16 PM
IMO street fighting should be anyones last resort, even if ur gonna get muggd by like 5 people, always jus punch thru one of them and then run/walk away, when the numbers are against u, boxing isnt gonna help u, and since boxing isnt a grappling or dirty kinda fighting style, itd be hard for someone whose used to boxing to be able to use the same moves the would in the ring considering the other guy is most lkely trying to take u down to the ground and then smackin u up, best thing to do is talk it out, if not possible, then land the first punch :D and make sure its something good too, like a hook to the temples, or an uppercut right under there chest ribs, or just a simple jab to the chin can send them crying :cool:

spinksjinx
10-26-2004, 11:38 PM
IMO street fighting should be anyones last resort, even if ur gonna get muggd by like 5 people, always jus punch thru one of them and then run/walk away, when the numbers are against u, boxing isnt gonna help u, and since boxing isnt a grappling or dirty kinda fighting style, itd be hard for someone whose used to boxing to be able to use the same moves the would in the ring considering the other guy is most lkely trying to take u down to the ground and then smackin u up, best thing to do is talk it out, if not possible, then land the first punch :D and make sure its something good too, like a hook to the temples, or an uppercut right under there chest ribs, or just a simple jab to the chin can send them crying :cool:

The best boxing defense you can use in a street fight is the "Morrade Hakkar" style great for street fighting...Bailed me out plenty of times...This isnt something that you can learn in the ring but doing roadwork will only prepare you for this type of training..."Morrad Hakkar" Best style for a street fight.

Fat Shamz
10-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Spinks u really know ur fighting hey... :cool:
but i guess in a street fight the best style of fighting is to use ur head...not literally but hypothetically...as in think before u swing etc etc.

Tha Greatest
10-27-2004, 01:36 AM
ur right jabsrstiff
streetfights do come natural not time to think
what u do in tha gym is what u do in a fight
u drop ur hand while hitting a bag
that's what u will do in a fight
fight sloppy on tha bag
fight sloppy in tha fight
what u do in tha gym is what u do in tha fight

Great
10-27-2004, 05:30 AM
[QUOTE=ThaGreatest...[/QUOTE]
Nice nick:)

jabsRstiff
10-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Here's how boxing has helped me on the street....

I can throw any kind of punch, from any angle, with either hand, with power....& without having to THINK about it.
it has also given me the belief that no schmoe on the street, even with his bare fist, is gonna hit me as hard as I've been hit while boxing.
I can take a lot of punishment.

That said.....boxing has not helped me deal with a dude who's as strong as an ox & takes me down to the ground.

This is why you can't be relying on boxing SKILLS to help you in the street. You aren't gonna stick & move, work off a jab, shoulder roll, counter, pace yourself....none of that.
If you have done these things & they've worked, I guarantee you are street fighting some really wmpy, pathetic guys.
You can only rely on the power, durability, & explosiveness that has been ETCHED into you.

I streetfight like a hockey player fights (minus the skates !).
I'll start out, hoping the guy wants to stand & trade...straight up.
But, odds are we're gonna get to some kind of grappling. If I can grapple, & stay up, I like to hold onto the guy (whatever I can grab)....& unload with the free hand. Boxing has helped me be ambidextrous with my punches, so I switch up & bang with whatever hand is free.

Boxerdog
10-27-2004, 09:57 AM
GOLLY!
Youse guys are scary, with the violence and the savagery and the
machismo....but mostly with the suffocating bullsh*t!! :D

I have done things in street fights ....and had them done to me that would make all of you run to mommy whimpering. :rolleyes:
The first time you heard the sound of bone and teeth breaking from a ballbat to the mouth, you would toss your ****ing cookies!
No shame in that....but don't talk fictional crap.

jabsRstiff
10-27-2004, 10:01 AM
GOLLY!

I have done things in street fights ....and had them done to me that would make all of you run to mommy whimpering. :rolleyes:
The first time you heard the sound of bone and teeth breaking from a ballbat to the mouth, you would toss your ****ing cookies!

LMAO.................

jabsRstiff
10-27-2004, 10:06 AM
GOLLY!

So.....other people on here are lying, but your stories should be believed....why , again ?

Oh, the animated boxing dog avatar, that's it !

Boxerdog
10-27-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm over a half century old bud....and really couldn't care less what some strangers on a message board think of me personally.
I just thought that some reality was overdue after hearing about all the sidestepping, and left hooks and powershots and neatly resolved battles that put the "badguy" in his place. (cue the herioc background music)
You don't need to believe SH*T but I've been around, Slim and know that in real life, in cases of assault if you are gonna try and defend yourself, no special skills are needed .....just the balls to do what needs to get done and get a little blood on your neatly pressed shirt. A touch of psychosis helps. AND....... Even then....the bad guy may very well beat the dog piss out of you if he has a bigger stick.

jabsRstiff
10-27-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm actually with you...on this topic, Boxerdog.

As I've stated....there's no way to "approach" a streetfight outside of just getting in there & letting it go....

elveiel
10-27-2004, 03:36 PM
I agree that all streetfights are different, but boxing helps a lot!! If someone has a tool your in trouble but you would be in more trouble if you didnt do boxing.

For me the average street fight starts on a night out, a wanna be thug has too much to drink and want some trouble, he wants to prove he's a hard man so he'll start a tough talking stand off. Dont talk back and as soon as he get in punching range just hit him under the chin.

If you cant punch or they have a tool dont be a afraid to run.

Fat Shamz
10-27-2004, 10:56 PM
I agree that all streetfights are different, but boxing helps a lot!! If someone has a tool your in trouble but you would be in more trouble if you didnt do boxing.

For me the average street fight starts on a night out, a wanna be thug has too much to drink and want some trouble, he wants to prove he's a hard man so he'll start a tough talking stand off. Dont talk back and as soon as he get in punching range just hit him under the chin.

If you cant punch or they have a tool dont be a afraid to run.

well sed...if my "karma" means anything, u got some...

bigtex
10-28-2004, 01:02 AM
look for stick next time

rsl
10-28-2004, 01:38 AM
I'm over a half century old bud....and really couldn't care less what some strangers on a message board think of me personally.
I just thought that some reality was overdue after hearing about all the sidestepping, and left hooks and powershots and neatly resolved battles that put the "badguy" in his place. (cue the herioc background music)
You don't need to believe SH*T but I've been around, Slim and know that in real life, in cases of assault if you are gonna try and defend yourself, no special skills are needed .....just the balls to do what needs to get done and get a little blood on your neatly pressed shirt. A touch of psychosis helps. AND....... Even then....the bad guy may very well beat the dog piss out of you if he has a bigger stick. I somewhat disagree. I mean it all depends on the individuals athletic ability and being able to execute is the bottom line. for example do you think some average joe schmoe who has been taking some type of martial arts tries to do those fancy kicks like in the movies out on the streets chances are he'll probably get taken down right away, but on the other hand if Bruce Lee were to bust those same kicks, he'll probably land and it would be good night for the other guy.

Boxerdog
10-28-2004, 02:04 AM
I somewhat disagree. I mean it all depends on the individuals athletic ability and being able to execute is the bottom line. for example do you think some average joe schmoe who has been taking some type of martial arts tries to do those fancy kicks like in the movies out on the streets chances are he'll probably get taken down right away, but on the other hand if Bruce Lee were to bust those same kicks, he'll probably land and it would be good night for the other guy.
You are guilty of believing every pile of **** Hollywood has told you.
I'm 5'11'', 235 lbs, with 20 inch biceps. Give me a club and send a 130 lb Bruce Lee to kick my ass.
My only problem would be with the police and the courts after I killed the little ****er.

rsl
10-28-2004, 02:18 AM
You are guilty of believing every pile of **** Hollywood has told you.
I'm 5'11'', 235 lbs, with 20 inch biceps. Give me a club and send a 130 lb Bruce Lee to kick my ass.
My only problem would be with the police and the courts after I killed the little ****er. Alright well I 'll just pack some heat to go against your golf club, and no it has nothing to do with kung fu flicks. Oh and regards to your comment about" beating Bruce Lee with a club" you would need one cause you wouldn't be able to beat him any other way so I suppose being 5'11 235 lbs. with 20inch of bullsh*t is better than having some world class reflexes.... Bro You watch too much WWE and Toughman competitions(lmao)

Boxerdog
10-28-2004, 02:34 AM
What?
No "nah,nah,nah BOO BOO"?? :rolleyes:
Puss!

rsl
10-28-2004, 02:40 AM
What?
No "nah,nah,nah BOO BOO"?? :rolleyes:
Puss! That's all you've got..... so a guy that's half a century old regresses to baby talk.....GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Boxerdog
10-28-2004, 02:45 AM
Just bustin' balls out of boredom, Junior. Try and get a grip.

jabsRstiff
10-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Do you all belivev everything you HEAR ?

I'm sure Bruce Lee can handle himself pretty damn well, but to assume he's super-bad , just because of a great deal of choreography & lots of TALK.....

Do you think Bruce could have handled any of the noteworthy guys in the world of MMA ?

I don't.

J !
10-28-2004, 10:03 AM
nice thread ive been chuckling away!

Simple rule for me really get your retaliation in first.
get in, do it get out and away. Thats the ****ing truth. :cool:

elveiel
10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
well sed...if my "karma" means anything, u got some...

Yes it does, thanks.

Dr.Pugilist
10-28-2004, 06:42 PM
'For me the average street fight starts on a night out, a wanna be thug has too much to drink and want some trouble, he wants to prove he's a hard man so he'll start a tough talking stand off. Dont talk back and as soon as he get in punching range just hit him under the chin.'

I agree completely with elveiel there. I was in way tooo many street fights as a teen, and was lucky enough to have taken years of Aikido as a youth which kept me from getting the shyte beat outta me . However, boxing was way more practical.

After learning only the rudiments of boxing, things were much easier. I have always been a skinny guy until recently so I've NEVER picked a fight. However, when things start going down hill in some verbal altercation you KNOW when there isn't going to be an easy way out. Boxing really helps out with that.

Two guys take my brother's phone and carkeys off the edge of a stage at a club. One guy says he hasn't seen them. The other says the same thing, but then the phone rings and lights up in his pocket (what a dumbass). My bro is about to strangle this guy, then his friend steps up to get invovled. Friend is 6'4" (I am 6') which actually makes things easier, since it's harder so a punhc coming from underneath you.. He shoves once, I right hook simultaneously directly on his chin/jawline. Instant sleep, slight twitching, but no severe injuries that I could discern. Phone and keys were instantly recovered from the other guy. No fight with him. Bouncers removed the two before the other guy even woke up lol.

Now I'm not a very good boxer, but the little skill I posess goes a loooong way with your average drunk dumbass at the bar.

acquitted
10-28-2004, 07:46 PM
last night this wanna be street thug seriously wanted to rob me for my gold chain with no gun. now i am 5'7 and he was 5'10 or 5'11 and he comes up grabs my neck and trys to pull my chain off. so i just jab him in the face, now my punching power in my jab is'nt strong yet so he just shook it off. so he rushed me and throws a few heymakers and i could'nt believe i block them all and then he threw a sloppy right punch i just duck to the left,and gave him a right hook to the body, left and right hook to the face and knee to the gut. he was done i ran away because i think the cops were coming. before boxing i used to just punch wildly with one hand with no type of skill ans now i am fighting smartly. thank god for boxing

ur lying..nobody "blocks" punches with their hands in real life...boxingsceners need to stop watching so many movies

elveiel
10-28-2004, 08:52 PM
ur lying..nobody "blocks" punches with their hands in real life...boxingsceners need to stop watching so many movies

I dont agree with that, its a lot harder to block shots without gloves on but its still possible. Its only worth blocking a jab though because its better to slip/duck any other shot! Who throws a jab in a street fight?

Some people do watch too many bruce movie and think that ****s real, i hate this kung fu/karate ****.

oldgringo
10-28-2004, 10:58 PM

I'm sure Bruce Lee can handle himself pretty damn well, but to assume he's super-bad , just because of a great deal of choreography & lots of TALK.....

Do you think Bruce could have handled any of the noteworthy guys in the world of MMA ?

I don't.

I believe Bruce Lee could beat some serious ass. Dude was as strong as a ****ing ox (bending iron bars straight up, 1-inch punching through walls, kicking heavybags relatively long distances). He had impecable control of his body and struck targets with great accuracy. I can certainly see him hitting a top notch MMA guy in the throat and ending that **** before it started.

oldgringo
10-28-2004, 11:02 PM

Yeah what the ****?? You don't block that **** unless you are like a 10th degree jeet kun do master or something. People do like to ham up their fight stories. Hell I've been in two fights...the first one the dude pulled a knife on me and stabbed me in the shoulder. I form tackled (speared) him and his head bounced off the concrete giving me 4 pretty clean, open blows to end that one. The second fight I got sucker punched, had a broken bone in my cheek...and choked that ****er out until he gave up.

Dr.Pugilist
10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Quite simply Bruce Lee would have OWNED most of the guys in his weight class or anywhere near in MMA. Hell he was one of the pioneers of MMA when you think about it. He spent years and years trying to combine eastern and western fighting arts. Go look at some MMA mathces with the lower weight classes and see how much slower the strikers are than Lee was.

I don't think it's accurate to assume he couldn't grapple because he didn't do a lot of it in his movies.

However, Lee up against a Randy Coutere or any of the top tier heavies wouldn't work out so well methinks.

Boxerdog
10-28-2004, 11:27 PM
One of my farts would knock the skinny ****er down.

boxer2k5
10-29-2004, 01:50 AM
all i do when i get in street fights is van damms jump spinning back kick. Its like 3 hits because as soon as i hit the guy it shows a replay 2 times.

Van damm would beat boxerdog old ass and everyone in MMA

but forreal there is no real sure thing way of winning a street fight because you never really know whats going to happen

when there is no rules, no set place your fighting in and no set number of oppoenents you dont know what can happen.

you can be the best fighter in the world and catch a cramp in you stomach or leg while fighting a midget and get your ass whooped

theres no time outs no rules no honer

having some skills can help you if the fight is even but no matter your skills if the odds can change against you or in your favor at anytime

Peace

rsl
10-29-2004, 04:41 AM

I don't.Going back to Bruce Lee, I was a big fan when I was growing up however I've had some reservations on how "great" Bruce Lee really was, after all we've never or I've never seen any footage of him fighting anyone, except for that demonstration of the 1 inch punch. Just basing it in his movies his reflexes were Roy Jonesque. The only thing the majority of us have to go on are the martial artists who had a chance to see Bruce Lee in action, now these martial artists that have spoken highly of Mr. Lee aren't some random students he taught but were "greats" in their own right, it's like Frazier, Liston, Foreman, etc. talking about how good Ali was. I mean pro athletes such as Kareem Abdul Jabbar would talk about Bruce's physical talent as something out of this world and coming from Jabbar who has faced some of the greatest athletes the world has seen such as Dr. J, Magic Johnson...etc. It's hard to argue with these particular people who have accomplished alot themselves.. Now as far as the question about if Bruce Lee can handle the MMA guys, well who in the hell in their right minds would go up against a 250lbs gorilla on roids when they themselves is standing 5'7 and weighing 135lbs. soak and wet. But if you put Bruce Lee against guys around his size who is a mix martial artist or more specifically a grappler hell yeah chances are Bruce Lee would come out on top, the disparity in talent would be too much. I think Pound -per- Pound Bruce Lee is 50 million times more talented than any of the big name stars of MMA.

leff
10-29-2004, 09:29 AM

I don't.

He was a moviestar fore gods sake, the little bugger would get murdered in a k1, ufc or boxing match.

Dr.Pugilist
10-29-2004, 04:54 PM
He was a fighter first , and an 'actor' second. Lee could brawl, but he was also very small. P4P he would own most MMA today, with weight classes. He was a physical freak, immensely strong for his size and very very fast. i have no doubt with the years and years he spent in all kinds of martial arts(not just kung-fu), he could handle most of the little guys in MMA and K1 today. .....the bigger guys are a different story....

blockburna944
10-29-2004, 08:58 PM
I don't know if it adds much to the topic, but when Bruce Lee was fighting the big white guy in that tournament in "Enter the Dragon", the kick that sent the guy flying was completely real. I guess they had bad blood after the guy actually cut Lee's hand in the scene that involved the broken bottle (which was filmed before the kick), so that would be a true demnonstration of his power. Also, in that movie when he catches the cobra with his bare hands, that really happened too (they devenomed the cobra though).

Boxerdog
10-30-2004, 02:35 AM
You know that scene in "Wizard of Oz" with the flying monkey boys?

Totally happened, dude!

rsl
10-30-2004, 01:36 PM
You know that scene in "Wizard of Oz" with the flying monkey boys?

Totally happened, dude!How can you completely discredit Bruce Lee or the other great martial artists, although I agree that most of the stuff you see in the movies will not work out in the streets and I don't think that Bruce Lee, Billy Blanks, etc. would actually use those fancy moves if they were actually in a real situation. For you to believe that what you see in the movies is how these guys would actually fight in the streets then you are just out of touch. But I'll agree that some of these celebrity martial artists are probably crappy fighters and that's because they never really focused on the full contact aspect of it but more on the art like forms competition also known as katas

bigdlb12
10-30-2004, 01:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/1982cutlass/oldsgirl_small.gif :)

chilly9876
10-30-2004, 06:40 PM
i used to think most these kung fu guys like bruce lee were amazing until i watched ufc...havent you guys seen all them 10 dan unbeaten kung fu dudes come on ufc and get owned???

lsk
11-07-2004, 05:31 PM
only street fight i have had after i started boxing was of 5-7 guys and i was really drunk. I got beat up 4 stiches under the eye and alot of sweling in the face

elveiel
11-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Whats all this **** about Bruce Lee??

I was once told that Bruce Lee would KO Lennox Lewis with a 2 inch punch!! what the hells a two inch punch, Bruce Lee probably had a 2 inch prick but thats about it!! LMFAO!!! :p

Get serious, i used to do kickboxing(san shou=like boxing with a couple of kicks) and we shared a gym with these Kung Fu dudes so we did a bit of mixed sparring with them, at 16(first sparring sessions with them) i owned them all, they were blokes and i was a kid, they were black belts and i didnt even have a belt! all the kickboxers just beat them up every week.

Invader_Stu
11-08-2004, 11:34 PM
I dont know that much about Bruce Lee, but I used to learn Tai Kwon Do. I know everyone here is a boxing fan, and some of you hate that 'martial arts ****', but the Instructor at my gym had been to the Olympics and so had his wife. He was this really cool Korean guy, anyways there is no way in hell I would want to take this guy on in a street fight. Whether you won or lost you'd have your hands full. He was so quick in self-defense etc. literally before you had a chance to move you were on the ground going 'wtf happened'. He used to tell us about his hardcore training in Korea and how he used to 'chop' his hand into a pigs stomach and rib out the guts for street entertainment etc. Pretty cool hehe.

That said, thankfully I've never been in a street fight, although I want to take up kickboxing for the fitness and confidence. Just so if some addict ever hassled me I could at least defend myself.

elveiel
11-09-2004, 06:54 AM
I dont know that much about Bruce Lee, but I used to learn Tai Kwon Do. I know everyone here is a boxing fan, and some of you hate that 'martial arts ****', but the Instructor at my gym had been to the Olympics and so had his wife. He was this really cool Korean guy, anyways there is no way in hell I would want to take this guy on in a street fight. Whether you won or lost you'd have your hands full. He was so quick in self-defense etc. literally before you had a chance to move you were on the ground going 'wtf happened'. He used to tell us about his hardcore training in Korea and how he used to 'chop' his hand into a pigs stomach and rib out the guts for street entertainment etc. Pretty cool hehe.

That said, thankfully I've never been in a street fight, although I want to take up kickboxing for the fitness and confidence. Just so if some addict ever hassled me I could at least defend myself.

Yeah, some martial arts fighters would be good in street fighting(against non trained people), but i'd bet if that Korean dude did boxing or Muay Thai he'd be a lot more effective.

If you want to take up Kickboxing thats cool, i'd recommend boxing because your more likely to find a good coach, there are a lot of dumb ass kickboxing instrutors who just earn a black belt and think they can teach. Having a black belt is only useful if you want to show off or intend to strangle your opponent with it.

If you do decide to do Kickboxing for self defence i'd suggest only using low leg kicks and adopt the punching style of a boxer. i once watch a lad try a high kick in a street fight and fell over, LMAO!! i'd probably suggest Muay Thai(good use of elbows and kicks) but it can lead to future problems and they cant punch for ****.

chilly9876
11-09-2004, 11:37 AM
True say about black belts meaning nothing,if you want to learn how to be a kik azz fighter,i suggest you do the following...
Take muay thai twice a week for 2 months,then do boxing twice a week and muay thai once a week.
After a few months add some sort of ground fighting class.
Do muay thai one day,boxing one day and ground fighting one day every week. You probably wont be excellent at any of them but all around you'll be very good.
I had a friend who used to do similar,he used to take a range of classes like i mentioned above. The guy was amazing what ever position he was in he'd fnd some sort of attack be it a kick elbow punch or hold. This guy once owned three guys at once.

leff
11-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Muay thai is great for streetfighting cause its dirty, id say with som jiu jitsu would be the perfect combination.

Kicks,punces,knees,elbows,headbut,grappling and other dirty but useful technics youd learn them all.

Dyl-G
12-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Just Thought I Would Revive Some Old Good Threads For Some Newcomers

Dkknight
12-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Martial arts is not practical in a street fight, unless you incorporate an art that uses lots of grappling moves and holds. A good base martial art is Wing Chun. Good for close fighting and teaches you how to get an opponent to the floor.

But as a few people mentioned, you should try and do EVERYTHING to avoid a fight. People nowadays will just shoot you or stab you or hit you with something. Fighting is dirty so don't expect someone to box you. Its best to avoid confrontation at all costs. Don't try and be Superman. You don't need to prove your manhood to anyone by bucking up to someone. Always defend yourself of course, but try to avoid a fight at all costs.

leff
12-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Martial arts is not practical in a street fight, unless you incorporate an art that uses lots of grappling moves and holds. A good base martial art is Wing Chun. Good for close fighting and teaches you how to get an opponent to the floor.

But as a few people mentioned, you should try and do EVERYTHING to avoid a fight. People nowadays will just shoot you or stab you or hit you with something. Fighting is dirty so don't expect someone to box you. Its best to avoid confrontation at all costs. Don't try and be Superman. You don't need to prove your manhood to anyone by bucking up to someone. Always defend yourself of course, but try to avoid a fight at all costs.

Ofcourse your supossed to avoid them but sometimes you dont realy have an option, i box activ and ive also done some kickboxing and jiu-jitsu,thats a great combination.

If its tasnding fights (which is how a fight useally begin im good) and if ends upp on the ground which also is the useall way i know what to do there to.

And im sorry to say so but wing chu, karate, kung fu and tae kwon do suck ass.

Boxing, kickboxing, muay thai and jiu jitsu is based on being effective, not to be beatifull.

Fistecles
01-03-2005, 10:21 AM
if you ducked to the left then you would have had to throw a left hook to the body. :confused:
You would throw a left hoo against another boxer. But this guy was throwing sloppy punches. Its open season.

Fistecles
01-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Lets not use Bruce Lee's name in vain. I fyou know anything of the man, you know that he had the most respect for american boxing. So many of his techniiques were based on boxing movement and strikes. Dr. Pugilist said it perfectly. He hit the guy right on his jaw at the jaw line. Took his man down. Thats the boxers mentality in a street fight doing its job. As for boxerdog taking down bruce with a bat. Bruce Lee grew up beating and getting beaten by people in hong kong. I believe mostly with british people. You think noone ever came after him with a stick?

- Evil -
01-03-2005, 02:24 PM
An elbow in a street fight can very effective.

leff
01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
An elbow in a street fight can very effective.

Yes and so is a frying pan

cms
01-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Yes and so is a frying pan
lol yes true, a lot of street fights end up with a bottle over a head or a chair or just a simple stab or shot avoid all of this with communication ppl :)

Toller
01-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Yeah you don't know when someone's gonna pull out a knife or 10 of the other guys mates are gonna jump in, or if he's just one hard mother****er who's gonna put you in hospital.

That said, the only time I was involved in a street type fight (although I actually didn't do anything) was about 6 months ago when I was queuing up with a couple of mates in a kebab shop at about 2am when some drunk tosser looks at us and says some kind of abuse & put his hands up gesturing a fight. Before I even had time to comprehend what was going on, my housemate hit him right on the lips with a straight right hand, busting his lips up. At that he turned around, went to sit down, ate his kebab and then left. ****ing HILARIOUS it was! (although mate ended up having to go to hospital the next day to see if his hand was broken, which it wasn't)

Dude
01-13-2005, 11:30 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Boxing may help you but it is far from being the most effective art in a street fight. If you fight some untrained bum without weapons it doesnt matter. But if you mixed it up with a BJJ, WT or JKD practician you're lost. Because these are fighting arts created for realistic street fights.

Dyl-G
01-14-2005, 12:10 AM
what do those stand for?

Dude
01-14-2005, 12:20 AM
BJJ = Brazilian Ju-Jitsu
WT = Wing Tsun, Wing Chun, Ving Tsun etc.
JKD = Jeet Kune Do

ophqui
01-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Boxer v non-boxer can be dangerous for both. Having expiriance of dealing with boxers can help yeah, but non-boxers come at u from weird angles sometimes, can be difficult to deal with. I try not to fight on the street for the simple reason that u dnt know whats gonna happen. I mean, even if u win the guys crew could come after u the next day and ur in trouble, or someone could pull a knife on u.
Fists are my last resort if running or talking arent viable options, although having said that i seem a lot more inclined to fight since i started muay thai

jayrichardse
01-17-2005, 12:32 AM
i fought one dude at school arter lunchtime he came at me very wild so he threw a right I backed up them hit him with a left jab and right hand he fell and the security came and broke it up

buff_mike10
01-25-2005, 12:48 AM
If your a boxer don't get into a street fight. Why take a chance at breaking your hand? And for the guy bragging about having 20" arms, take a look at Mike Tysons arms. They are only 16", and he'd knock you halfway into the NEXT century.

SonnyG8R
01-25-2005, 01:24 PM
One of my farts would knock the skinny ****er (Bruce Lee) down.

So Boxerdog, your arguement is that size and weight is what matters, not skill, knowledge, ability, refexes and speed? Is that right.

So a big 6'3" fatass hick could easily kill a 5'7" 150 pound martial arts expert?

I'm not trying to start ****, I'm just trying to understand your arguement.

Reminds me of all the people who think LL is the greatest HW ever strictly because of his size.

Personally my money would be on the speed and the skill over the weight, but that's just me.

SonnyG8R
01-25-2005, 01:46 PM
As for the topic of this thread, if they chioce is going into a brawl with some boxing skills or going in without, I think the choice is obvious. I'm not saying boxing skills are going to save you, probably not, but the certainly couldn't hurt. And if the guy comes at you flailing away, thinking he can take you just because he's bigger, then the skills could make the difference.

Ivansmamma
01-25-2005, 06:42 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Boxing may help you but it is far from being the most effective art in a street fight. If you fight some untrained bum without weapons it doesnt matter. But if you mixed it up with a BJJ, WT or JKD practician you're lost. Because these are fighting arts created for realistic street fights.

I disagree. BJJ guys just traines takedowns and rolling on the ground, You have a good chance to KO them before they get a hold of you, most BJJ guys i know ain't to skilled at blocking a punch. Not saying it would be an easy fight but you certainely got a good chance.

As for the Wing Tsun guys, i haven't meet any but other kung fu practioners i meet haven't been any self defence masters.

As for the JKD practioners, two of my freinds train in JKD and when they sparr they use safety gear comparable to an icehockey players, they have never felt how it is to take a real hit and would most likely be knocked out or shocked.

My own experience is that Punching hard and fast is the most important thing in an self defence situation.

buff_mike10
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
So Boxerdog, your arguement is that size and weight is what matters, not skill, knowledge, ability, refexes and speed? Is that right.

So a big 6'3" fatass hick could easily kill a 5'7" 150 pound martial arts expert?

I'm not trying to start ****, I'm just trying to understand your arguement.

Reminds me of all the people who think LL is the greatest HW ever strictly because of his size.

Personally my money would be on the speed and the skill over the weight, but that's just me.

Couldn't have said it better myself