View Full Version : Training with a cold

Ell
02-09-2008, 07:57 AM
The last few days I've been really bunged up with a cold, snotty nose, sneezing, headaches the works. With this I haven't really done as much training as usual, firstly because I don't feel up to it but secondly because I always hear that training with a cold can cause problems health wise.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the disadvantages of training with a cold are and what health problems it can cause.

Thanks in advance,
Ell

P4PKING_2008
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM
The last few days I've been really bunged up with a cold, snotty nose, sneezing, headaches the works. With this I haven't really done as much training as usual, firstly because I don't feel up to it but secondly because I always hear that training with a cold can cause problems health wise.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the disadvantages of training with a cold are and what health problems it can cause.

Thanks in advance,
Ell

It wouldn't so much disadvantage ya but it will cause your breathing to become harder. But if I was you I would lay off the roadwork a bit or wrap up well. With a cold you won't be able to function to your best and by pushing yourself harder could cause injury. If I was you i'd lay off for a week.

Ell
02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
It wouldn't so much disadvantage ya but it will cause your breathing to become harder. But if I was you I would lay off the roadwork a bit or wrap up well. With a cold you won't be able to function to your best and by pushing yourself harder could cause injury. If I was you i'd lay off for a week.

Yes that's what I'm planning to do, a week or however long it takes me to get back to at least 95%. I'm going to keep doing low rep stuff, press ups, crunches, chin ups etc. but nothing too strenuous.

sukhenkoy
02-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah I would take a week off of the intense training. I've had a week for about 2 weeks now, and it hasn't fully gone away because I've done intense training during those 2 weeks. It's hard for me to just take it easy because I'm the type of person that thinks all will go down the ****ter if I take it easy for more than 1 day.

USCowboyHC
02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Yea basically what they said. Pushups, situps, etc. is best no reason to train if your not healthy.

moin126
02-09-2008, 09:01 PM
never train with a cold.

lilaznjoker
02-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah I would take a week off of the intense training. I've had a week for about 2 weeks now, and it hasn't fully gone away because I've done intense training during those 2 weeks. It's hard for me to just take it easy because I'm the type of person that thinks all will go down the ****ter if I take it easy for more than 1 day.

exactly. same with me

Ell
02-10-2008, 06:19 AM
never train with a cold.

Care to ellaborate on that answer?

msagrain
02-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Care to ellaborate on that answer?

training with a cold just ****s you up even more ...... even when you think its gone have a few days of after still.

danny stash
02-10-2008, 10:32 AM
never train with a cold.
wrong...

You should never over exhert yourself...

Go on a treadmill for a half an hour or so, set the incline up and walk it to get a nice sweat going. Good for body to sweat out toxins when sick, bad to over exhert yourself.

moin126
02-10-2008, 12:58 PM
wrong...

You should never over exhert yourself...

Go on a treadmill for a half an hour or so, set the incline up and walk it to get a nice sweat going. Good for body to sweat out toxins when sick, bad to over exhert yourself.

I think its better to let your body recover, then punish your body adequatly.
walking on the treadmill doesnt sound like training. And your talking about it in a recovery context.

Training with a cold, is stupid. But honestly i dont care, its your body.
Train all you want.

dfwtx
02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
go to the doctor and get prescribed an antibiotic, anti hystimine etc. i had the same thing, nasonex works great

moin126
02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Got to the docter and follow his advice, not some random poster giving you a prescription.

youngfamous313
02-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Ill tell you this, I live in michigan where its freezing and I have trained with bad colds and my motto is "SWEAT IT OUT"

However if you can live with another mans willingness to train under any circumstance while ure in your bed feeling sorry for yaself....

then don't train....

This is a warriors sport! Do you think if Alexander the Great had a cold that he didn't get on the battlefield the next day and tear heads the **** off to solidify his place in history???

well.....

Salty
02-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I just had to have a week off work as of a bad virus which resulted in two weeks away from the gym, first time back today and i struggled big time, but feel a lot better afterwards. I say let your body recover otherwise you will just stay sick for longer.

Kayo
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
When im sick i'l train on my own do my roadwork, do my push ups sit ups bodyweight squats and pull ups but i wont go to the gym because everyone hates the guy who goes and passes it around to everyone