View Full Version : Boxing and muscle

SugarShanep4p
02-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Is it possible to be an effective boxer and not have that much muscle? I mean look at guys like Tito Trinidad and kelly pavlik, epically pavlik being a knockout artist, I was just wondering if their both great fighters and don't have that much arm strength then is it really necessary to have it? What about in amateur boxing where the point isn't to score a KO just to score points?

Rob Pilger
02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Yes... Pavlik punches with great leverage and Tito did too with his left hook. The power is not in the arms it come from the legs, core, lats, they deliver the most power.

The power is in the mechanics/technique and the intention ( attitude ).

Just because a guy is jacked doesn't mean ****. The cns ( central nervous system, brain ) thinks in terms of movements, not muscle. So if a fighter is really jacked, the question is, is the cns educated/trained in terms of moving with power?

Rob Piger
www.boxingperformance.com
www.theultimateboxingworkout.com

BrooklynBomber
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Yup, Sugar Ray Robinson, Tommy Hearns and Julian Jackson would all agree.

aussieboxer2320
02-08-2008, 06:03 AM
haha doesnt mean if your ripped all over if you dont have good technique you'll still throw punches like an 8 yr old lol i know guys my age (13/14) that are huge and muscly and **** and they can lift alot but i can still hit harder and better than all of em