View Full Version : sparring gear: grant, winning, reyes, or rival ??

punchDrUnK MONK
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
i need a headgear and sparring gloves 16 ounce..

i like the grant n winning headgears.. kinda pricey...

and the grant and reyes sparring gloves are nice..

also rival has good looking sparring gloves and headgear looks not bad either..

what would u all recommend.. anyone have experience with ordering from winning or ringside.com

shipping a ***** with any of em ?

boxingsmash69
02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
i like the everlast pro training gloves and ringside international training gloves.

try ebay first

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?sofocus=bs&satitle=ringside+international&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC5&dfsp=1&sofindtype=0&from=R7&nojspr=y&pfid=0&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fcl=3&frpp=50

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=everlast+professional&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&srchdesc=n&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

boxingsmash69
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM
and i like the title traditional headgear:

http://store.titleboxing.com/thgt.html

4GvnSnr
02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I REALLY like the winning headgear...so much so that I'm buying their sparring gloves also..

VBoxer
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
man, i love RINGSIDE. I have all my gear from them. i get my things shipped to me in a day or too. I have never tried Winning or Grant so I can't say too much about them.
I love my Ringside IMF Tech gloves: i love ones for bag and ones for training. I bought my headgear from there, and it feels great. they also have live help, and the people actually know what they are talking about too ....

skilgannon
02-09-2008, 06:15 AM
do yourself a big favor and get the winning headgear. dont be cheap when it comes to protecting your head. get the best for that. many people say when they get hit when wearing a winning headgear, they can barely feel the punch. I strongly agree

Pound 4 Pound
02-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Winning stuff is the best

Kayo
02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
i like my rival headgear so far its been amazing

big paulie
02-09-2008, 02:19 PM
For protection you wont beat Winning, for comfort go for Grant. If your in the UK your looking at over 250 for headguard/gloves combo plus shipping for Winning

robjr
02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
if money isnt an issue.. winning is top notch.. grant is a close 2nd..

boxing4ever
02-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Grant grant grant grant grant

Chewcan
02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I feel the most important sparring gear piece is your mouth guard, then followed by headgear, then gloves.

Mouthguard - http://www.boxingmouthpiecedoctor.com/ Go with a custom fitted guard. A split lip or a torn gum on a cheap $5.00 plastic thermo molded guard can keep you out for 2 months. Rudy Tellez will hook you up with the perfect guard and it is worth every penny you spend on it.

Headgear - I have Winning, I got the FG-2900 which is great, the Grant HG looks to be comparable, otherwise the Titan Mexican Style HG from Ringside is what one guy from my gym wears and it looks as if is comparable to my Winning, just way more affordable.

For gloves, I found the Grants very large and bulky. I ended up returning them. I found that I liked the Ringside RP-E training gloves the best for sparring out of anything that I have worn. My club requires 16oz gloves.

kenny91
02-10-2008, 07:27 PM
go crazy and buy some everlast pro's !

skilgannon
02-11-2008, 01:28 AM
for protection, nothing can beat the winning headgear (stated in my previous post) and the gloves. THe gloves are not as cool looking as grants or cletos but the protection is multiples better. I usually get knuckle oain when I hit hard and often for an entended duration but not with the winning gloves. 180" mexican handwraps + winning 16 oz training glove+indestructible hand. but if you wanna get gloves only for sparring and dont plan to use it to hit bags/pads, you dont need a winning glove as any other will suffice. it is good for your partner but I wouldnt spend 200+ for a glove I only use for sparring as my hand does not usually get hurt during sparring.

skilgannon
02-11-2008, 01:30 AM
has anyone tried the grant professional headgear? how is it specifically and is it comparable to the winning headgear? I hear top ten headgear is a great headgear that absorbs the shock of most blows better than many other bands.

boxingsmash69
02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
for protection, nothing can beat the winning headgear (stated in my previous post) and the gloves. THe gloves are not as cool looking as grants or cletos but the protection is multiples better. I usually get knuckle oain when I hit hard and often for an entended duration but not with the winning gloves. 180" mexican handwraps + winning 16 oz training glove+indestructible hand. but if you wanna get gloves only for sparring and dont plan to use it to hit bags/pads, you dont need a winning glove as any other will suffice. it is good for your partner but I wouldnt spend 200+ for a glove I only use for sparring as my hand does not usually get hurt during sparring.

hand protection is a must. i use the ringside imf tech training gloves in 16oz, with a Title fist guard underneath mexican handwraps.

http://store.titleboxing.com/fg.html

i'd love to try the fistguard/handwrap combination with winning gloves.

Talon
02-11-2008, 09:44 PM
reyes gloves are ****. they arent even 'punchers gloves' anymore because they changed the padding inside.. they are very uncomfortable and hard, not good for your hands. i'd rather use $20 everlast from the sporting goods store

boxingsmash69
02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
reyes gloves are ****. they arent even 'punchers gloves' anymore because they changed the padding inside.. they are very uncomfortable and hard, not good for your hands. i'd rather use $20 everlast from the sporting goods store

the new ones with the "Cleto Reyes" logo are really that bad compared to the ones with the old "Hecho en Mehico" logo?

Pound 4 Pound
02-11-2008, 10:25 PM
has anyone tried the grant professional headgear? how is it specifically and is it comparable to the winning headgear? I hear top ten headgear is a great headgear that absorbs the shock of most blows better than many other bands.

the top ten headgear is way too thin to absorb a ton of the blow. It does a good job for how thin it is. It is so comfortable and wide open I forget im wearing it.

the grant stuff isn't as good as winning but maybe better value

fraidycat
02-11-2008, 10:46 PM
+1 on the Rival headgear. If you have the dough, get the Winning headgear; if you don't, the Rival headgear is great.

Search for my review of it on this site.

skilgannon
02-11-2008, 11:07 PM
how were the old reyes gloves? I have only used the newer ones so I wouldnt know how the old ones were. Some poeple like the new ones but still prefer the older ones. so the top ten headgears are a no no? Also, when you wrap mexican wraps over the fist guard doesnt it make your hand kinda tight after you put it on the glove?

BobbyDigital
02-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Just like another fellow member said if winning is not an issue I would go with Winning Head Gear and Gloves best of the best , Everlast is decent , Reyes is the punchers glove I would only recommend Gloves for Reyes , Everlast Head Gear is good , But Winning is the way to go and as for Boxing Shoes I would go with Mizuno

BobbyDigital
02-12-2008, 01:12 AM
correction on previous comment if "MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE"

boxingsmash69
02-12-2008, 01:33 AM
how were the old reyes gloves? I have only used the newer ones so I wouldnt know how the old ones were. Some poeple like the new ones but still prefer the older ones. so the top ten headgears are a no no? Also, when you wrap mexican wraps over the fist guard doesnt it make your hand kinda tight after you put it on the glove?

well, that's what i was worried about at first.

but, i dont wrap around the fist/knuckles because the fistguard provides good enough protection, and i dont want too much wrap material bunched up under the palms, that would make it hard to make a fist.

after putting on the fistguard, i use a mexican-style handwrap to wrap only the thumbs/wrists. (not just the bending part of the wrist, i spread it so it goes a few inches going towards the elbows)

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7036/ohitsasolidwrapnl7.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3401/almostlikeacastgj7.jpg

James78
02-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I recently bought some Lonsdale super spar gloves, man they're so sweet I can punch walls full power and barely feel a thing

JSizzle
02-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Grant Boxing Gloves are by far the best glove on the market.
Nike Air RJJ Boxing Shoes
Grant Foul Protecter
Windy City Headgear
Shock Dr. Mouthpiece
BALLS!

Thats all you need!

JSizzle

skilgannon
02-15-2008, 12:22 AM
[LIST]
Grant Boxing Gloves are by far the best glove on the market.

JSizzle

are they? what other brands have you used? how are they compared to the older, better reyes gloves?