View Full Version : Pro with no amateur fights

joshtyra
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
A guy from my town just went pro. He is said to have no amateur fights. Can you do this? He is 2-0 with 1 KO. I was just curious.

4GvnSnr
02-05-2008, 05:46 PM
you can if you want to...but for most it's probably not a good idea

P4PKING_2008
02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
David Banks had no amateur experience. So yeah you can.

fraidycat
02-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I can see how it's possible. . . although there's not enough beer in the world to make that sound like a good idea to me.

warp1432
02-05-2008, 07:33 PM

And look how that turned out.

juggernautburn
02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
And look how that turned out.

understandable, but look at audley harrison and kirk johnson who had extensive amateur backgrounds and didn't go anywhere. of course an amateur experience can improve anyone, but it doesn't guarantee success. going pro before the amateurs give you even less chance of success based on statistics that i have not studied, but am assuming. but a pro can be successful without amateur experience if he has a good head on his shoulders and has physical gifts to which not many men are his equal.

dfwtx
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
understandable, but look at audley harrison and kirk johnson who had extensive amateur backgrounds and didn't go anywhere. of course an amateur experience can improve anyone, but it doesn't guarantee success. going pro before the amateurs give you even less chance of success based on statistics that i have not studied, but am assuming. but a pro can be successful without amateur experience if he has a good head on his shoulders and has physical gifts to which not many men are his equal.

it certainly isnt negative though, tszyu had around 250 am wins (correct me if im wrong) and he did big things. but your right am fights are not required but its rare to see them not happen in a boxers background.

PunchDrunk
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
understandable, but look at audley harrison and kirk johnson who had extensive amateur backgrounds and didn't go anywhere.

I'd rather win Olympic gold and go nowhere as a pro, than just turn pro off the street and go nowhere... I'm also pretty sure Audley got paid a hell of a lot better for going nowhere than David Banks did.

punchDrUnK MONK
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
ya wow ppl think they can handle it.. but if u dont realize once u spar thats its a bad idea.. then u will end up like david banks did.

Swellbo
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
oh and man did david banks get LAID OUT or what?!

Swellbo
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Man, did david banks get LAID OUT or what!?

boxing4ever
02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.fightreport.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/edison-miranda_david-banks.gif

robjr
02-06-2008, 01:59 AM
yep.. anyone can turn pro at any time.. aslong as pass physical anyone can step in those ropes..

which is good cuz those guys make great tune ups early in career... haha

Dice
02-06-2008, 03:12 AM
I don't kno if its that easy tho. Because wen I did my research, I read that athletic commisions want to see your fights before you go pro so if you don't have any, I wonder how they convince the commision to let them fight

joshtyra
02-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the answers...I just didnt know if the athletic commissions let you. I was wondering how he did it. Thanks guys

His name is James Freeman...You can find him on Texas Slugfest

nedcmk1
02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Julio Chavez Jr no ammies...

danny stash
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
get out....really???

-Hyperion-
02-06-2008, 11:44 AM
lol you guys make fun fun of bankks like he got layed out by a bum in the streets.......his only losses up to miranda were to manfredo and that african guy with tons of amateur expeience......

and he was outboxing miranda up til the KO punch.....

anyway, yeah i hear its just a physiscal exam to turn pro...

P4PKING_2008
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
lol you guys make fun fun of bankks like he got layed out by a bum in the streets.......his only losses up to miranda were to manfredo and that african guy with tons of amateur expeience......

and he was outboxing miranda up til the KO punch.....

anyway, yeah i hear its just a physiscal exam to turn pro...

Thanks man. I mean he is no bum. He has been on the contender ffs. He has made a lot of money all from no experience. Not bad acheivemnt at all. Plus he was with the next middleweight champion of the world in Miranda. People really need to think before they post on here!

robjr
02-06-2008, 09:41 PM
agreed.. for short time banks been boxing and no am experience. he is very successful.

dfwtx
02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the answers...I just didnt know if the athletic commissions let you. I was wondering how he did it. Thanks guys

His name is James Freeman...You can find him on Texas Slugfest

wow holy **** i went to that haha, fort worth colliseum, do you know what weight class he fought in, i may remember him

youngfamous313
02-07-2008, 05:14 AM

Correct @ Chavez Jr. with no ammies....

I mean I have no intention of going pro without first fighting AM but, lets be serious for all of us who train. I've been to an AM match and watched competition that COULDNT match my day to day sparring partners. So who's to say that a person going pro without an AM career hasn't had harder "sparring" than a person goin pro that faught in amatuers! Are you saying that your gym wars aren't tougher than a punk ass AM fight? lol, all I'm saying is that if you spar enuff it definately equals and AM career. Check out Chavez Jr (even tho his career has been CAREFULY constructed lol)

just my oppinion....don't slay me!!...I just think amatuers is just for seasoning you a little more and for accolades, but who says you can't get the same seasoning from sparring....again JUSTTT MY OPINION...

iron_boy
02-07-2008, 05:45 AM
anthony mundine has had no amature fights and his going pretty good

rebmogul
02-07-2008, 06:02 AM
A guy from my town just went pro. He is said to have no amateur fights. Can you do this? He is 2-0 with 1 KO. I was just curious.
julio chavez jr has done it so far. but, unless you have a team and managment like he does, forget it......

rebmogul
02-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Correct @ Chavez Jr. with no ammies....

I mean I have no intention of going pro without first fighting AM but, lets be serious for all of us who train. I've been to an AM match and watched competition that COULDNT match my day to day sparring partners. So who's to say that a person going pro without an AM career hasn't had harder "sparring" than a person goin pro that faught in amatuers! Are you saying that your gym wars aren't tougher than a punk ass AM fight? lol, all I'm saying is that if you spar enuff it definately equals and AM career. Check out Chavez Jr (even tho his career has been CAREFULY constructed lol)

just my oppinion....don't slay me!!...I just think amatuers is just for seasoning you a little more and for accolades, but who says you can't get the same seasoning from sparring....again JUSTTT MY OPINION...
many fighters with little to no AM experience will get thru several, and some, quite a few fights unscathed, as long as they are matched right, but once they step up the competition, forget it.....

joshtyra
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
wow holy **** i went to that haha, fort worth colliseum, do you know what weight class he fought in, i may remember him

He was a middleweight...He KO'd the guy in the 4th round...broke his nose...he is tall and lanky

aussieboxer2320
02-08-2008, 05:17 AM
umm sparring definitly isnt anything like a real fight, physically maybe but psychologically? hell no