View Full Version : Beginner - questions & advice

James_Jm
02-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Hiya everyone,

I'm James & I'm 16. I found your forum on google & it looked the best with the most members so I joined up. I'm from England so wasnt to happy about Hatton getting beat :ugh:

Oh well, anyway, I've spoken to a local boxer near me who runs a club & have aranged to go down & have a look about on Mondays training session & hopefully get training myself on Wednesday. He said not to train the first time, just make sure I want to start & like what I see.

I've done some MMA training so know to keep my chin down & keep my guard up. I wasnt to bad at sparing (most of the time it was using boxing gloves & head & body shots) so have a bit of boxing experience. I reall enjoyed it but it's 6 miles away right after school so I was struggling to get there to have a decent time to train. I was comefortable with jab's & straights but wasnt great at hooks & body shots, especially when trying to keep a guard up.

The boxing classes are later in the evenings which suit me alot better and one of my mates is coming along as well.

I'm nearly 6' 1" & have quite a long reach which should help me a bit hopefully.

I've always had weak wrists which brings me onto my first question. At MMA when using the heavyer bags I often hurt my wrists & had to stop, only for a few seconds whilst rotating it a bit but still, it would be better if I didnt have to do it.

Is there anything that you can do to strengthen them up, I have heard people talking about doing push upswith clenched fists?

Also, is there any difference between types of gloves, I mean are training gloves different to gloves that you would use in a fight?

Hand wraps, boxing boots & gum shields, are these needed at first or are they only for in fights, eg, would you wear them in training?

I think the club has everything that is needed but I'm trying to do some research & work out how much it will cost me about when I need to buy it all. So if anyone has ideas how much everything I would need will set me back then I would appreciate it. Also if I have missed anything off.

Sorry for all the questions but I dont know much about the actual training side of boxing.

Thanks alot
James

:boxing:

punchDrUnK MONK
02-02-2008, 04:29 PM
6 miles away ouchhh. isnt there any closer ??

P4PKING_2008
02-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Firstly, welcome man.

You can't really strengthen your wrists as there isn't much muscle in them. If your wrists are hurting its because your not punching correctly.

Pushups with clenched fists are mainly for strengthening your knuckles making them bigger and harder.

Most people have training gloves like for bags and pads etc. Then separate ones for sparring usually heavier and bigger. You get given some for the fights.

I only have a gum shield and boots you won't really need the hand wraps unless you really have britle hands. Your gloves should have a lot of padding anyway.

Hope this answered everything for ya man.

Where you from?

West24
02-02-2008, 04:40 PM
you dont use handwraps? thats dumb you should always use handwraps.

James_Jm
02-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Firstly, welcome man.

You can't really strengthen your wrists as there isn't much muscle in them. If your wrists are hurting its because your not punching correctly.

Pushups with clenched fists are mainly for strengthening your knuckles making them bigger and harder.

Most people have training gloves like for bags and pads etc. Then separate ones for sparring usually heavier and bigger. You get given some for the fights.

I only have a gum shield and boots you won't really need the hand wraps unless you really have britle hands. Your gloves should have a lot of padding anyway.

Hope this answered everything for ya man.

Where you from?

I'm from cumbria up in the north, boardering Scotland.

It's only a little village so this is the closest for me. It's a 7:30 for the boxing so bus times are alot better for me than having to get one straight after school, run accross town & arrive 30 minutes late each day for the MMA Training. Bus stop is right outside at the Boxing as well. Plus it's free so I can save a bit more money.

I probably was punching wrong then, it was mainly when hitting a bit further down the bag practising body shots which I was never any good at anyway.

I hated the Grappling mits as well, absolutly srpped my knuckles to shreds until I started wrapping them with tape, got big purple circular scars now on some, along with the countless burns off pans from my old washing up job their a bit battered lol. May need some form of wrap to make sure this doesnt happen again.

You get gloves for the fight? Suppose that makes sence in a way to make sure they are OK & fit with requirements as well.

I will see what they have there then might buy some of my own training ones depending on what everyone else does.

Do you ware your boots for training? Also why are they used, are they specifically designed to improve anything?

Thanks alot for the replys & I hope to learn alot from everyone on here.

James

P4PKING_2008
02-02-2008, 05:24 PM
you dont use handwraps? thats dumb you should always use handwraps.

How is it dumb? What boxers do ya see using handwraps? With gloves on you don't need handwraps for the bags. My hands are fine from not using them. I only use them for the speedball.

P4PKING_2008
02-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm from cumbria up in the north, boardering Scotland.

It's only a little village so this is the closest for me. It's a 7:30 for the boxing so bus times are alot better for me than having to get one straight after school, run accross town & arrive 30 minutes late each day for the MMA Training. Bus stop is right outside at the Boxing as well. Plus it's free so I can save a bit more money.

I probably was punching wrong then, it was mainly when hitting a bit further down the bag practising body shots which I was never any good at anyway.

I hated the Grappling mits as well, absolutly srpped my knuckles to shreds until I started wrapping them with tape, got big purple circular scars now on some, along with the countless burns off pans from my old washing up job their a bit battered lol. May need some form of wrap to make sure this doesnt happen again.

You get gloves for the fight? Suppose that makes sence in a way to make sure they are OK & fit with requirements as well.

I will see what they have there then might buy some of my own training ones depending on what everyone else does.

Do you ware your boots for training? Also why are they used, are they specifically designed to improve anything?

Thanks alot for the replys & I hope to learn alot from everyone on here.

James

Yeah so there the correct weight and same colour etc. So no advantages are to any fighter.

Yeah they are what you will use for the fight. So wghy not get use to them for training. They are extremely light compared to normal trainers. So they allow you to move around move and pivot better because they go up your leg.

Also, you should be doing some roadwork. Aim to do about a mile when starting and build up to 2/3 miles a day.

James_Jm
02-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I will look at some then & see how much they cost, not sure of anywhere near me that sells them really.

When you say roadword do you just mean running, if so I was thinking of starting anyway to get my fitness up after a month or two of having our football games cancelled.

Off to watch the Khan fight now so will check the thread later.

james

West24
02-02-2008, 06:38 PM
you know handwraps are there to protect your hands right? so why would you use them in a fight where you generally dont land as hard and solid punches as you do on the bag, but not use them on the bag? makes no sence.

aussieboxer2320
02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
u have to wrap your hands in a fight its AIBA rules secondly i have shoes that i use when i box theyre very light and thin soled, but theyre not actually shoes designed specifically for boxing, although i am think that for my next fight i should probably get a pair as well as some new gear i looked like a hobo at my first fight lol

rj_ct
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
dude, definitely wear wraps every time you train. they protect your wrists, tendons, knuckles... you're whole hand.

P4PKING_2008
02-02-2008, 07:52 PM
you know handwraps are there to protect your hands right? so why would you use them in a fight where you generally dont land as hard and solid punches as you do on the bag, but not use them on the bag? makes no sence.

I use them for the speedbag. But not punchbag. It is just easier for me that way. We do interval training at my gym. Like 2 rounds (3min 30sec rest) on skipping then bag work etc. So there wouldn't be much time anyway.

dfwtx
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
How is it dumb? What boxers do ya see using handwraps? .

are you stupid... what kind of gym do you train at where noone taught you to use wraps, oh and what boxers? every boxer.

rj_ct
02-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I use them for the speedbag. But not punchbag. It is just easier for me that way. We do interval training at my gym. Like 2 rounds (3min 30sec rest) on skipping then bag work etc. So there wouldn't be much time anyway.

:thinking:

i'm not gonna tell you what to do, but there is a reason why every other boxer in the world wraps their hands.

podxvost
02-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Dude maybe you can even punch brick walls with your bare hands and be fine, but why would you suggest stupid **** to someone else.
Handwraps are a must.
so is your own mouthpiece if you going to spar.
A cup would be very helpfull also, some guys on here suggested that i wear a cup everytime i spar and it sure came in handy last night. thanks for looking out fellas.
I was wondering same thing about boxing shoes, do they help you in anyway other then ankle support? maybe better traction?

Onslow.
02-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Always use handwraps. Always.

mr tricky
02-03-2008, 06:57 AM
i live in north east england and i have been boxing for 1 year and a bit im almost 16 . im trying to get my first fight soon.

you should go to training with some shorts and t-shirt and trainers or a tracksuit or somting, as you get better you should buy some boxing boots form the internet site such as suggarrays.co.uk. hand wraps arnt a estential in my gym , some wear them, some dont, im thinkg of getting some though as you dont scab yopur hands as much on harder bags, after you have trainerd a while have a look what othwers at your gym wear, i would reallly recommend buying some boxing boots and boxing shorts and mabey boxing vest or somting, you could also but a kit bag some skipping rops handwraps and mouthgaurd, but you wont need them straight away.

pushups on knuckles wont make your knuclkes bigger lol, knuclkes are bone why would they get bigger coz of pushups, they may streathen your wrtist i dont know, but i think any pushups will be good for wrists, have you have money you could buty a powerball they are like 20 and are proven to strethen lower arms and wrists.

all in all just go in sports clothes or look what other wear, dont act big time,

James_Jm
02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the replys, I will take a look at Sugarrays.co.uk & see how much the things that you mentioned are to see what the costs will be like.

Also, I've just measured myself & I'm a about 6 foot 1/2 inch & weigh 142-143lb. I dont know about weight bounderies etc but I will be wanting to put some more muscle on me using the weights that they have at the gym. From everyones opinion on here what sort of weight should I be looking at reaching, baring in mind they said they train people for fights?

I will see what equipment they have there tomorrow as I'm going for a look around & seeing what facilites they have. I will say what they have & then hopefully get some responces that I will need to buy before wednesdays training session.

Thanks alot
James

James_Jm
02-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I've just got back & it wasnt what I was expecting. But wasnt to bad though.

They have all the gloves & bags. The ring is pretty basic & they dont do sparing which is annoying. The people who run it are exerienced & know what they are doing.

First everyone does a warm up & streches etc. Then they do shaddow bocing concentrating on moving around alot. The there is 10 two minute rounds. In these you do skipping, heavy bag, soft bag, a small bag hanging from the celing for jabs, & pad work with a partner. It's like circuit training.

It's not ideal but I'm going to give it a go but I might look for somewhere else as well as I used to enjoy sparing & they said they dont get many fights organised due to most people not being good enough.

Do you think this is a wise move looking for somewhere with sparing & more fights?

cheers
james

P4PKING_2008
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I've just got back & it wasnt what I was expecting. But wasnt to bad though.

They have all the gloves & bags. The ring is pretty basic & they dont do sparing which is annoying. The people who run it are exerienced & know what they are doing.

First everyone does a warm up & streches etc. Then they do shaddow bocing concentrating on moving around alot. The there is 10 two minute rounds. In these you do skipping, heavy bag, soft bag, a small bag hanging from the celing for jabs, & pad work with a partner. It's like circuit training.

It's not ideal but I'm going to give it a go but I might look for somewhere else as well as I used to enjoy sparing & they said they dont get many fights organised due to most people not being good enough.

Do you think this is a wise move looking for somewhere with sparing & more fights?

cheers
james

It seems I will now have to wear handwraps lol. But we do circuit training very similar to yours. But after that some go home and others get asked to stay behind for sparring. It really builds your fitness doing so many rounds of fitness and skil training then you spar each other.

The boxing gym you went to should do sparring otherwise it will just be like an aerobics class. But, if you have other options you should definitly use them.

That sugarrays website is awesome I got all my stuff from there.

James_Jm
02-05-2008, 03:01 AM
It seems I will now have to wear handwraps lol. But we do circuit training very similar to yours. But after that some go home and others get asked to stay behind for sparring. It really builds your fitness doing so many rounds of fitness and skil training then you spar each other.

The boxing gym you went to should do sparring otherwise it will just be like an aerobics class. But, if you have other options you should definitly use them.

That sugarrays website is awesome I got all my stuff from there.

Yeah it seemed more like a fitness class, one of the men that teaches is 81 & has run he club for 50 years & been boxing all his life so he knows what he is doing though. His son does most of the training though.

No one stays behind for sparing, they are mainly adults though and most are about 19, so I wouldnt have much of a chance being 16 & having punches alot softer than them lol.

The ring is about 4cm off the ground & looks really hard so wouldnt be good for sparing anyway.

They had Jennings the world champion there 2 fridays ago helping train the kids, he won his fight on TV on saturday

Unanimous
02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
For wrist strength I use the dumbells and hold them at my side and just curl my hands. My bells are about 5.5kg and believe me you'll feel it after you do 50 of those babies! That move also strengthens the forearms (my mate who's a black belt let me know about that one).

James_Jm
02-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Just spoken to my mate at football training & I went to the wrong place, they all went to the right one & are training tomorrow, they said its got a proper ring, weights, sparing etc. I'm training with them tomorrow anyway there.

I will go to the other one because I told the coach I would but it will be the only session. Also with my mates going to this I can egt a lift with them & dont have to spend up to ***163;10 on buses each week.

Really looking forward to it now.

James

James_Jm
02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Me & my mate went to the Boxing yesterday, got there & went inside & it looked great, proper ring, weights, kettle balls, decent gloves etc & lots of room.

But he said we couldnt start because there were two many people & try again in a few weeks, might pop in on monday becasue with it being the school holidays next week it may be a bit quieter so I can train, & once you have gone you are fine going again & wont get turned away.

Bit annoying but really looking forward to it.

James