View Full Version : How do boxers do it?

Dick-Sucker
01-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Okay.

Well i have to do weight every two days or i get really small.

Even if i box every night my triceps and biceps go tiny. My shoulders stay normal. And everything else shrinks.

How do boxers look so built? I have been told they don't do weights leading up to a fight.

How did RJJ get those biceps for the trinidad fight? I want to know these things? How is Lacy so massive?

And these guys don't do weights and just box. When i do that i go anorexic.

?

fraidycat
01-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Everyone's body is different. There are guys in my weight class who are 6'4" and built like whippets, and guys in my weight class who are 5'6" and built like bulldogs.

My regular sparring partner is the same height and weight (and age) as me -- we're right at the top end of middleweight at 5'9" -- but his pecs and biceps are huge whereas my back and shoulders are much wider. I look bigger than him with a shirt on; he looks bigger than me with his shirt off. It's genetics and your exercise routine.

What matters is, learning to fight with what the Good Lord gave you. I have a 30" inseam and a 36" sleeve. I am built like an orangutan. With arms as long as mine, I don't need big biceps; long arms mean long muscles, which give me more leverage with less mass. My sparring partner has a 34" inseam and 32" sleeves, and his biceps push out the sleeves of his shirts.

Just keep boxing and eating right and your body will do what it has to do to make you fight your best, even though you may not be "body beautiful" when you hit your optimum fighting ability. Few people are.

Trust your body; it's smarter than you are.

phallus
01-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Okay.

Well i have to do weight every two days or i get really small.

Even if i box every night my triceps and biceps go tiny. My shoulders stay normal. And everything else shrinks.

How do boxers look so built? I have been told they don't do weights leading up to a fight.

How did RJJ get those biceps for the trinidad fight? I want to know these things? How is Lacy so massive?

And these guys don't do weights and just box. When i do that i go anorexic.

?

Everyone's body is different. There are guys in my weight class who are 6'4" and built like whippets, and guys in my weight class who are 5'6" and built like bulldogs.

My regular sparring partner is the same height and weight (and age) as me -- we're right at the top end of middleweight at 5'9" -- but his pecs and biceps are huge whereas my back and shoulders are much wider. I look bigger than him with a shirt on; he looks bigger than me with his shirt off. It's genetics and your exercise routine.

What matters is, learning to fight with what the Good Lord gave you. I have a 30" inseam and a 36" sleeve. I am built like an orangutan. With arms as long as mine, I don't need big biceps; long arms mean long muscles, which give me more leverage with less mass. My sparring partner has a 34" inseam and 32" sleeves, and his biceps push out the sleeves of his shirts.

Just keep boxing and eating right and your body will do what it has to do to make you fight your best, even though you may not be "body beautiful" when you hit your optimum fighting ability. Few people are.

Trust your body; it's smarter than you are.

it's boxing not bodybuilding, who cares what u look like? i'm nothing to look at, just a skinny ugly hairy little guy. i have flat biceps, which means no matter how much weight i lift they'll always be small. the kid i knocked out took one look at me and laughed, once the fists started flying i put him on the floor. i like looking unintimidating, it's more of a surprise when i knock u out

aussieboxer2320
01-29-2008, 03:26 AM
im sick of people *****ing about their muscles for petes sake its boxing not bodybuliding if your concerned about your biceps shoot up some steroids and start pumping iron and cancel your membership at the boxing gym cos thats not what boxing is about

Detroit101
01-29-2008, 08:42 AM
When I take my shirt off you cant even see what my body looks like because excessive amounts of body hair....I consider it to be like a weird kind of camouflage.....no one can see whats coming....not even me...

\/oid161
01-29-2008, 09:03 AM
When I take my shirt off you cant even see what my body looks like because excessive amounts of body hair....I consider it to be like a weird kind of camouflage.....no one can see whats coming....not even me...

very nice detroit, camo...lol. anyway, as previously stated, boxing is not a body building sport. I mean, in my daily workout routine, I do lift, HOWEVER, I use the low weight/high rep technique, builds stamina and helps develope your twitch reflexes. really though, the only other thing i use weights for, is to sit one on my lap for a wall sit, or sit it on my chest for sit-ups. its all about the abs, my friend.

big paulie
01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Genetics man, everyone is different, look at Morales he had skinny arms and legs but could hit like a mule

youngfamous313
01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't give a damn what none says, I lift wieghts! There's nothing like stepping into the ring looking like a machine...Its another mental edge...

I've had guys I sparred with come in going HARD the 1st round, then running out of gas. Dude tells me "I had to come in and try to put you away, all them muscles popping out, I had to show you what I was made of" and of course I whooped that ass the 2nd and 3rd round.

However I don't look like arnold swarz, I'm 5'5 or 6 and around 135. But I'm serious!

why not lift wieghts...

danny stash
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
HERE IS THE ANSWER

Boxing is so intense that you not only burn off fat stores for fuel you burn off muscle stores as well.

Some advice: up your protein ALOT and you will retain more muscle. I went through-go throught the same thing.

Benn_Foust
01-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I lift weights but punching bag non stop for an hour and other exercises with medicine ball is better imo.

moin126
01-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I think to get bigger,
-maybe you need to mix your training up.
-And train harder.
-Also nutrition is very important, eat alot.
-Muscle flexibility is very very important. Stretching.

phallus
01-29-2008, 11:50 PM

i thought i was the only one who was this hairy, it's good to know in this age of metrosexual phag boys there's another real man out there

Ukr_Alex
01-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Eat more, you burn so much energy boxing you simply need to eat lots.

When I trained in the summer and played ball and did all that (basicly 60% of my free time was physical activity) I had to eat mad portions, and I still had zero fat on me.

MnTwins24
01-30-2008, 01:29 AM
It all depends on your genes man. Im about the same as youngfamous. Im about 5'6 but im pretty ripped. I walk around at about 130 lbs. But all I do is calasthenics and I focus my bag work on the heavy bag. I do a little weights for my core but thats it. I do the following:
15 minutes stretching and moving around
3-5 rounds shaddow boxing
atleast 6 rounds on the Heavy bag
3-6 on the double end bag
3-6 on the speed bag
9 minutes jump roping
50 push ups (Varying the arm spread everyday)
50 Situps on the bench
20 pullups (varying the the muscle group im targeting)
50 Crossovers on bench
repeat 4 times
I like to mix it up alot by using an exercise ball or using the medicine ball to get different areas in my stomach. Also like I said I've been incorporating different types of squats into my work out.
Try this I am very happy with this work out. Iv'e studied alot of different boxing workout reimens and read alot on it and this is what I like the best. Im at the exact build I wanna be at not big but not small. I feel I have a good balance here. Also very imortant drink alot of water throughout the day and eat good foods with lots of proteins. Let me know if anyone else uses this at all and let me know if they like it.

xSOUTHPAWx
01-30-2008, 07:27 AM
i lift.. but i gain muscle fast..

i stopped lifting to concentrate on boxing.. my arms shrank..

after 2 weeks on the weights.. my arms got plump again..

used to curling 4 x 12 35lbs .. . started back on it at 4 x 12 wit 20lbs each hand..

now im up to 4 x 12 40 lbs.. its no big deal.. just gotta kknow how to hit ur muscles right.. and after ur done lifting go do burnouts of resistance workouts.. so u train to muscle for stamina when you do your reps.. explode.. dont just casually pull.. explode.. so u rip the muscle and its trained for explosion...

(this way you hit hard, and fast.)

Wazaa..
03-27-2011, 08:03 AM
pushups dips pullups crunches voila.

TKD1
03-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I completely understand that a lot of people dont like to use supplements, but I dont see any problem with that, this is just my personal recommendation, I am not talking about steroids or any **** like, I never recommend a **** like that ever, what I am talking about are supplements that will help you with your stamina, size, recovery and aggressiveness. Remember these products are not magic, you need to work your ass off but they will help you with the extra mile.
The products that I am talking about are the same that alot of fighters from the UFC/MMA used, the brand is BNS, Fight Stack or Mass stack, the products are NO EXPLODE(give you more energy, focus, it will help you alot with the speed, endurance, and power), CELLMASS(This product will help you BIG time with the recovery and strength), NITRIX(I only have 2 words for this product, size and power) and there is another supplements that can boost your testosterone levels but I donít remember the name, I have not use it yet. Me and some friends are getting into MMA, so we practice boxing, jujitsu, kickboxing & taekwondo and we started using this products and they really work, just try them for a month or two there is nothing to lose, the 2 best places to buy these products are massnutrition.com or bodybuilding.com