View Full Version : WV toughman contest

\/oid161
01-28-2008, 11:24 PM
this said "contest" is going on in my area on feb. 7-8 and ive considered entering, but please note, this is a boxing event, but its not boxing, its a bunch of wild hillbillies swinging their guts out for 3 explosive 1 minute rounds, now being trained as a boxer, i cant decide how to go about this, should i come out swinging? or should i wait until they gas themselves out and then lay 'em out? i have an excellent right hand that would surprise a few people but these guys can prolly take one on the chin and not go down. prize money is involved so i have some motivation, what do you guys think?:boxing:

fraidycat
01-29-2008, 01:47 AM
this said "contest" is going on in my area on feb. 7-8 and ive considered entering, but please note, this is a boxing event, but its not boxing, its a bunch of wild hillbillies swinging their guts out for 3 explosive 1 minute rounds, now being trained as a boxer, i cant decide how to go about this, should i come out swinging? or should i wait until they gas themselves out and then lay 'em out? i have an excellent right hand that would surprise a few people but these guys can prolly take one on the chin and not go down. prize money is involved so i have some motivation, what do you guys think?:boxing:

In some areas, the local boxing association won't let you compete if you've done a Toughman competition. Check with your local gym before you enter.

\/oid161
01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
really?, so if i did this toughman, and then i went back to the gym, and did an amateur fight that required me to travel somewhere that they didnt allow it, then i wouldnt be able to compete?

Chris.Downs
01-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I think if you are allowed because in the end of the day its just some fun really. To just go in with all guns blazing, you said you got a good right hand, use it get them don't but don't make a fool of yourself either, go in hard fast but don't get careless!!

\/oid161
01-29-2008, 09:04 AM
agreed chris, i think im gonna let them punch themselves out, then go for the rush.

Chris.Downs
01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah that would be a good way, just don't make a fool of yourself, show them what you really are like when you get into it.

\/oid161
01-29-2008, 09:10 AM
hell, even if i do make a fool of myself, there is always next year for redemption. but since ive never had an official amateur fight, i figured this would be the best way to take a hard hit and actually push myself. I'm not afraid of losing or anything like that, but i'll be disappointed because i know i can win.:boxing:

Chris.Downs
01-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Ok then i suppose if you want to be hit then you should let yourself get hit by so big geezer and see if you can come back to it, i aint saying anything about you but i've known folks that have gone into the ring in their first fight and got hit for the first time, then end of round they have retired because they can't take being hit... Now i aint saying thats you but i suggest you get into a proper fight before an amature one so it don't go down on your record if you get me! i'm sure you're not going to be like that bloke!!

\/oid161
01-29-2008, 09:19 AM
no, dont get me wrong, ive had heavy sparring matches, and a few club brawls, i've been hit, that theres no doubt about. And in this match i dont intend to get hit, but if i do, then i want to know that i can get up .

Chris.Downs
01-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Thats alright then, i give you my best in you're tornament! By the sounds of it the prize money is already yours, but there might be other amatures entering that are better... Keep an eye out!!:boxing:

\/oid161
01-29-2008, 09:24 AM
will do, thanks for the support :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:
im gonna give it my best. haha

Chris.Downs
01-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I can tell by the way you talk you'll do well... :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

SAN D13GO VILLAN
01-29-2008, 09:32 AM
These events are fun I entered one like 2 years ago alot of people down play these tournaments but I feal like it's 50/50 with some wild fighters of the street and then you have some fighters that go to gyms and are starting boxing and this event helps them check out were their at, I remember their been some MMA fighters and they looked big and buff and they would come back crying talking about "I cant Fight like that" . SO make sure your in shape and get allot of sparing in.

danny stash
01-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Just grab your ears and let em swing,take em off gloves and counter with an overhand right on button. This is how you handle wild punchers...

IMO

Stinkfist
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
If your looking for an amatuer fight under USA boxing in the future be careful. This is what USA Boxing Rulebook states.

http://www.usaboxingofficials.org/RULEBOOK/USABoxingTechnicalRules2006.pdf

102.1 Contestant Guidelines. Competition for both male and female boxers shall be conducted in compliance with all USA Boxing’s Technical Rules, specific to male, female and/or both.

(e) Any boxer who participates in an unsanctioned boxing contest or tournament or in a tough man, wild man, barroom brawl or any similar competition that is never sanctioned by USA Boxing is automatically disqualified.
Note: This disqualification will be handled in accordance with established hearings and appeals procedures of USA Boxing

Chris.Downs
01-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Why aren't we allowed to do a toughman contest then, we aint pro looking to it but we aren't so why not us!!! well why do you think that?

Stinkfist
01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I think the rule sucks. I've seen a couple really good am's that lost their membership (papers) because of fighting in one of these. It would be fun as hell to fight in one.

danny stash
01-29-2008, 10:04 AM
If your looking for an amatuer fight under USA boxing in the future be careful. This is what USA Boxing Rulebook states.

http://www.usaboxingofficials.org/RULEBOOK/USABoxingTechnicalRules2006.pdf

102.1 Contestant Guidelines. Competition for both male and female boxers shall be conducted in compliance with all USA Boxing’s Technical Rules, specific to male, female and/or both.

(e) Any boxer who participates in an unsanctioned boxing contest or tournament or in a tough man, wild man, barroom brawl or any similar competition that is never sanctioned by USA Boxing is automatically disqualified.
Note: This disqualification will be handled in accordance with established hearings and appeals procedures of USA Boxing
so than larry holmes, mike tyson etc who were all caught on camera in a "bar room" brawl would be included in this rule.

fight away, no way it comes back to you...IMO

\/oid161
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
yeah, i mean, its prolly gonna be awhile before i get some Am fights anyway, and i could use the money. so i figure i'll give it my all, and swing for the fences, or ropes or, 3rd-4th row seats or whatever. :boxing:

robjr
01-29-2008, 07:36 PM
they let some amateurs in now.. i think it depends how many fihgts uve had..

DMC
01-30-2008, 07:06 AM
By the way that rule is written, I think it only affects registered Am-Boxers.
If you have not boxed yet and are not registered then you are fine to compete in a tough man contest.

DMC:boxing:

\/oid161
01-30-2008, 07:45 AM
:boxing: that would make sense, im not registered AM yet so i figure i'll be fine, and if they ask me if i had ever done one, wouldnt i just tell a little white lie? lol:boxing:

aussieboxer2320
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
hey guys sorry for asking this but what exactly is a toughman contest? im from australia see, is it like a novice boxing tourament or something? thanks alot

SAN D13GO VILLAN
01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
hey guys sorry for asking this but what exactly is a toughman contest? im from australia see, is it like a novice boxing tourament or something? thanks alot

It's a boxing tournament for the average joe, they go all around the country and have these tournaments and anybody can join except Professionals and amateur boxers the winner gets $$$ forgot how much.

\/oid161
01-30-2008, 09:24 PM
i think the grand prize is like $1000 or something like that =p:boxing:

aussieboxer2320
01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
oh so its just a slug fest

\/oid161
01-30-2008, 11:24 PM
yeah, pretty much, I was talking to some friends about it earlier though, and i guess some of the local boxing AM's compete in it, all the bar brawlers come the first night, and the 2nd night the boxers come clean house. :boxing:

SAN D13GO VILLAN
01-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Like I said before when I was in it their were allot of MMA fighters "TRYING" to Practice their stand up.

\/oid161
02-01-2008, 12:26 AM
well, after a hard night at work, i realized that it was time to man up, and i filled out my online registration and sent it in, just gotta wait to hear back from them :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

\/oid161
02-01-2008, 08:58 AM
7 days and counting, anyone know a good routine i could do for these few remaining days? to make sure im in top shape by fight day?