View Full Version : Is it alright to lift weights just for your legs?

FIGHTING_FLIP
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
i only do body weight exercises for my upper body, but would it be ok if i lifted weights for my legs?

JoeyBB
01-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Why would you need to lift weight for your legs?? lol.....

BrooklynBomber
01-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Do squats and deadlifts, all around great exercises.

Konstantin
01-27-2008, 11:04 PM
i only do body weight exercises for my upper body, but would it be ok if i lifted weights for my legs?

I heard that Naseem Hamed used weights to exercise his legs, he turned out with great movement and power.

FIGHTING_FLIP
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Why would you need to lift weight for your legs?? lol.....

to help with my duckin and to get low with my punches..some percentage of power comes from your legs

dfwtx
01-28-2008, 12:24 AM
squats are good especially with weight, make sure to run too

Rob Pilger
01-30-2008, 02:25 PM
If you want more speed and power you better train the legs for strength. Front Squats, snatch grip deadlifts, zercher squats, bulgarian split squats, strengthening the posterior chain with reverse hypers, rope pull throughs are a must to.

If you want to speed and power, you first must be strong! this is so misunderstood. Lifting heavy weights does not make you slow when you train for speed/power with them.. ex. using plyometrics. As long as you are performing plyometrics right, it's impossible to be slow and you'll be night and day faster than the fighter not doing them.

Rob Pilger
www.boxingperformance.com

ruffhouse26
01-31-2008, 01:32 AM
just make sure your doing aerobic leg exercises during the days your lifting.

aussieboxer2320
01-31-2008, 01:40 AM
boxers dont really need to lift, and why would you do it for your legs? if you want good leg strength just do ordinary deep squats and plenty of running (not just jogging, sprinting also)

bundjalung
01-31-2008, 01:54 AM
It makes a big difference. But keep it specific to boxing, like the functional exercises described above (plyometrics, squats, lunges). Try it with higher reps and lighter weight to make it more explosive. But you can't neglect an endurance base.

Rob Pilger
01-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Boxers do indeed need to lift. Hell, look at what it's done for Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkin's move up in weight. they wouldn't have got there by doing aerobic leg exercises and just running. They did it with a strength coach who knows his stuff and they lifted weights ( not light weights ) which made them both have the best performances og their careers. If you want a long boxing life, you better strength train and use it to improve your weaknesses.

Rob Pilger
www.boxingperformance.com