View Full Version : Which boxers admitedly lift?

Banderivets
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Stewart spoke of Wlad lifting, no brainer that Tyson did. Who else?

I randomly found this pic of Vitali Tsypko (the d00de who fought and got Lacy dazed)

http://www.day.kiev.ua/img/145199/127-1-2.jpg

BrooklynBomber
01-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Jones did...

Banderivets
01-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Jones did...

Now I wonder how much they all did.

if those are 50lb plates on in the Tsypko picture thats 300+

Kayo
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Jean Marc Mormeck, Ricky Hatton, Arturo Gatti for a part of his career, James Toney, Roy Jones Jr, Shane Mosley...alot of them do

Banderivets
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Any figures?

aussieboxer2320
01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
roy jones only started lifting when he had to bulk up to move up to heavyweight

Brockton Lip
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Theres alot of them. Holyfield did and still does.

aussieboxer2320
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
great fighters dont lift, all it does is make you big punching power is natural u cant train it same with speed

Detroit101
01-27-2008, 10:29 PM
great fighters dont lift, all it does is make you big punching power is natural u cant train it same with speed

????????????? Can you please justify that comment! ( and Edit it ) thanks

average.joe
01-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Thats completely retarded. Getting stronger WILL increase power. And lifting weights will definitely make you stronger as long as you do it right.

VBoxer
01-28-2008, 01:43 AM

some great fighters DO lift. its all about how you lift and what you do.

DutchDynamite
01-28-2008, 02:25 AM
i punch harder since i started to lift, it for sure works for me. Still main focus should be on boxing though

xSOUTHPAWx
01-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Physics lesson for the day...

Inhertia: objects that are in motion tend to stay in motion. based on mass...

A car traveling 35 mph running into you is going to hurt.. why doesnt 35mph baseball hurt AS much? INHERTIA.. (it takes more energy to stop something with more mass)

When you throw a punch properly.. you are using you're whole body.. for LEVERAGE.. LEVERAGE coming from your MASS...

The more you weigh.. the more it hurts.

______

I will give that one guy a fighting chance though..

there is a little thing called...

Acceleration:If a 200lb man can only accelerate his fist to say.. 25mph.. when a 150lb man can accelerate his to 50mph.. he is going to be doing more damage..

THIS is where LIFTING CORRECTLY comes into play. Train for you're sport. not for looks. RESISTANCE TRAINING is KEY!.. high reps..

ever see one of those resistance bungee cords?

wrap one around a pole.. and put the ends in each hand.. throw punches..

thats one idea.. have fun.

PunchDrunk
01-28-2008, 06:41 AM

You're absolutely brilliant. Shane Mosley squats over 300lbs, and benches nearly as much, and he's clearly a very slow fighter. :kiss:

danny stash
01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Hmm

Too lazy to hit the weights huh?

I have lifted weights my whole life and it has only generated more power for me and some would argue more speed. You just need to stay stretched and throwing punches. Please do not comment without the knowledge to back it up. Hearsay is for the non informed. I am not saying you are but can you please get some info to support your statement.

PS: for YEARS tyson never picked up a weight other than for calistenics.

nedcmk1
01-28-2008, 08:40 AM
anyone who has gotten into doing cleans or snatches knows how much speed and power you can add by lifting.

Start learning some hang cleans or power cleans, or pick up a kettlebell and do some swings and turkish getups for a bit, you'll see.

It doesn't all come down to punching power either.... you will add to that... but get stronger and you will be manhandling people around the ring.

Detroit101
01-28-2008, 09:09 AM
You're absolutely brilliant. Shane Mosley squats over 300lbs, and benches nearly as much, and he's clearly a very slow fighter. :kiss:

What do you put up PunchDrunk?????? Do you participate in weight training??????????

nedcmk1
01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
"PS: for YEARS tyson never picked up a weight other than for calistenics."

I heard this is a myth. Tyson didn't lift as a child but he was lifting early in his pro career. The story was he laid down and benched 220 on his first day lifting or something like that. I overheard this from Nelson Cuevas who was with Cus since the 60's forst as a fighter, then as a trainer and cutman. worked with tyson, shavers, ect...

PunchDrunk
01-28-2008, 09:41 AM
What do you put up PunchDrunk?????? Do you participate in weight training??????????

Haha, I don't get anywhere near those numbers, if that's what you're asking. :lol1: But then, I'm no Shane Mosley. :)

I don't lift much anymore, I prefer spending my time on my fighters these days.
I probably deadlift around 300lbs for a 1RM, squat 220ish, and bench 200. I'm 5'9", 150lbs, so it's nothing impressive. Those are my true stats, though, no internet tough guy embellishments here. ;)

nedcmk1
01-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Punch... you could def put up better squat numbers than that if you are 300 on your deads, but nice numbers.

300 is a respectable squat or dead, but it isnt a high number. my 1rm squat is 305, and dead 345 at 155lbs and im not a super strong guy anyways.

danny stash
01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
"PS: for YEARS tyson never picked up a weight other than for calistenics."

I heard this is a myth. Tyson didn't lift as a child but he was lifting early in his pro career. The story was he laid down and benched 220 on his first day lifting or something like that. I overheard this from Nelson Cuevas who was with Cus since the 60's forst as a fighter, then as a trainer and cutman. worked with tyson, shavers, ect...
you could very well be right...

I just heard he did not get really into the weights until the early 90's

nedcmk1
01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
When i posted my numbers i posted in response to Shanes number and detroit asking how much punch could put up... 300 isnt a huge number for someone over 150lbs

Detroit101
01-28-2008, 01:21 PM
I think anyone who can bench 2x their weight is doing very well....its almost a pinnacle of strength.....it took me a long time before I got over 300lbs on the bench and I weighed 225 before I could do it...I weigh 260 now and If i had to guess i would probably max out between 440 & 460lbs on the bench for a 1 rep max......

But if you weigh 180lbs and can bench 300lbs you are definitely in an elite class especially if you are natural and dont mess around with juice....

Have any of you guys ever seen the NFL combine where they just rep out 225lbs?????

Banderivets
01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I think anyone who can bench 2x their weight is doing very well....its almost a pinnacle of strength.....it took me a long time before I got over 300lbs on the bench and I weighed 225 before I could do it...I weigh 260 now and If i had to guess i would probably max out between 440 & 460lbs on the bench for a 1 rep max......

But if you weigh 180lbs and can bench 300lbs you are definitely in an elite class especially if you are natural and dont mess around with juice....

Have any of you guys ever seen the NFL combine where they just rep out 225lbs?????

Good post.

Anyone who can put up 300lb is a very strong man. Regardless of weight (relativly speaking) especially if you dont lift on regular basis.

Bottom line is that your average man will not put up his own body weight.

I heard of the NFL thing when I was reading up on Igor Olshansky.

Only thing I can put up 25x is 130 lol

Detroit101
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I started doing a lot of drop sets about a year ago and when I started repping out 225, I could only do it 19 times.....Now I have got it up to 37 times....I have also had an olympic powerlifter tell me once that he didnt lift using high reps because it would make the tendons too pliable, stretchy and weak....as opposed to lifting heavy all the time which would make them stronger and more rigid...I dont know if this is true but I can see where there may be merit. This guy never did steroids and was able to bench 700lbs+ without a vest....

This may sound quite ridiculous but, The first thing you need to do if want to become stronger is to believe that you are stronger....its funny how much your mind controls your body....and/or sometimes hold it back!

Banderivets
01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I started doing a lot of drop sets about a year ago and when I started repping out 225, I could only do it 19 times.....Now I have got it up to 37 times....I have also had an olympic powerlifter tell me once that he didnt lift using high reps because it would make the tendons too pliable, stretchy and weak....as opposed to lifting heavy all the time which would make them stronger and more rigid...I dont know if this is true but I can see where there may be merit. This guy never did steroids and was able to bench 700lbs+ without a vest....

This may sound quite ridiculous but, The first thing you need to do if want to become stronger is to believe that you are stronger....its funny how much your mind controls your body....and/or sometimes hold it back!

Damn d00de so you can 225 37x straight?

Like you lay on the bench and lift 225 37 times withouht a break?

damn, gotta respect that.

PunchDrunk
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Punch... you could def put up better squat numbers than that if you are 300 on your deads, but nice numbers.

300 is a respectable squat or dead, but it isnt a high number. my 1rm squat is 305, and dead 345 at 155lbs and im not a super strong guy anyways.

Yeah, I should be able to squat more. I guess I'm not as balanced as I could be. I've been concentrating on my fighters the past few years, so I've been neglegting my own training. :(

Detroit101
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Damn d00de so you can 225 37x straight?

Like you lay on the bench and lift 225 37 times withouht a break?

damn, gotta respect that.

Yeah.... Ive saw a guy on youtube put 225 up like 50 times, and he was a school teacher....Brady Quinn did it 22 times for the combine...

I noticed significant increases in strength mostly from drop sets....in all areas, not just bench....when I began to do high rep / low rest routines for some reason my body responded much better than anything else i had done in the past...

Detroit101
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Haha, I don't get anywhere near those numbers, if that's what you're asking. :lol1: But then, I'm no Shane Mosley. :)

I don't lift much anymore, I prefer spending my time on my fighters these days.
I probably deadlift around 300lbs for a 1RM, squat 220ish, and bench 200. I'm 5'9", 150lbs, so it's nothing impressive. Those are my true stats, though, no internet tough guy embellishments here. ;)

So you train boxers? What do you think about drop sets???

big paulie
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
you could very well be right...

I just heard he did not get really into the weights until the early 90's

I've always been lead to believe Tyson didnt start lifting until the mid 90s, particularly from the Botha fight onwards, i'm old school, weights ar'nt for boxers

nedcmk1
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I've always been lead to believe Tyson didnt start lifting until the mid 90s, particularly from the Botha fight onwards, i'm old school, weights ar'nt for boxers

i heard this from one of the guys training him as he was coming up in the 80's with Cus. Nelson Cuevas.

Tyson Jones
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM
At age 15 tyson could been 220 pounds over 10 times. Cus just wanted to see hwo strong he really was. He was 190 pounds of solid muscle. After that Tyson didnt lift, He only started lifting after prison. This is easy to see, he developed a new form of muscle.

I life and have gotten stronger, and it hasn't affected my speed, however I do punch the same Im told, I'm just physically stronger in a clinch. I do high reps, and not heavy training. That only results in injury.

nedcmk1
01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
lol, i heard it from the trainers mouth.

Rob Pilger
01-30-2008, 01:54 PM
A lot of fighters are lifting weights correctly these days. David Haye has a great strength/conditioning coach who helped him beat Mormeck. Trainers and fighters are finally realizing how strength training enhances a fighters performance.

Again gentleman, strength training is a must, as you must have a good strength base to build speed and power from. Lifting heavy weights without speed/power training can make you slow. Speed/power training increases the RFD ( rate of force production ) the more explosive you are.

Strength training is a must to avoid injuries, using corrective exercises.

Iron Mike was such a genetically gifted fighter( he's predominately fast twitch ) that he was born with speed and power and strength came easy to him. That obviously erod3d after he started disrespecting himself and the sport.

The biggest misconception people have is they think lifting weights is lifting like a body builder which is bull ****! You strength train according to your needs, do you need maximal strength, speed, power, endurance, power endurance, etc. This determines how the strength program is designed.

Sorry for the rant but it really bothers me on how strength training is sorely misunderstood.

I talked with and then interviewed Mackie Shilstone who was the strength/conditioning trainer for Michael Spinks when he beat Larry Holmes for the heavyweight title, Riddick Bowe for his win over Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr. moving up and beating Ruiz for the heavyweight crown, Bernard Hopkins for his move up to light heavy and beating light heavyweight champ Tarver. For Roy and Bernard he had add muscle for their move up and he did it by NOT sacrificing speed and performance.

That's what you call proof in the pudding.

Rob Pilger
www.boxingperformance.com

REGULATOR8
01-30-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/strengthtraining.html

Read this well worth your time, regarding weights in boxing S + C.

Dynamite Kid
01-30-2008, 05:30 PM
IMO weights are okay if u dont aquirre to much lean muscle that restricts your movement ,i used to weight train but luckily enough for me my muscle was 'nt tight where it resticted my movement so when i got the excess weight off & shed the muscle i had built & got down in weight to a relative fighting weight i felt stronger & quicker & my stamina was oaky

if u are gonna rip up real bad it will probably hinder your movement & stamina ,dont forget the harder u punch the more energy it saps from u ,weight training can improve your puncing power IMO but it wont make Make say a Maligniaggi into a Ricardo Torres