View Full Version : Why are There Amateurs fighting that are 30+?

Texanballer
01-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I am not knocking them, just a question i always had. At gyms i seen older guys any where from 30 to mid 40s train for golden gloves. Why dont these guys go pro? The only think i can think of is that they found out about the sport late and all they want to do is fight in amateur bouts to test themselves

msagrain
01-27-2008, 02:16 PM
pro is a lot harder...... and pro boxing is hard to make a living out of.

fraidycat
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
The only think i can think of is that they found out about the sport late and all they want to do is fight in amateur bouts to test themselves

Exactly.

That, and boxing is fun as hell. Especially the part where you get to beat the crap out of some punk half your age who thinks you're wasting your time. :boxing:

j/k. Kinda.

big paulie
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
In Britain amateur boxing is capped at age 35

leff
01-27-2008, 03:11 PM

here its 34, aint there any maximum age in america

kayjay
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
For the same reason we **** 20 yr old chicks!

Tyson Jones
01-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Its called a mid life crisis.

big paulie
01-27-2008, 03:17 PM

20? Thats far too old for me!

danny stash
01-27-2008, 04:33 PM
because we are stronger and wiser than you punks

;)

rj_ct
01-27-2008, 04:35 PM
:thinking:

because they love boxing?

Onslow.
01-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm fighting a guy in his 30's on Friday.

It's worrying me... i hope he hasn't trained everyday for 20 ****ing years. He could lay some serious hammer down.

P4PKING_2008
01-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm fighting a guy in his 30's on Friday.

It's worrying me... i hope he hasn't trained everyday for 20 ****ing years. He could lay some serious hammer down.

Good luck, man. Whats your record??

!! AI-Holmes!!
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
30 should be the cap unless your opponent is over 30 also.

Onslow.
01-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I just started as a Senior in December and lost by SD. Was close, people say i was robbed, but i think he just pipped me. So i'm 0 - 1 - not good eh?

Hope i win at the end of the week.

P4PKING_2008
01-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I just started as a Senior in December and lost by SD. Was close, people say i was robbed, but i think he just pipped me. So i'm 0 - 1 - not good eh?

Hope i win at the end of the week.

How did ya get a bout that soon? Split decision is nothing to get disheartened about. It just shows it could have gone eiether way. But the scoring in the amateurs is bull**** anyway. Be sure to let us no how ya got on.

Onslow.
01-27-2008, 05:03 PM
How did ya get a bout that soon? Split decision is nothing to get disheartened about. It just shows it could have gone eiether way. But the scoring in the amateurs is bull**** anyway. Be sure to let us no how ya got on.

Aye, one judge thought i'd got it eh?

I've been doing it for a while. Had some fights a few years ago, unsanctioned, 2 wins and a loss. But i then put a ton of weight on from just beer drinking mainly.

Then about 7 months ago, visited the gym to hit the bags and get a sweat on - try and lose that flab at a new gym. Got back into it. Lost about 3/4 stone. Got to 75/76kg. Started wanting to fight, and they were only to happy. In the best shape of my life right now.

Don't worry, i plan on winning on friday.

P4PKING_2008
01-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Aye, one judge thought i'd got it eh?

I've been doing it for a while. Had some fights a few years ago, unsanctioned, 2 wins and a loss. But i then put a ton of weight on from just beer drinking mainly.

Then about 7 months ago, visited the gym to hit the bags and get a sweat on - try and lose that flab at a new gym. Got back into it. Lost about 3/4 stone. Got to 75/76kg. Started wanting to fight, and they were only to happy. In the best shape of my life right now.

Don't worry, i plan on winning on friday.

Unsanctioned? Does that mean like not official rules? Yeah in most beer it contains lots of fat in it thats why you see so many fat people drinking beer.

Good on ya for getting back into it. Do ya no anything about who ya facing? I'm not sure if the seniors is the same but where you have I think it is 6 fights against other people with only six fights then you get to fight anyone.

Good luck. And use that jab.

Onslow.
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Unsanctioned? Does that mean like not official rules? Yeah in most beer it contains lots of fat in it thats why you see so many fat people drinking beer.

Good on ya for getting back into it. Do ya no anything about who ya facing? I'm not sure if the seniors is the same but where you have I think it is 6 fights against other people with only six fights then you get to fight anyone.

I can fight anyone my trainer thinks is sutible to be honest. It was unsanctioned as they weren't recognised by the ABA. They were in a private show thats all. Good experience, same rules as Am fights -but we weren't officially fighting as part of the ABA.

aussieboxer2320
01-27-2008, 08:12 PM
how old ru mickey B

danny stash
01-28-2008, 08:59 AM

lol their is not "fat in beer"

Its sugar in beer that does not get used as energy and therefore converted into fat.,,,

nedcmk1
01-28-2008, 09:07 AM
nothing wrong with competing in your 30's. im not in my 30's yet but hope to be competing.

In the US at 35+ you compete in the masters division.

If you are 40 and still competing... all the more to you. Alot of people do nothing but sit in their lazy-boy at 40 talking about running for touchdowns in high school.

ruffhouse26
01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
u should use those older fighters to your advantage. get helpful tips that you can work on. and use them as sparring partners. always try to spar someone who is better than you or on your level. don't ever worry bout age cuz.

phallus
01-29-2008, 01:10 AM
here its 34, aint there any maximum age in america

nothing wrong with competing in your 30's. im not in my 30's yet but hope to be competing.

In the US at 35+ you compete in the masters division.

If you are 40 and still competing... all the more to you. Alot of people do nothing but sit in their lazy-boy at 40 talking about running for touchdowns in high school.

in canada they stop us at 34 also, i wish there was a masters div. i know i could make 165 again, now that i'm too old, i'd like to have a couple more fights

fraidycat
01-29-2008, 01:31 AM
in canada they stop us at 34 also, i wish there was a masters div. i know i could make 165 again, now that i'm too old, i'd like to have a couple more fights

That's really weird; we have a Master Division guy at our gym who fights in Canada. Except, the guys he fights up there are way younger than him. IIRC, his last opponent was 22 and our guy got :owned: .

phallus
01-29-2008, 02:05 AM
That's really weird; we have a Master Division guy at our gym who fights in Canada. Except, the guys he fights up there are way younger than him. IIRC, his last opponent was 22 and our guy got :owned: .

in my town, the local boxing club kicks u out at 34, but then if u are over 20 they won't even waste time training u. they want kids to go to the olympics or make the provincial team, and the coaches there are rednecks. in the bigger cities though, it might be different

Unanimous
01-29-2008, 08:21 AM

That's me out then! Not that I was considering taking it up again.

Detroit101
01-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Are you guys familiar with Kronk gym in Detroit? I am sure you are....anyways, They shut down their Detroit gym because of vandalism and relocated an hour out of D town. A lot of fighters & trainers from there went to a gym about 15 minutes away called Mowtown Boxing. I walked into Mowtown gym about 3 1/2 months ago on a Saturday and told them I was interested in boxing competetively....they took at least a half hour to answer questions and ask me questions too....they were all together supportive and said that the first step was just walking through the door....they told me they have a couple guys who have been training just 3 years who will be going to the Golden Gloves this years as well... They also said that a few of these fighters didnt start boxing until their 20's.......

I started 3 months ago and i am 28....after 3 months I love this s$%# and cant wait to begin competing.....what I enjoy the most about this sport is that it pushes you beyond your breaking point, to places beyond exhaustion where you can really see wtf you are made of...So I dont see myself stopping any time soon.

PunchDrunk
01-29-2008, 09:19 AM
AIBA regulations say 34 and you're out.

DutchDynamite
01-29-2008, 07:27 PM
:thinking:

because they love boxing?

yep.

thats why

robjr
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
some people just get into it at an older age..

DutchDynamite
01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I have been asked to join the ultimate fighting 2 times and do competitive boxing just 2 days ago when a guy walked up to me after training. I laugh (inside) and say I stopped fighting competitive kickboxing when i was 28, i have my own business, 2 kids and this is just what i love to do so no thanks, oh and i am 35. Nobody believes my age, also the girls so yeah thats a good thing!

nedcmk1
01-30-2008, 08:24 AM
"I have been asked to join the ultimate fighting 2 times"

Which organization?