View Full Version : Running v sparring

big paulie
01-27-2008, 06:40 AM
As i've said before i've never been the best runner, if i'm lucky i'll get a couple of miles done twice a week. I train with people who run faster, longer and more often than me yet when we spar they will struggle to go 3 rounds whereas i can go 7 rounds no problem, any explenations??

DancinDestroyer
01-27-2008, 08:32 AM
These words arent scientifically proven but in my opinion;

Sparring uses both hands and feet
Sparring is highly anerobic
Sparring involves intense concentration and timing
Sparring involves being subject to intense fatigue and pain through way of body and head punches.

No other athlete from any non combatative sport can outlast and outbox a skilled boxer.. And that works both ways too..

big paulie
01-27-2008, 09:35 AM
These words arent scientifically proven but in my opinion;

Sparring uses both hands and feet
Sparring is highly anerobic
Sparring involves intense concentration and timing
Sparring involves being subject to intense fatigue and pain through way of body and head punches.

No other athlete from any non combatative sport can outlast and outbox a skilled boxer.. And that works both ways too..

The only thing i've been able to put it down to is that i'm far more relaxed when sparring and dont lose nervous energy

DutchDynamite
01-27-2008, 09:47 AM
it is all about breathing. running is easy, sparring or any fighting sport can make you tense and nervous breathing will make you tired. Simple

Onslow.
01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
It's two different things. You'll find the better boxer usually when sparring/fighting can refrain from wasting energy. Like what Hatton said about PBF "he was very clever, he knows how and when to take and steal breaks."

aussieboxer2320
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
yeah its all about wasting energy, i used to hav a tendency to do that but now i know how to conserve energy, ie: in my first fight which i probably could have won i was nervous as hell and breathing heaps and wasted energy unlike the more experienced guy i was fighting who knew how to conserve energy etc