View Full Version : Abs make a difference

Detroit101
01-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I began boxing about 3 monthsd ago and I have been tearing up my abs for the last month.....I notice a huge difference in power, form & less fatigue...

I posted a question about not getting enough power with my hook 3 weeks ago, somebody told me it was because of week adominals.....You were right! Thanks guy!!!

I had a session with my coach last night for the first time in a week and a half and now my form and strength have changed considerably for the better because of the ab work...its amazing how much of a differece it has made!

punchDrUnK MONK
01-26-2008, 11:38 PM
thats awesome man. i been bustin my ass on the abs too.. they not jus good for the stuff u said. but also u need solid abs if u wanna fight. taking body shots for 3 rounds or more aint gunna work if ur belly be flabbin. keep up the good work bro

BrooklynBomber
01-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Everything makes a difference, remember the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

PunchDrunk
01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
thats awesome man. i been bustin my ass on the abs too.. they not jus good for the stuff u said. but also u need solid abs if u wanna fight. taking body shots for 3 rounds or more aint gunna work if ur belly be flabbin. keep up the good work bro

Actually the fat layer works as a cushion against the power of the punch, kinda like the gloves and helmet. A guy like Butterbean will NOT go down easier from a body punch than a skinny guy. That said, of course the abdominal muscles need to be strong, the point is flab does not make you weaker (just heavier).

dfwtx
01-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Actually the fat layer works as a cushion against the power of the punch, kinda like the gloves and helmet. A guy like Butterbean will NOT go down easier from a body punch than a skinny guy. That said, of course the abdominal muscles need to be strong, the point is flab does not make you weaker (just heavier).

sparred a heavyweight yesterday and every body shot i threw was met with an echoing "uuuuuuuuuuuuh!" until he hooked my face :)

Detroit101
01-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I weigh 260 lbs...My coach wants me to drop 20lbs....whenI do that I should be well off....that extra weight doesnt do any good....

I didnt realize how much abdominal rotation comes into play when thowing punches....I notice it especially when I throw a left hook and follow it with a cross, there is significantly more power now than compared to when I first began.....

Banderivets
01-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Well the stronger your core the harder you'll punch, faster rotation, more stability etc etc...

But you can have a solid core withouht looking like a beach boy.