View Full Version : how to get on the boxing olympic team

beefymoocow
01-26-2008, 07:21 AM
hey guys.

i started to box a few months ago and i love it. i want to know how to get in the 2012 england Olympics, i weigh 52kg and i'm 17. what is the quickest way to get pick for the squad ie which weight category should i fight in and what are the procedures

Darkstranger
01-26-2008, 07:28 AM
You need to make a name for yourself first by winning an ABA title.

msagrain
01-26-2008, 07:33 AM
were u from?

anyway you need to get fight in your area and once they think your good enought they hopefully will give you area title shoot.

Then you really need to up you game and try and get into the england squad by beating the people who are ranked in the country.

Then you might start get on the england aquad and by the time it comes to 2012 a group of people vote weather or not to let you in the 2012 games for GB.

sterling
01-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Well u need to win alot of ur fights and titles

Bigcat
01-26-2008, 07:44 AM
The best way is to stay focussed with your goals set in stone and shoot first like that guy first said , and go for the ABA title at your best weight class , the weight that you are at your optimum fitness and strongest to box at. Don't lose that drive and stick to your goal.. Olympics 2012.. Go for it there is no reason that if you want it enough , that you can't acheive it.

God Bless.

aussieboxer2320
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
ive been boxing for a year and a bit now, and i am aiming for the 2012 or maybe the 2016 games (ill only be 18 with about 4 years of amateur experience in 2012, so i doubt i would make it in)

\/oid161
01-27-2008, 12:55 AM
i go through these threads, looking at the various titles, and i see someone asking how to become a pro boxer, he gets torn to shreds by other forum-goers, and this kid asking how to box in the olympics, and everyone is giving sound advice on how to go about it. guess its just about who finds the thread lol. but anyway, shoot for the stars, good luck.

BG_Knocc_Out
01-27-2008, 01:23 AM
If you;ve been boxing for a few months, you better make sure your ready, most gyms will say with maybe 2 years of training before you take it to the next level. Make sure you want to persue into being successful at it, but anyways, good luck with your training bro, I been training for a few months also, I'm only 15, but we'll see where I'm headed.

moin126
01-27-2008, 09:50 AM
win alot, get into a qualifiers tournament win it, done. But its different in the usa offcourse. Im from holland so, after 5 amateur fights ill be able to compete in such a tournament, why? its a small country,not many amateur boxers, and they arent even in my weight class.
In the Usa getting to the olympics is already a big fking achievement.

PunchDrunk
01-27-2008, 03:35 PM
win alot, get into a qualifiers tournament win it, done. But its different in the usa offcourse. Im from holland so, after 5 amateur fights ill be able to compete in such a tournament, why? its a small country,not many amateur boxers, and they arent even in my weight class.

After 5 am fights, you can get into which kind of tournaments?? The ONLY way to get to the Olympics if you're from Holland is

A. Get to the quartefinals at the world championships that took place last year (so that ship has sailed), or

B. Get picked by the national boxing federation of Holland to represent your country in one of the ONLY two qualifying tournaments, that are held in Greece and Italy sometime in the next two months.

There are a total of 8 slots in each weight division in the Olympics for european boxers. Realizing that you compete with the Russians, Ukrainians, Romanians, Hungarians, Italians, English, French, etc. etc., for those few slots, qualifying for the Olympics when you're from Holland is at least as hard as it is to do as an American. Usually America has a boxer qualified in each division, which the Dutch DEFINITELY won't.

P.S. I take it you're not on the Holland national team that are gonna have two national team contests against my country (Denmark) over the next few months? I guarantee you there are no 5 fight beginners in that squad. I also guarantee you that no 5 fight beginner will get the chance to qualify ahead of any of those guys. In short, what you're saying is so completely wrong, it's downright ridiculous.

Southpaw16
01-27-2008, 04:34 PM
After 5 am fights, you can get into which kind of tournaments?? The ONLY way to get to the Olympics if you're from Holland is

A. Get to the quartefinals at the world championships that took place last year (so that ship has sailed), or

B. Get picked by the national boxing federation of Holland to represent your country in one of the ONLY two qualifying tournaments, that are held in Greece and Italy sometime in the next two months.

There are a total of 8 slots in each weight division in the Olympics for european boxers. Realizing that you compete with the Russians, Ukrainians, Romanians, Hungarians, Italians, English, French, etc. etc., for those few slots, qualifying for the Olympics when you're from Holland is at least as hard as it is to do as an American. Usually America has a boxer qualified in each division, which the Dutch DEFINITELY won't.

P.S. I take it you're not on the Holland national team that are gonna have two national team contests against my country (Denmark) over the next few months? I guarantee you there are no 5 fight beginners in that squad. I also guarantee you that no 5 fight beginner will get the chance to qualify ahead of any of those guys. In short, what you're saying is so completely wrong, it's downright ridiculous.

He clearly said he is aiming for the 2012 olympics.

PunchDrunk
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
He clearly said he is aiming for the 2012 olympics.

No, the guy I was responding to said: win alot, get into a qualifiers tournament win it, done. But its different in the usa offcourse. Im from holland so, after 5 amateur fights ill be able to compete in such a tournament, why? its a small country,not many amateur boxers, and they arent even in my weight class.

No mention of 2012 in that.

Even if you were right (which you are clearly not), what I said still stands. There is absolutely no way anyone with 5 amateur fights, anywhere in the world, much less Europe, is going to enter a Olympic qual tournament. That, and the fact that qualifying for the Olympics in Europe is just as big an achievement as in the US, were the points I was making. He basically said that qualifying for the Olympics if you're from Holland is easy, which is laughable.

moin126
01-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I was clearly talking of a 2012 scenario. But you assuming i meant the 2008 olympics is a bit, i dont know punch drunk ^_^.

the 5 fight thing was a little exagerration. all i am saying is not alot of competition here in the lower weight classes. After some fights they send you off to tournaments then you can compete in a qualifier simple as that.
And they probably finance all of it.

''Usually America has a boxer qualified in each division, which the Dutch DEFINITELY won't.''

that makes it that much more easy to get into a qualifier and have a shot.
Easy work.

aussieboxer2320
01-27-2008, 08:09 PM
what weight class are you? in australian you have to be aust champ 4 your weight class or sumtin , go to the oceania games, then go to the world championships and get to the quarterfinals or the semis if your a super heavyweight, i think?

PunchDrunk
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I was clearly talking of a 2012 scenario. But you assuming i meant the 2008 olympics is a bit, i dont know punch drunk ^_^.

the 5 fight thing was a little exagerration. all i am saying is not alot of competition here in the lower weight classes. After some fights they send you off to tournaments then you can compete in a qualifier simple as that.
And they probably finance all of it.

''Usually America has a boxer qualified in each division, which the Dutch DEFINITELY won't.''

that makes it that much more easy to get into a qualifier and have a shot.
Easy work.

Read my post again. I was talking about the general system of qualifying for the Olympics.

First of all, there are only 8 slots per division (fewer at 48, 92 and 91+)available for ALL OF THE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES, including Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Turkey, Aizerbaijan, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Italy, England, Ireland, Germany, just to name 14 (!) of the stronger nations. THOSE are the fighters you'll be competing against to qualify!
Easy work? That is hands down the hardest qualifying group in the world. This is how it is, regardless of you talking about 2008 or 2012 or 2754 for that matter.

Second of all, you don't even get to go to those for Holland, unless you're really good and experienced. I happen to know a few of the guys in your national squad, and getting into that squad is NOT easy.

Fact: Holland only had 5 participants in the 2007 world championships, 60, 64, 69, 75, 81kg divisions. Now, for the world championships (which were also a Olympics qual tournament), there is no qualification. Each country can participate with one boxer in each of the 11 weight divisions. Now, if qualifying for the Olympics is so easy, being from Holland, and if they'll finance it all, why did they send only five out of eleven? Getting into a qualifier is clearly NOT easy work, since they don't even send a full team!
You started out saying fighters with five fights could qualify for the Olympics, you claim it's easy work. Well, you've clearly demonstrated you don't know how the process works, and you are full of ****.

moin126
01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
hey hey, easy on the shirt. With that attitude say good bye to the olympics. You seem a bit scared by it all. With the skills , its easy work.

Your giving nice background info nice. But you obviously dont know how it works here. there are many qualifying opportunitys like the world championships and 2 others to be held in next few months right?, but i was talking 2012. 4 Years.
and given the amount of competiters here in holland, there will be enough attention to the ones wanting it, certainly in a 4 year time span, why such scarce number of fighters? well there arent many.

But common man keep your head up with that attitude you wont get anywhere, im not saying its a walk in the park, but nothing is impossible. ;)

PunchDrunk
01-28-2008, 06:37 AM
hey hey, easy on the shirt. With that attitude say good bye to the olympics. You seem a bit scared by it all. With the skills , its easy work.

Your giving nice background info nice. But you obviously dont know how it works here. there are many qualifying opportunitys like the world championships and 2 others to be held in next few months right?, but i was talking 2012. 4 Years.
and given the amount of competiters here in holland, there will be enough attention to the ones wanting it, certainly in a 4 year time span, why such scarce number of fighters? well there arent many.

But common man keep your head up with that attitude you wont get anywhere, im not saying its a walk in the park, but nothing is impossible. ;)

I'm not trying to qualify for the Olympics, and I'm certainly not scared in any way shape or form. I do realize how difficult it is, which you certainly don't. Try reading what I'm saying to you: Whether you're talking about 2008 or 2012 DOESN'T MATTER. There's still only the world championships and two following qual tournaments (which will then be in 2011 and 2012). It simply doesn't matter how many (or few) competitors there are in Holland, because they ONLY take the few VERY strong Holland guys to those tournaments, and even they have very small chances of qualifying, because they're competing against Russians, Bulgarians etc. for a measley 8 slots.

You're not saying it's a walk in the park, but you're saying it's easy work? You say a Dutch kid with 5 fights can qualify, but you're not saying a Dutch kid with 5 fights can qualify? Maybe you should think it through before you write, because you simply don't know what you're talking about. :nonono:

moin126
01-28-2008, 10:04 AM
man you dont seem to get it.
1.There arent many competitors here you agree.
2. Only a few strong guys, ok that makes sense ;)
3. 2012, a 4 year time span.

When you have enough talent, and have done enough amateurs in those years, and also make sure your talents stands out. they will bring you to tournaments. and you get a shot. russians bulgarians doesnt matter, they arent aliens, they dont have 4 legs and 6 arms.

PunchDrunk
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
man you dont seem to get it.
1.There arent many competitors here you agree.
2. Only a few strong guys, ok that makes sense ;)
3. 2012, a 4 year time span.

When you have enough talent, and have done enough amateurs in those years, and also make sure your talents stands out. they will bring you to tournaments. and you get a shot. russians bulgarians doesnt matter, they arent aliens, they dont have 4 legs and 6 arms.

I don't seem to get it? :ugh: you said:Im from holland so, after 5 amateur fights ill be able to compete in such a tournament, why? its a small country,not many amateur boxers, and they arent even in my weight class. Completely ridiculous.
You said:After some fights they send you off to tournaments then you can compete in a qualifier simple as that.No they don't. It's a long, hard road, the guys who Holland send out to these things are boxers with usually 100+ fights, and maybe 80 fights as the lowest.

You said:But you obviously dont know how it works here. there are many qualifying opportunitys like the world championships and 2 others to be held in next few months right? NO, there AREN'T "many qualifying opportunities, there are the world championships held the year before the Olympics, and then two qualifiers to fill out the last of the 8 slots (for 50 European countries!). That is three opportunities every four YEARS. Again, you don't know how it works.

You said:When you have enough talent, and have done enough amateurs in those years, and also make sure your talents stands out There are ONLY eight boxers in each division with enough talent to qualify, in ALL OF EUROPE! That is not easy work.

You said:russians bulgarians doesnt matter, they arent aliens, they dont have 4 legs and 6 arms That is true they don't, but if you ever fought a top Russian, you'd think they did. Just ask the guys in your current national squad.

That's it, I've said my peace and you can go on your way, and continue to be ignorant.

moin126
01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
common punch drunk. you seem like a very negative person. These poeple said 20 fights with good performance and we will send you,If you want to.

Its a long but hard road for those who dont want it. A 4 year time span is enough, hell 2 years is enough, and dont they have world championships every year? So by that time you should have done it atleast twice. Man thats easy.

now raise your glass and toast me.

ruffhouse26
01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
hey guys.

i started to box a few months ago and i love it. i want to know how to get in the 2012 england Olympics, i weigh 52kg and i'm 17. what is the quickest way to get pick for the squad ie which weight category should i fight in and what are the procedures

That's tight bra. I too am aiming for the 2012 olympics. 44 fights and only 2 loses due to inexperience and stubburnness.

cibola4
07-09-2008, 10:48 PM
i guess ill see all of you there...hhaha...i will work until i am in a coma if i have to...even though it wouldnt be too helpful haha...but hopefully everyone that wants to get in here...and is willing to put in the time and effort will get a shot...
Good Luck...
see ya soon

Rafael Benitez
07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Find a busy club that is willing to take you to alot of bouts. STart off by winning the national novie title this year and aim to win the ABA title in the following years. It is a tall task you are looking ta but if you are serious it isn't something that will be easy. You have to be good, you have to be tough and dedicated. Some of the am's you'll be up against will be training harder than some pro's and at a higher level. I'm not going to bother and will take my am experience to the pro's. There is also alot of politcs and bull**** in the am's. That is why I may consider defecting to my country of origin for the Commonwealth games before turning pro, as people I have beaten get preference. Good luck.

PunchDrunk
07-10-2008, 04:47 AM
There is also alot of politcs and bull**** in the am's.

Good thing there's none of that in the pro's. :?!:

Fidayin
07-10-2008, 05:49 AM
In Belgium they started this project where they are looking for young talented boxers.

In december a commision is gonna choose the most talented boxers and they are gonna get trained like pro's for 4 years in the hope Belgium can send boxers to the 2012 Olympics. Those boxers are gonna get paid and have to train like 6 hours a day or something.

I entered the project and i will know in december if they pickt me.
This is the first time ever Belgium invested money in boxing so it's pretty cool.

PunchDrunk
07-10-2008, 06:00 AM
In Belgium they started this project where they are looking for young talented boxers.

In december a commision is gonna choose the most talented boxers and they are gonna get trained like pro's for 4 years in the hope Belgium can send boxers to the 2012 Olympics. Those boxers are gonna get paid and have to train like 6 hours a day or something.

This is the first time ever Belgium invested money in boxing so it's pretty cool.

That's awesome man, good luck! That is exactly what we need here in Denmark. Look at England, they had one Qualified in 2004, one in 2000 and two in 1996. This year they have eight, including their first ever amateur world champion. All because they've done it that way. All the really good nations have programs like that, so anyone wanting to go without being a full time amateur is definitely fighting an uphill battle.

Fidayin
07-10-2008, 07:45 AM
That's awesome man, good luck! That is exactly what we need here in Denmark. Look at England, they had one Qualified in 2004, one in 2000 and two in 1996. This year they have eight, including their first ever amateur world champion. All because they've done it that way. All the really good nations have programs like that, so anyone wanting to go without being a full time amateur is definitely fighting an uphill battle.

Thanks man, i hope other european countries where boxing isn't really popular also start projects like here in Belgium. Those young boxers really need all the support they can get

Hearnsz
07-10-2008, 09:16 AM

Wow mooi. Dan zult ge waarschijnlijk ook nog een paar amateur matchen moeten spelen voor december ? Ik hoop voor u iig dat ge erbij zijt :)
Ik kom trouwens morgen af naar de boksclub in Merksem... Dat is wel 11km fietsen hehe, dan ben ik al opgewarmd.

Fidayin
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Wow mooi. Dan zult ge waarschijnlijk ook nog een paar amateur matchen moeten spelen voor december ? Ik hoop voor u iig dat ge erbij zijt :)
Ik kom trouwens morgen af naar de boksclub in Merksem... Dat is wel 11km fietsen hehe, dan ben ik al opgewarmd.

ah cva prima dan zie ik u morgen wel,als je een beetje later komt is dat niet erg want int begin doen we toch opwarming maar dat heb jij niet meer nodig dan.

Ja ik ga vanaf september beginnen met competitie en dan zal ek hopelijk goe genoeg zijn voor december.